Expired Hot Deals

[Various] HOT Sony X900E series 4k TVs BF pricing Live

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2017 4:14 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
1687 posts
153 upvotes
I've been wanting this tv since black friday. Almost pulled the trigger a few times but at the last moment I always decided to cancel. Today I finally pulled the trigger and paid! My 55" is being shipped tomorrow! Most expensive tv i ever bought!
Aug 29, 2009
469 posts
224 upvotes
Toronto
Can this be officially dubbed as the RedFlagDeals TV of the year?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2801 posts
1570 upvotes
Markham
willy0275 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 5:09 pm
Thanks, now that I'm reading this it seems so obvious, but definitely not a clear distinction for someone like me. Would you suggest having this TV calibrated, does it make a good enough difference?
It depends on individual taste. Some people will find "calibrated" displays too dim orcolors faded for example because for the longest time they are used to jacked up color and brightness.

I think mess around with it yourself first and if you're happy keep it that way. Professional calibration is not very cheap.
Nov 21, 2017
83 posts
23 upvotes
The Destroyer wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 7:49 am
Did they mail this package to you or send by email? I haven't received any information yet but I just ordered it on Nov 23rd.
I got an email. I'd be nice if they sent a physical paper copy too. I guess can always give costco a call or the company that does the warranty if they can send out a paper copy.
Apr 10, 2011
58 posts
6 upvotes
I will surely buy a new TV during Boxing Week. Right now I can't decide between the X900E or the Vizio P. Rtings give them a similar note. As for the price, right now at Costco the Vizio 65 is at 1800$ and I think the X900 went down to 1900$ for the 65.

Any advice? My choice is not the set on the 65, maybe the 55 is best suited for the place I have.
Nov 21, 2017
83 posts
23 upvotes
zonnie wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 2:41 pm
After visiting BB to compare 55" to 65" - Ideally I would of liked to get a 60" if they had it. 55 was a tad small and 65 was a tad big. I ended up going with the 65" TV.

This will be going up in my living room (condo). I redeemed a 600 dollar best buy gift card (20% off black friday sale) using my RBC points.

The sale price was 1899.99 before taxes at best buy. I also negotiated the SONY HTC 290 300 watt soundbar / woofer system for $200 flat.

Grand total: 1793.99 taxes included for the Sony TV 900e + Sony HTC 290 sound bar / woofer.
WTF, how you get all that with taxes and everything for under 1800?
Mar 13, 2010
168 posts
34 upvotes
Ottawa
flipper316 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 7:25 pm
WTF, how you get all that with taxes and everything for under 1800?
He mentioned he used a 600$ gift card.
Feb 8, 2007
420 posts
12 upvotes
zonnie wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 4:55 pm
I just purchased this yesterday. Dec 05 2017. Same deal now as it was during black friday.

BTW:

is getting your TV professionally calibrated worth it? Or should I just go on RTINGS and manually calibrate settings within the TV.

From what I read, professional calibration = professional equipment hooked up to your computer and overriding settings.

Manual calibration set up = going on RTINGS and making fine tuning adjustments allowable within your tv settings.
My local Best Buy has a demo with two tv's beside each other, 1 at default the other at professional calibration.

I was really surprised how much better the calibrated set was, you would think they were two different models of TV.
Jun 11, 2016
12 posts
11 upvotes
wpgcabby wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 7:56 pm
My local Best Buy has a demo with two tv's beside each other, 1 at default the other at professional calibration.

I was really surprised how much better the calibrated set was, you would think they were two different models of TV.
Take a picture of the settings and post them here
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2801 posts
1570 upvotes
Markham
actarus wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 7:21 pm
I will surely buy a new TV during Boxing Week. Right now I can't decide between the X900E or the Vizio P. Rtings give them a similar note. As for the price, right now at Costco the Vizio 65 is at 1800$ and I think the X900 went down to 1900$ for the 65.

Any advice? My choice is not the set on the 65, maybe the 55 is best suited for the place I have.
One thing to keep in mind I believe P series doesn't have built in tuner for OTA if it matters to you.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2801 posts
1570 upvotes
Markham
wpgcabby wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 7:56 pm

They might have messed with the default settings on the uncalibrated TV to exagerate the calibrated picture. Calibration is good but most TVs nowadays have one or two decent presets out of the box so the gap in quality is a bit closer.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2801 posts
1570 upvotes
Markham
willy0275 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 5:09 pm
Thanks, now that I'm reading this it seems so obvious, but definitely not a clear distinction for someone like me. Would you suggest having this TV calibrated, does it make a good enough difference?
This video is a good example of what I was talking about.

Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2004
3537 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
Phat_cow wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 6:30 pm
I've been wanting this tv since black friday. Almost pulled the trigger a few times but at the last moment I always decided to cancel. Today I finally pulled the trigger and paid! My 55" is being shipped tomorrow! Most expensive tv i ever bought!
Where did you buy it from? BB?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2801 posts
1570 upvotes
Markham
jack1984 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 6:59 pm
Can this be officially dubbed as the RedFlagDeals TV of the year?
No, the RFD TV Thread of the year was the BB open box half off sale! It was amazing prices! Sets slashed 50% off from sale prices. Some insane deals although stock varied wildly from store to store.
Apr 18, 2006
283 posts
22 upvotes
I played around with calibration settings from RTINGS and that Quantum guy. My final recommendation is to use RTINGS settings for the Custom picture mode, and use that for movies or tv shows. It might be dim, but you want to watch those videos "the way they were meant to be seen". But for live tv like sports, and especially for something to show off your tv like Planet Earth 2 on Netflix, use the default Standard settings. At most, play with the brightness or the colour of the Standard setting. You might see for sports that uniform colours aren't right, so raise that up or down. And brightness of course has to do with your room.

But start with Planet Earth 2 at the Standard setting and you'll be blown away.

Thread Information

There are currently 6 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 3 guests)

signup, reflame, aljavi