[Various] HOT Sony X900E series 4k TVs BF pricing Live

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2017 12:39 am
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2426 posts
376 upvotes
Toronto
For those who ordered from costco, what shipping courier did they use?
Dec 28, 2011
284 posts
74 upvotes
TORONTO
Troydabes wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 7:40 am
Got my Costco X75X900E order from Costco online delivered via Sameday Worldwide ("Same year" in my case) on Tuesday of this week. They showed up an hour after calling, placed the TV box on a blanket I'd placed so I could pull it around my house and start unpacking it. Gorgeous TV, especially for Planet Earth 2 on 4k Bluray, coming from 60" Samsung 3D Plasma circa 2012.
Aug 4, 2008
55 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Troydabes wrote:
Canpar for my TV in downtown Toronto. Awful service and absolutely did not adhere to Costco.ca's curbside delivery information here: Costco's Curbside Delivery info

They did not call to schedule a time for pick-up, and tried to deliver outside of the promised 8am-5pm delivery window. Canpar did not answer their phones/emails, and upon first delivery attempt noted that I was "not home", when I was. They didn't attempt a second delivery, and dropped the TV off at a package pick-up centre.
Last edited by thejick on Dec 7th, 2017 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jan 10, 2009
72 posts
3 upvotes
Winnipeg
Troydabes wrote:
Got the 75. Sameday as well for me, and gave me 2 different days as options, picked my day and the guys called about an hour before they arrived.
Rolly's Transfer was the company that delivered it for me. I slipped them $20 and they took it downstairs for me (best $20 I spent this year) They were great.
Apr 2, 2017
67 posts
30 upvotes
Finally managed to read through the entire thread. Only took me two weeks.

Bought the TV from Costco + warranty , congrats to everyone on their purchase!
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
1766 posts
93 upvotes
York
Troydabes wrote:
I am just outside the GTA and my TV was delivered yesterday by Sameday (bad name for them as it was anything but). I got a call last Tuesday to schedule an appointment and I chose last Thursday. I think great this will work out really well. Think again, I get a call on Wednesday late afternoon after I already made arrangements to be home on Thursday and they call to tell me they aren't delivering in my "area" on Thursday and I need to pick another date (Friday or Saturday). Saturday was apparently full but I got them to squeeze me in after some fight with the CSR. So I thought, as Saturday rolls around I get no phone calls and no delivery.

I call in on Monday to reem them out and they then tell me they don't even know where my package is as it was checked out for the weekend but never delivered. I was ready to cancel the whole order at this point as this was beyond frustrating and just terrible service. I call in again on Tuesday and they found the item and I scheduled for a Wednesday delivery. I still had no faith in them at this point but the TV finally got delivered yesterday around 3pm. But I didn't receive a phone call to alert me of the delivery and despite having two people in the truck, only the driver grabbed the 55" out of the back and gave me a mini heart attack when he almost dropped it. Oh and in my case they used a Budget truck for the delivery. :facepalm: Costco seriously needs to make a deal with a more reputable courier.

At least I got the TV and will be calibrating it this evening.
"It's how you deal with failure that determines how you achieve success."
Jan 16, 2011
561 posts
90 upvotes
Out There!!!!
X24Secret wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 7:03 pm
It depends on individual taste. Some people will find "calibrated" displays too dim orcolors faded for example because for the longest time they are used to jacked up color and brightness.

I think mess around with it yourself first and if you're happy keep it that way. Professional calibration is not very cheap.
Using these settings on cinema home with some added brightness.
Feb 8, 2013
87 posts
10 upvotes
zonnie wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 4:55 pm
I just purchased this yesterday. Dec 05 2017. Same deal now as it was during black friday.

Did you order from Best Buy online? What delivery time frame did you get?

Kev
Apr 18, 2014
11 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I checked it out online but went in store and placed the order.

Free delivery to store. Estimated arrival time time Dec 27 or sooner.
Aug 5, 2015
419 posts
149 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Hey folks, I've got a very specific question but maybe someone would be able to test it and answer me.

Is there a way to play a 4K 10bit HEVC/HDR encoded *MKV* files directly from the TV through external USB drive? I know the LG can do it (have to rename MKV to MP4 I think) but I have not found a similar information about the Sony X900E.

I currently have a Kodi setup on a 6 years old 1080p HTPC but there's no way this can play 4K HEVC, and only recent Intel CPUs (7th generation) will be able to hardware-decode 10bit/HDR HEVC. The Nvidia Shield for directly playing 4K HEVC files might be the cheapest solution if nothing else works...

PS: I know I should be asking on AVSForum's owner thread but I don't have an account yet, so I'm checking here first... or might wait until I get the TV in less than two weeks.
Happy Koodo customer :-)
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2002
3951 posts
681 upvotes
Vancouver
dont flame me here guys but is there such thing as 4k HDR HDMI Cable? Do i need the lastest 2.0a to get it? i have some older HDMI cables (1.3) are these good enougth for 4K? Thanks
Aug 5, 2015
419 posts
149 upvotes
Montreal, QC
hesp wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 11:17 am
dont flame me here guys but is there such thing as 4k HDR HDMI Cable? Do i need the lastest 2.0a to get it? i have some older HDMI cables (1.3) are these good enougth for 4K? Thanks
It's only about bandwidth. I'm not sure about my old cables so I got myself two Amazonbasics HDMI cables just in case, that support ~17Mbps I think.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
1766 posts
93 upvotes
York
hesp wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 11:17 am
1.3 won't have enough bandwidth for 4K (10gbps or something). Just grab anything that specifies "High Speed HDMI" or "latest standard". Amazon has some great cables for this under their basics line. That's all you'll need.
"
"It's how you deal with failure that determines how you achieve success."
Jun 11, 2017
8 posts
6 upvotes
Here's my limited experience... not sure if it is exactly what you're looking for, but hope it'll help. I went to the 4kmedia.org site and downloaded all their Demos (from Samsung, LG, Sony, etc.) onto a USB drive, and tested a few of them. Sony demos obviously played fine, but some of the LG ones studders a bit in the beginning, then plays fine for awhile (from the built in video player). I'm not sure about the specifics of the LG files, but the TV definitely struggled with some of them. I'm going to test a few movies in the next few weeks, hopefully I don't have to spend more money on a Shield player.

willy0275 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 11:04 am
Hey folks, I've got a very specific question but maybe someone would be able to test it and answer me.

Is there a way to play a 4K 10bit HEVC/HDR encoded *MKV* files directly from the TV through external USB drive? I know the LG can do it (have to rename MKV to MP4 I think) but I have not found a similar information about the Sony X900E.

I currently have a Kodi setup on a 6 years old 1080p HTPC but there's no way this can play 4K HEVC, and only recent Intel CPUs (7th generation) will be able to hardware-decode 10bit/HDR HEVC. The Nvidia Shield for directly playing 4K HEVC files might be the cheapest solution if nothing else works...

PS: I know I should be asking on AVSForum's owner thread but I don't have an account yet, so I'm checking here first... or might wait until I get the TV in less than two weeks.
Aug 5, 2015
419 posts
149 upvotes
Montreal, QC
avx1xva wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 11:36 am
Here's my limited experience... not sure if it is exactly what you're looking for, but hope it'll help. I went to the 4kmedia.org site and downloaded all their Demos (from Samsung, LG, Sony, etc.) onto a USB drive, and tested a few of them. Sony demos obviously played fine, but some of the LG ones studders a bit in the beginning, then plays fine for awhile (from the built in video player). I'm not sure about the specifics of the LG files, but the TV definitely struggled with some of them. I'm going to test a few movies in the next few weeks, hopefully I don't have to spend more money on a Shield player.
Thanks! The thing is, a "4K video" is very vague and it doesn't mean the video is HVEC/10bit/HDR... so I guess the test needs to be done with the highest possible quality video that includes HDR. Also, as you said, Sony optimized their videos to work on their TVs... so I guess there's no easy answer until I try my own MKV files myself. Thanks for reporting your tests!

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 1 guest)

buda, ssmh131, cookie15