• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2017 12:04 am
Aug 5, 2015
465 posts
163 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Big Fat wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 1:59 pm
GT 1030 for right around $100 will play most everything too.
If I were building a new HTPC I'd probably go with this card, but then a new HTPC would cost me more than an Nvidia Shield and the Shield can probably play anything I throw at it. That's the thing, even though I'm not crazy about Android TV.
Happy Koodo customer :-)
Nov 17, 2003
69 posts
willy0275 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 2:17 pm
If I were building a new HTPC I'd probably go with this card, but then a new HTPC would cost me more than an Nvidia Shield and the Shield can probably play anything I throw at it. That's the thing, even though I'm not crazy about Android TV.
Gotcha.

I only upgraded my old HTPC because I was frustrated with the way Kodi/Plex handle (or don't handle) audio on the Android TV.
Aug 5, 2015
465 posts
163 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Big Fat wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 3:09 pm
Gotcha.

I only upgraded my old HTPC because I was frustrated with the way Kodi/Plex handle (or don't handle) audio on the Android TV.
Since I'm used to OpenELEC, I've had bad experience with Android TV before because on top of Kodi, you need to fiddle around settings IN Android sometimes to make things work smoothly. The advantage of Kodi OSes like OpenELEC, LibreELEC and OSMC is that the OS is *built* for Kodi, so it has a very low footprint. Anyway, I just decided to go for the Vero 4K, ordered from the UK. It seems to be the *only* pre-assembled HTPC that can do pure 4K HEVC 10-bit with hardware acceleration for lower than CAD$200... It has good reviews. I'll give it a shot. I think I will keep my current 1080p HTPC to play 1080p files and let the Sony do the upscaling, and play 2160p with the Vero 4K. I'm going through a 4K receiver so having two HTPC with two different resolutions might be the easiest solution if I don't want to have to switch resolutions and fiddle with different settings at different levels.
Happy Koodo customer :-)
Oct 25, 2017
58 posts
26 upvotes
For anyone thinking about upgrading their HTPC, unless you're PC gaming, do yourself a favour and opt for the much cheaper (and possibly better), Nvidia Shield.

It's destroying the performance of my i5 with 16GB ram right now. Playing 4k HEVC 10bit HDR with ease - I can skip through the entire movie with no delays as well. On top of that, the "built for TV" interface on Android TV beats anything Windows can do from a visual perspective. Res. switching is also seamless.

I also just picked up a FLIRC which allows me to use any remote to control Kodi (emulates the keyboard). Neat little device.

Yes, you can opt for a cheaper alternative, but the Nvidia shield is getting the most love, which means it'll be updated and supported the most. Definitely worth whatever the difference may be.

My only problem now is to figure out a way to make the native Sony Android TV play perfectly nice with the Shield (and my Google home mini)
Nov 17, 2003
69 posts
humphreyb wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 3:38 pm
My only problem now is to figure out a way to make the native Sony Android TV play perfectly nice with the Shield (and my Google home mini)
What issues are you having with the Sony and the Shield?
Oct 25, 2017
58 posts
26 upvotes
Big Fat wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 3:42 pm
What issues are you having with the Sony and the Shield?
Sony remote: can't reprogram this remote and buttons are hardcoded to the native Android TV (AFAIK). I'd prefer that when I use the Sony remote and hit the voice button, that it will prompt a voice search on the Shield. Instead, it leaves the Shield and goes back to the TV OS. Only way i've been able to get around it is to use a Harmony remote and just have the Shield remote nearby for voice.

I was hoping the Google Home was smart enough to realize that there's multiple listen devices in the same room, and that they should all accept the same inputs - they don't. Android TV OS accepts different commands than the regular Home at this point. The TV was also horribly bad at responding to voices coming from the TV. I had to disable the Sony "OK google" without pressing the button.
Nov 7, 2014
28 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
MotorN wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 1:19 pm
55" is back on Costco, sales price ends today....

https://m.costco.ca/Sony-XBR55X900E-55- ... 86621.html
I need some recommendation, 55X900E was what I wanted to to get but due to the lack of stock I bought 65X850E. I like the screen size but not sure if there is that much of the difference in terms of video quality/hardware spec to go for 900E instead.
Nov 5, 2009
396 posts
125 upvotes
GTA
mclyin wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 3:56 pm
I need some recommendation, 55X900E was what I wanted to to get but due to the lack of stock I bought 65X850E. I like the screen size but not sure if there is that much of the difference in terms of video quality/hardware spec to go for 900E instead.
Others are better suited to give you a recommendation then I. I bought a P55-E1 that has issues. I bought a P65-E1 a few days ago that went from a $1200 savings to $200 savings in 2 days. Costco charged me taxes on $3000 price tag. If this 55" Sony was available 2 days ago I would have bought it.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2005
1130 posts
268 upvotes
Scarborough
mclyin wrote:
i believed 900E has full array local dimming so better black levels? i have an older sony with FALD and everyone who sees it complements how good it looks.
Sep 1, 2006
165 posts
16 upvotes
Newmarket
mclyin wrote:
There are two major differences. The 900 has full array backlight, the 850 is bottom edge light with no local dimming. The 900 is also about twice as bright for HDR.
Sep 22, 2009
52 posts
16 upvotes
So many have bought this TV, would someone who has received the 900E (55 or 65) kindly share their awesome system set up :). Perhaps some of us can use your technical know how......
Jul 29, 2006
276 posts
162 upvotes
Quebec city
hesp wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 11:17 am
dont flame me here guys but is there such thing as 4k HDR HDMI Cable? Do i need the lastest 2.0a to get it? i have some older HDMI cables (1.3) are these good enougth for 4K? Thanks
You need 18Gps cables. High Speed is not enough because it could be 10.2 Gbps.

You don't have to pay a high price. Here are examples:

https://www.amazon.ca/IBRA-Orange-HDMI- ... rds=18gbps
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/18Gbps-New-HDMI- ... XQyY1TQ7xb

Added for fun... If you want to pay more. ;)
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ha ... 86670.aspx?
Last edited by DanTou on Dec 7th, 2017 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nov 23, 2010
39 posts
9 upvotes
Calgary
hesp wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 11:17 am
dont flame me here guys but is there such thing as 4k HDR HDMI Cable? Do i need the lastest 2.0a to get it? i have some older HDMI cables (1.3) are these good enougth for 4K? Thanks
1.4 adds 4K support, 2.0a adds HDR support. Thats the HDMI version, cables dont really matter that much, they are just wires really Smiling Face With Sunglasses. Get anything that says high speed. HDMI 2.1 will need new cables though, since they made hardware changes I believe.
Oct 25, 2017
58 posts
26 upvotes
tha_bandit wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 6:13 pm
1.4 adds 4K support, 2.0a adds HDR support. Thats the HDMI version, cables dont really matter that much, they are just wires really Smiling Face With Sunglasses. Get anything that says high speed. HDMI 2.1 will need new cables though, since they made hardware changes I believe.
Yes, new cables but with the same port at least. Fully backwards compatible.
Apr 18, 2006
283 posts
22 upvotes
Everyone talking about the Nvidia Shield and htpc's. Once you get one, you basically stop using the "smart tv" functions of your new TV?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

TwistedAmnesia