Hot Deals

[Various] HOT Sony X900E series 4k TVs BF pricing Live (Bestbuy offering 10% back as giftcard)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2017 2:18 am
Sep 26, 2017
60 posts
13 upvotes
zabuza wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 4:21 pm
They look blurrier than on a native 1080p display, so fine details are noticeably obscured (I believe they call this the Vaseline Effect). It's pretty similar to what I've experienced running games on PC monitors below native resolution in the past, maybe not quite as bad, but bad enough that I opted to take the performance hit and just run games in 4K.

I mean, it's what I suspected but I bought the TV anyway based on feedback I read here and elsewhere on the internet. It's entirely possible I've done something wrong, but I definitely ran the games in 1080p full screen mode (borderless windowed doesn't work well with my desktop at 4K), with the TV correctly reporting a 1080p image. I also tried a desktop res of 1080p, but no dice.

Not sure if it matters, but my video output is 4:4:4 Limited. Also, I've only tested PC games and 4K PS4 games; I'll try Persona 5 when I get home and see how that looks.

Edit: I read stores are selling the LG B7 55" OLED for roughly the same price as the 65" X900E. Definitely a display worth considering.
This is a non issue. Apart from this being the first time I think it's been stated as an issue online, if it's a bother you can turn on sharpness if needed. Also, you are playing using a pc. The majority of games will be playing with a console that outputs on dynamic 4K.
Nov 5, 2017
89 posts
21 upvotes
CGE925 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 4:36 pm
Thanks. That's about the upper limit of what I'm prepared to spend, so it may happen at that price. Any chance BB might also throw in extras like gift cards or cheaper extended warranties on BF?
I am not sure about Bestbuy sorry
I do know however if they offer extra stuff on the TV purchase such as a gift card it goes against MAP Policy.
Warranty is another beast I am unsure about.

I do know these are the prices and they will not go lower just by themselves you'll have to add stuff on or purchase more to get it cheaper than these prices.
Feb 8, 2012
31 posts
12 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Chewfam wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 2:50 pm
Make an effort to scroll back a few pages. The last few pages have already been repeat questions and answers.
My bad, I thought those prices weren't the "final" for BF.
Aug 5, 2015
265 posts
112 upvotes
Montreal, QC
zabuza wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 4:21 pm
I mean, it's what I suspected but I bought the TV anyway based on feedback I read here and elsewhere on the internet. It's entirely possible I've done something wrong, but I definitely ran the games in 1080p full screen mode (borderless windowed doesn't work well with my desktop at 4K), with the TV correctly reporting a 1080p image. I also tried a desktop res of 1080p, but no dice.
I believe you when you say 1080p gaming could be worse on this 4K TV than a native 1080p, it doesn't make much sense based on what I know but there are many unknown factors to me that could make this true. I'm still debating going to 4K but I'm going to be mostly watching 720p and 1080p for a while, also playing the normal PS4, so I'll have to get more information before making the switch to 4K!
Happy Koodo customer :-)
Oct 2, 2011
847 posts
209 upvotes
Edmonton
It'd be sick if the 49" was around $1000. I'm assuming the Vizio M55-E0 will be going to around $800 or so, anyone know what the lowest price has been for that TV historically? At the current BF prices listed it'd be stupid not to get the 55" if you're looking at the Sony.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2002
1492 posts
105 upvotes
CillinR833881 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 4:38 pm
This is a non issue. Apart from this being the first time I think it's been stated as an issue online, if it's a bother you can turn on sharpness if needed. Also, you are playing using a pc. The majority of games will be playing with a console that outputs on dynamic 4K.
Just providing feedback for those who may have similar usage requirements. I'll provide an update for console-specific usage. Still loving the TV, 4K HDR content looks terrific.
willy0275 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 5:10 pm

I believe you when you say 1080p gaming could be worse on this 4K TV than a native 1080p, it doesn't make much sense based on what I know but there are many unknown factors to me that could make this true. I'm still debating going to 4K but I'm going to be mostly watching 720p and 1080p for a while, also playing the normal PS4, so I'll have to get more information before making the switch to 4K!
My feedback pertains only to PC gaming. I'm not sure what to expect out of consoles, but we'll see in a bit. If the IQ is better, that suggests a problem with my PC configuration and, perhaps, I'll be able to remedy it with a bit of tweaking.

Edit: 1080p PS4 games look identical. I tried Yakuza: Kiwami and Persona 5, neither of which support 4K resolution. The TV seems to just upscale it to 4K and I don't notice any degradation in quality, so I probably need to mess around a bit more with my PC settings.

Edit 2: Turns out I didn't have GPU scaling disabled. I did do a clean install of my drivers, so that probably reset my settings. With GPU scaling disabled, I definitely notice a marked improvement in 1080p. There's still a slight degradation in quality, but it's nowhere near what it was previously and it's actually quite nice. Turning AA on tends to muddle the IQ a bit, but is still a nicer result than with GPU scaling enabled.

TL;DR - 1080p console games look the same at 4K. PC gaming at 1080p looks slightly worse, but not terribly so.
Last edited by zabuza on Nov 14th, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17743 posts
201 upvotes
YVR
wetcardboard wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 5:26 pm
It'd be sick if the 49" was around $1000. I'm assuming the Vizio M55-E0 will be going to around $800 or so, anyone know what the lowest price has been for that TV historically? At the current BF prices listed it'd be stupid not to get the 55" if you're looking at the Sony.
That's what I was saying earlier. If the 49" was at $1000, I'd be all over it.
Oct 2, 2011
847 posts
209 upvotes
Edmonton
Apparently the Xbox One S and PS4 Pro do a pretty fine job of upscaling so I'm sure there's something that can be done in Nvidia control panel to improve things. Because broadcast tv isn't as sharp and is a lower res it probably isn't as noticeable so the upconverting for that looks fine.
Nov 8, 2017
14 posts
2 upvotes
wetcardboard wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 5:26 pm
If the Vizio goes down to $800 then price/performance ratio blows this Sony out of the water. $500 less for 95% of the performance.

https://www.cnet.com/products/vizio-m65-e0/review/
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
1735 posts
81 upvotes
York
I went to the local Costco this evening and they didn't have any of the 900E models instock (and this is apparently one of their better stores). They only had the lower 720 model.

Does this mean that they will put the 900E for sale on the website? Or will they perhaps just bring them in for the sale in stores for the length of the sale? Really want to take advantage of this deal when it happens.
"It's how you deal with failure that determines how you achieve success."
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2720 posts
211 upvotes
The Destroyer wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:09 pm
I went to the local Costco this evening and they didn't have any of the 900E models instock (and this is apparently one of their better stores). They only had the lower 720 model.

Does this mean that they will put the 900E for sale on the website? Or will they perhaps just bring them in for the sale in stores for the length of the sale? Really want to take advantage of this deal when it happens.
What do you mean? They have them in various sizes on their website

What sale do you speak of?
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
1735 posts
81 upvotes
York
Red_Army wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:10 pm
What do you mean? They have them in various sizes on their website

What sale do you speak of?
If you read the last 2-3 pages of this thread, you will see their is likely a further reduction on the prices of the Sonys for Costcos black Friday sale. Ex. 55" 900E for $1299.
"It's how you deal with failure that determines how you achieve success."
Nov 3, 2013
229 posts
141 upvotes
Regina, SK
The Destroyer wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:15 pm
If you read the last 2-3 pages of this thread, you will see their is likely a further reduction on the prices of the Sonys for Costcos black Friday sale. Ex. 55" 900E for $1299.
Order online now. When they go down Black Friday email/call customer service for price adjustment.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2720 posts
211 upvotes
The Destroyer wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:15 pm
I didn’t realize that was for Costco specifically, as I thought those were just blanket prices for the big box stores.

I’ve never heard of Costco having Black Friday sales. Seems odd to me
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide

Thread Information

There are currently 30 users viewing this thread. (18 members and 12 guests)

colourwolf, Aaaaaron, Meep, Clutch77, willy0275, Endlesscc, InDogWeTrust, omfgwtf, DealHunter73, Sanek2k6, jdantez@hotmail.com, gcw23, amuseddaysleeper, Pikka, Cealess, zenpig, fuzzdeals, aleks77