Hot Deals

[Various Retailers] Gift Card Deals And Discounts (2018)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2018 5:12 pm
Jul 27, 2016
240 posts
185 upvotes
Ok, I’ve bought three $100 Petro Canada gift cards on three different transactions each a week or two apart.
Rather than buying reloads I’ve been getting the physical card since that’s the only way to get the discount card for $0.05/L off over 200L.

Got them thru the Ebates Gift Card Shop where the banner shows 3% cash back. The checkout says you’ll earn $3.00 cash back on the $100 purchase.

On the first one Ebates gave me $2 cash back
On the second Ebates gave me $3 cash back
On the one yesterday Ebates gave me $1 only

I make screenshots of the transactions as I do them so I’m sure they all said 3%

So why am I getting notifications from Ebates saying different amounts each time?
Images
  • 451DAEDA-3B08-4721-ACD3-B12E9437BFD8.jpeg
Aug 23, 2012
806 posts
414 upvotes
Everywhere
Staples has 25% off all ink today. not sure if it stacks with the GC offer.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
1189 posts
381 upvotes
PierreS299131 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 4:59 pm
Ok, I’ve bought three $100 Petro Canada gift cards on three different transactions each a week or two apart.
Rather than buying reloads I’ve been getting the physical card since that’s the only way to get the discount card for $0.05/L off over 200L.

Got them thru the Ebates Gift Card Shop where the banner shows 3% cash back. The checkout says you’ll earn $3.00 cash back on the $100 purchase.

On the first one Ebates gave me $2 cash back
On the second Ebates gave me $3 cash back
On the one yesterday Ebates gave me $1 only

I make screenshots of the transactions as I do them so I’m sure they all said 3%

So why am I getting notifications from Ebates saying different amounts each time?
First, you do get the discount card for $0.05/L off over 200L when buying the reload card, but not when you buy reloads because they don't send anything in the mail when buying reload. I have bought them before.
Second, the rebate % changes all the time. So I think they sometime changed the rebate rate on one screen while not the other(i.e. lowered the rebate rate on the list of all gift cards screen and forgot to change the screen after clicking the actual gift card to see the detail). You should have received confirmation email for every transaction with the rebate % for each transaction. If you received less actual rebate credit than the confirmation email, you should email them and ask. The same situation happened to me and they gave me back more rebate credit after I emailed them.
Jul 27, 2016
240 posts
185 upvotes
immortal_kssss wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 1:42 pm
I think he can combine use RBC discount with GC,I used to do that when I had CIBC Petro canada card but not anymore because I have no RBC credit card.
If RBC discount used to work like CIBC Petro canada card,so he just fill more than the value of the GC by a few bucks,so he can use both credit card and gift card.
I can confirm now you can get $0.08/L for the entire purchase using the combination of gift card, PPC & RBC debit card.
Finished off the final $31 of my gift card and paid another $4.07 on debit for 39 litres.
Paid 89.9 when the posted price was 97.9

The only hard part was finding a PetroCan which allows fill before pay. The first one I went to wants everyone to prepay and I can’t figure out how this would work on prepay.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2010
6634 posts
2062 upvotes
Mississauga
PierreS299131 wrote:
Mar 10th, 2018 12:23 am
I can confirm now you can get $0.08/L for the entire purchase using the combination of gift card, PPC & RBC debit card.
Finished off the final $31 of my gift card and paid another $4.07 on debit for 39 litres.

The only hard part was finding a PetroCan which allows fill before pay. The first one I went to wants everyone to prepay and I can’t figure out how this would work on prepay.
Thank you for getting back to me,it depends on your area,,did they want you to prepay at day light ?
Mar 25, 2010
824 posts
96 upvotes
GTA
Just want to confirm this from what I read from people post the price match policy from Staple website.

Another example: If you buy an item from us for $159 and you have a coupon for $25 off a $100 order, as well as a $20 mail-in rebate, the net price is $114. If another company’s price is $110, your price match savings would be $4.

equivalents to

Another example: If you buy an item from us for $159.(no coupon, no MIR). If another company’s price is $110, your price match savings would be $49.

Both case the final price is $110 and I don't think people care about how much they save. Or people do care?
Jul 27, 2016
240 posts
185 upvotes
immortal_kssss wrote:
Mar 10th, 2018 12:27 am
Thank you for getting back to me,it depends on your area,,did they want you to prepay at day light ?
The pumps have a permanent sign saying “pay at pump or prepay in-store” at the one station but I think it’s at the manager’s preference not bylaw or chain policy since the next PetroCan didn’t have the signs and didn’t require me to prepay.
It was between 6-7pm so not late but already dark out.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
1189 posts
381 upvotes
PierreS299131 wrote:
Mar 10th, 2018 12:23 am

What order of cards did you use to pay(i.e. did you give the Petro Can point card first, then PPC, then gift card and the RBC card last)? If you gave the RBC card last, how did the system know you were going to use a RBC card and give you the discount when using gift card? At point did the cashier tell you the net total after discount you had to pay? Did the cashier tell you the net total after discount after you gave the Petro point card, PPC, gift card or RBC card? If it worked, then it must be a bug in their system. A perfect system should only allow price discount on the amt of RBC card payment. May be it would even allow discount on the whole transaction amt if I pay 5 cents using a RBC card and the rest on a Petro Can gift card. May be you don't even need to pay with any RBC card. May be the system assumes or hopes you would pay with a RBC card when it is not required because it is advertised that way. Maybe someone can do an experiment and buy 1 L gas, pay for the whole amt using a Petro Can gift card, except the last 5 cents using a RBC card. I don't see a difference between using a RBC card to pay $4.07 or $0.05.
Jul 27, 2016
240 posts
185 upvotes
ml88888888 wrote:
Mar 10th, 2018 6:57 am
What order of cards did you use to pay(i.e. did you give the Petro Can point card first, then PPC, then gift card and the RBC card last)? If you gave the RBC card last, how did the system know you were going to use a RBC card and give you the discount when using gift card? At point did the cashier tell you the net total after discount you had to pay? Did the cashier tell you the net total after discount after you gave the Petro point card, PPC, gift card or RBC card? If it worked, then it must be a bug in their system. A perfect system should only allow price discount on the amt of RBC card payment. May be it would even allow discount on the whole transaction amt if I pay 5 cents using a RBC card and the rest on a Petro Can gift card. May be you don't even need to pay with any RBC card. May be the system assumes or hopes you would pay with a RBC card when it is not required because it is advertised that way. Maybe someone can do an experiment and buy 1 L gas, pay for the whole amt using a Petro Can gift card, except the last 5 cents using a RBC card. I don't see a difference between using a RBC card to pay $4.07 or $0.05.
Yes, you have to use the PPC card first to get the initial $0.05/L discount. Then use the last dollars on the GC to pay the bulk of the transaction. RBC card last to get the $0.03/L on the full purchase.

I haven’t tried nor would I think they could put a partial amount on the GC if the balance of the gift card exceeded the purchase amount. If that were possible, doing so would call attention to the “flaw” that allows the RBC discount to cover every litre. Maybe most cashiers wouldn’t care but after one or two store managers/owners catch on they might complain to RBC/PetroCan head office and get the bug fixed.

The system doesn’t alert them when you’re emptying out your gift card then paying the balance with RBC. In my case they saw the PPC discount and after the $31.00 on the gift card was applied they said I owed $5.24
I used the RBC card to pay the $5.24 but after the card said APPROVED the amount changed to $4.07 which was the secondary discount removing 39 litres of $0.03 each.

I never would have thought to try it if I hadn’t read the post from another RFDer who said it had worked on a previous promotion.

Next experiment is to try paying $5.00 on the RBC card after PPC then the balance of the purchase on a full PetroCan GC. I can’t imagine the RBC discount will work but who knows?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
3160 posts
6409 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
Thanks to @nick7423 for the heads-up thread, Canadian Tire and Apple App Store & iTunes GC's will be on sale for 10% off for the upcoming SDM Super Sale (note the dates):

Note
: it appears there is another offer - WaySpa & The Keg gets 30k PC Optimum points back. Not sure on what GC value needs to be purchased. I'll add the offer when I get more info on it
Aug 14, 2014
385 posts
175 upvotes
Any sale on google store gift cards soon?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
3160 posts
6409 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
Esg876 wrote:
Mar 10th, 2018 8:51 pm
Any sale on google store gift cards soon?
Haven't seen anything discount-wise this year on Google Play store GC's. New flyers should be available Tues/Wed.

Per the 2017 thread, the first deal last year was in April:

[Apr 15 to 21] - [ Shoppers Drug Mart / Pharmaprix (QC) ] - Google Play: Purchase $25 or $50 Google Play GC's (bottom of page 3), Cashier To Enter PLU 21217 for $25 GC or PLU 21218 for $50 GC To Get Discount - 10% Off
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
3160 posts
6409 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
Thanks to OP, 30,000 PC Optimum points ($30 value) for $200 spend on WaySpa / The Keg GC's, added:

• [Mar 17 & 18] - [ Shoppers Drug Mart / Pharmaprix (QC) ] - WaySpa / The Keg: Spend $200 On WaySpa Or The Keg GC's And Get 30,000 PC Optimum Points ($30 Value) (Top Middle Of Page 2 Of Mar 17 to 23 Flyer) - 30,000 PC Optimum Points ($30 Value)
May 17, 2017
87 posts
191 upvotes
trystee wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 10:09 pm
Active - Ongoing

• [ Amazon.ca ] - [ New GC Customers ] - TARGETED - YMMV - Supposedly For New GC Amazon Customers - Buy A $50 Amazon GC And Get $10 Back
  • [ Amazon.ca ] - [ 0118GIFTCA ] - TARGETED - YMMV - Purchase At Least $50 In Amazon.ca GC's In A Single Order By January 31, 2018 And Receive A $10 Promotional Credit Automatically Applied To Your Account After The Qualifying Order Has Shipped. An Email Notification Will Also Be Sent Within Three (3) Days After Shipping, Confirming Your Amazon.ca Promotional Credit
  • [ Aroma Espresso Bar (GTA) ] - Charge Your Aroma Espresso Bar Black Card With A Minimum Of $50 And Receive An Additional 10% On Your Card - Bonus 10%
  • [ Ebates Gift Card Shop ] - [ Thread Info ] - Get Cash Back When You Buy Your Gift Cards Through Ebates Gift Card Shop. Cash Back Amounts Vary From 2.0% To 10% Back Based On Retailer's GC Selected. According To The Thread, GC's On This Site Are Affiliated With CardSwap
  • [ Subway ] - [ Subway GC ] - Get A Free 6" Sub When You Buy Or Reload Your Subway GC With $25, Valid At Participating Locations (In-Store Promotion) - Free 6" Sub
the 2nd one seems to be expired, no?
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2015
1027 posts
633 upvotes
Mont-Royal, QC
[Mar 17 to 23] - [ Shoppers Drug Mart / Pharmaprix (QC) ] - Canadian Tire: Get 10% Off Canadian Tire GC's (Top Left Of Page 2 Of Mar 17 to 23 Flyer) - 10% Off

Thanks for the update!

Thread Information

There are currently 10 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 9 guests)

folkman