Hot Deals

[Various] Sony X900E series 4k TVs new price low on all sizes (Now with leaked BF pricing)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2017 4:35 pm
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
17491 posts
3781 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Discovered that you can't control Netflix with Google Home on Android TV yet. I have to say it is getting pretty confusing what you can control with what in the google assistant universe right now, but I feel like Google is committed to bringing it all together... eventually. I read in this case it's actually Netflix's fault though.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10475 posts
3791 upvotes
BinaryJay wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:24 pm
I've seen some complaining in forums about 930D owners that seem to show a pattern that the 930 series does not get updates as fast/frequently/at all compared to 900 series. I think they sell SIGNIFICANTLY fewer 930 and it gets less post-sale love from Sony because of this. May want to take this into consideration when you are convincing yourself that a very seldom used and arguably inconsequential with current panel technology dolby vision function is worth the extra dough.
I have heard from @vonblock who has seen both HDR10 and Dolby Vision that there is little to no noticeable difference between HDR10 and Dolby Vision, if any.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Feb 19, 2017
257 posts
132 upvotes
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 3:03 am
Which Visions location? The one by Marine Drive? $1399 is a pretty good price, but I don't know what Visions' policy is when dealing with dead pixels.

Do you know how much they're selling the 49" and the 65" X900E for?
I actually find the one just passed metro being more willing to haggle so you might want to try there. They also have a lot less foot traffic so might be more willing to work out a deal (the location isn't exactly a hot spot).

I'll probably be going there around (after) BF to see what deal i can get on 65 or 75" X900E. Maybe Friday night depending on rather or not i head to the states this year (so far siding towards no but i'll let my better half decide).
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
17491 posts
3781 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
SickBeast wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 4:19 pm
I have heard from @vonblock who has seen both HDR10 and Dolby Vision that there is little to no noticeable difference between HDR10 and Dolby Vision, if any.
It's because it's like playing back some pristine mastered FLAC file on a radio shack PC speaker from the 90s. There is only so much you can get from that speaker, detail in the source after a certain point doesn't matter. The existing HDR10 standard will not keep up with panel technology forever but for anything you're buying right now my understanding is it is good enough and the fact that it's ubiquitous means it will stick around for a long time even after it gets legitimately superseded.

Anybody thinking that they're getting something tangible from Dolby Vision in something like the M series vizios is getting a little misled.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10475 posts
3791 upvotes
BinaryJay wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 4:40 pm
It's because it's like playing back some pristine mastered FLAC file on a radio shack PC speaker from the 90s. There is only so much you can get from that speaker, detail in the source after a certain point doesn't matter. The existing HDR10 standard will not keep up with panel technology forever but for anything you're buying right now my understanding is it is good enough and the fact that it's ubiquitous means it will stick around for a long time even after it gets legitimately superseded.

Anybody thinking that they're getting something tangible from Dolby Vision in something like the M series vizios is getting a little misled.
Honestly we need some type of technology breakthrough for them to make better TVs than the x900e. Sure there are more advanced LED TVs, but they are incrementally better. OLED is a clear step up but it's way too expensive and the burn in issue is a big deal. I'm not sure how much more they can get out of LED technology. Heck, I'm not even sure how much better we need televisions to be. I'm planning to keep my 75" Sharp for a long time to come.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10475 posts
3791 upvotes
Hey did you guys notice that Best Buy USA has a 75" Sony 4k HDR TV for $2000USD for Black Friday? That looks interesting to me. I wonder what model it is.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
17491 posts
3781 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
SickBeast wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 6:05 pm
Hey did you guys notice that Best Buy USA has a 75" Sony 4k HDR TV for $2000USD for Black Friday? That looks interesting to me. I wonder what model it is.
For the most 'wow deal' impact I'm sure it's a low end model.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10475 posts
3791 upvotes
BinaryJay wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 6:16 pm
For the most 'wow deal' impact I'm sure it's a low end model.
I found out that it's the X850E model. From the Rtings review:
Update 05/12/2017: Readers have reported that the 75" model has an IPS panel, so the contrast ratio is expected to be around 1000:1.
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x850e

Overall it's a great TV though and it's not far off from the x900e you guys are buying now. It depends on how you feel about IPS panels. For the right person it could turn out to be a nice deal.

I will say, however, that I am one of those people with a really bright room and a wide viewing area in my living room. In theory I have the ideal setting for an IPS panel. However I have enjoyed my VA panel television a lot more than my IPS panel one.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Jun 12, 2009
113 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver
garytheduke wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 2:12 pm
If you are within the 90 day Costco return period you could just return it and repurchase. Likely not necessary as they are aware of this and will adjust the price.
excellent! i doubt it goes much lower on black friday, but now at least I don't have to wait and see.

I went into visions here in Vancouver and the best they were giving me was $1399+$250 for the extended warranty. or I can go $1598+$100 with costco.
Aug 28, 2007
540 posts
95 upvotes
Vancouver
junkyard dog wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 7:14 pm
excellent! i doubt it goes much lower on black friday, but now at least I don't have to wait and see.

I went into visions here in Vancouver and the best they were giving me was $1399+$250 for the extended warranty. or I can go $1598+$100 with costco.
My experience with Visions warranty has been great actually. For my parent's TV we were able to get a new one about 4.5 years into owning the TV since something went wrong.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
1071 posts
297 upvotes
Hamilton
I have the 65 930D. 3 issues now had to go to their customer relations to get a refurbished replacement. Only took it because of the additional 2 Year warranty.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10475 posts
3791 upvotes
CaptainCrash wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 7:27 pm
I have the 65 930D. 3 issues now had to go to their customer relations to get a refurbished replacement. Only took it because of the additional 2 Year warranty.
What were the issues?
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
1071 posts
297 upvotes
Hamilton
SickBeast wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 7:48 pm
What were the issues?
1. Tv just died 2 months in. (Power issue. Tech replaced a part.)
2. Vertical banding issues which I get are typical. They agreed to replace then backed off saying it's within spec.
3. Tv starting rebooting itself. While watching tv the android menu would just pop up (start up screen).

After escalating telling them I only have 1 month of warranty and I don't trust this tv they agreed to a replacement. Took a ton of work to get it though.