• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2018 11:49 am
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 5, 2018
11 posts

VDSL or Cable? (Which one should I get)

Which one is best for me?

I have a coaxial outlet in my room where I need the modem but no Ethernet.
My current provider is using my phone line. It’s Bell and fiber, I believe is faster than both cable and dsl. I need to change as I cannot afford their price anymore. The slowly increased the price.

NEED:
Modem on top floor
Direct connection
Use upto 6 devices (2 tvs, pc, tablet, smartphones) – I think about 25mbps should be enough

VDSL – New provider (Upto 50mbps Upload, Unlimited Usage)
I believe I can use my current line into the modem and had the same setup as bell. Worried about the speed. Not sure if this will be constant enough for streaming.

Cable – New provider (Upto 60mbps Upload, Unlimited Usage)
I will have to relocate my modem to the basement which is where is use to be when I was with a cable provider a long time ago.
I have a coaxial cable outlet in my room, can I somehow connect that to my pc using an adapter?

Thanks.
5 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
28574 posts
3920 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
emtor91 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 5:21 pm
I have a coaxial cable outlet in my room, can I somehow connect that to my pc using an adapter?
You can plug it in your room if the coax connection is live.

Depending on the modem, you will most likely have a 4 port switch on the back and WiFi. If it is a modem only, then get a router and you will have your ethernet ports
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
6686 posts
1151 upvotes
emtor91 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 5:21 pm
Which one is best for me?

I have a coaxial outlet in my room where I need the modem but no Ethernet.
My current provider is using my phone line. It’s Bell and fiber, I believe is faster than both cable and dsl. I need to change as I cannot afford their price anymore. The slowly increased the price.

NEED:
Modem on top floor
Direct connection
Use upto 6 devices (2 tvs, pc, tablet, smartphones) – I think about 25mbps should be enough

VDSL – New provider (Upto 50mbps Upload, Unlimited Usage)
I believe I can use my current line into the modem and had the same setup as bell. Worried about the speed. Not sure if this will be constant enough for streaming.

Cable – New provider (Upto 60mbps Upload, Unlimited Usage)
I will have to relocate my modem to the basement which is where is use to be when I was with a cable provider a long time ago.

Thanks.
No if BHell is currently using your phone line it is not fiber, but just plain DSL FTTN ! BHell tries to confuse the consumer with their made up trademark term "Fibre" making them think they are getting "fiber optics". There is only about 10% of BHell's customers that can get actual "fiber optics" FTTH that is usually for new residential builds in large cities like Toronto and Montreal. Get VDSL if you are a technical person that wants to squeeze every drop of performance out of your service and cable if you just want a simple internet service. If you are going with a 3rd party ISP then you will have to purchase your own VDSL or cable modems, newer 60/20Mbps cable service plans will require a DOCSIS 3.1 modem like the TC4450 that are expensive $179+ today while VDSL modems for 50/10Mbps are relatively inexpensive -$75. BHell will need you to send them their old modem back once you cancel.
[OP]
Sep 5, 2018
11 posts
EdT586 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 11:32 am
No if BHell is currently using your phone line it is not fiber, but just plain DSL FTTN ! BHell tries to confuse the consumer with their made up trademark term "Fibre" making them think they are getting "fiber optics". There is only about 10% of BHell's customers that can get actual "fiber optics" FTTH that is usually for new residential builds in large cities like Toronto and Montreal. Get VDSL if you are a technical person that wants to squeeze every drop of performance out of your service and cable if you just want a simple internet service. If you are going with a 3rd party ISP then you will have to purchase your own VDSL or cable modems, newer 60/20Mbps cable service plans will require a DOCSIS 3.1 modem like the TC4450 that are expensive $179+ today while VDSL modems for 50/10Mbps are relatively inexpensive -$75. BHell will need you to send them their old modem back once you cancel.
Confused about how fiber works. I live in a newer area, built within the last 10 years so I thought that we had fiber lines in during the build. But in my house, the phone line is what actually connects into the modem.
Yea looks like I am going to go with Start.ca. I hear really good things about them and they use Cogecos lines but no contract. I am going to go with cable seems like the better option Upto 60mbps for $65 + $5(modem rental). I want to rent it and experience their service before i go and buy a the modem.

Bell and Cogeco are the only tier 1 options in Burlington. They all say no contract but funny how when you threaten to cancel, they tell you that you are magically in a contract.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
6686 posts
1151 upvotes
emtor91 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 5:14 pm
Confused about how fiber works. I live in a newer area, built within the last 10 years so I thought that we had fiber lines in during the build. But in my house, the phone line is what actually connects into the modem.
Yea looks like I am going to go with Start.ca. I hear really good things about them and they use Cogecos lines but no contract. I am going to go with cable seems like the better option Upto 60mbps for $65 + $5(modem rental). I want to rent it and experience their service before i go and buy a the modem.

Bell and Cogeco are the only tier 1 options in Burlington. They all say no contract but funny how when you threaten to cancel, they tell you that you are magically in a contract.
90% of BHell's customers are on what is known as FTTN (Fiber To The Node) which means they use fiber optic cable to a junction box or DSLAM and from there it use existing copper wires to your house.
I would strongly suggest you take a look at Teksavvy's cable offerings before you decide. I would advise against renting the modem, Teksavvy is literally giving then away for free the last 6 months and waiving the $85 installation fee.
https://teksavvy.com/en/residential/int ... /vcable-60

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)