Automotive

vehicle purchasing review from Policaro Acura (negative)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2018 1:40 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2868 posts
2130 upvotes

vehicle purchasing review from Policaro Acura (negative)

http://www.policaroacura.ca/used/vehicl ... 383757.htm
Vehicle AD: We have just installed NEW front brake pads and rotors, and have given this vehicle a fresh detail inside and out. This MDX is equipped with Navigation, Back-up Camera, Leather Interior, Sunroof, Bluetooth Mobile Connection, Heated seats, and is All-Wheel Drive. This vehicle has a factory warranty up to 100,000kms or 07/9/2019. It is accident free and will exceed all safety standards! The Policaro Automotive Family has been an established GTA business since 1979. Policaro Acura has shaped the brand of Acura in Canada since we opened our doors in 1987. All of our pre-owned vehicles are competitively priced to sell......

Found this vehicle and had requested a car proof. I got response from a salesperson, PK would would eventually take over further dealings.

"Hello 6mthatch,

Thank you for expressing your interest in the 2015 Acura MDX.

Policaro Acura takes pride in offering our customers detailed vehicle history information on all of our pre-owned vehicles.

The great news is, we will purchase a report on your behalf, at no cost to you.

I can get the report online for you to see live onscreen, and can even printout a copy for you. I am sure you will want to see the report live, to ensure it is off the actual CarProof site.

I will also be happy to take the time to show you how the report works, and explain the different parts and what to look for. There is a lot of information on the reports, and it can be a little confusing if you're not used to them.

I can also share our inventory file with you at the same time, so you can see the shop report and any work we may have completed on the car, and any other information we have, on the history of the vehicle.

While we are doing that, we can even spend a little time looking at the vehicle itself, and maybe do a bit of a drive?

My approach to sales is a consultative one, and I want to help you with all the information you will need to make a good decision. ...and, I like making this easy for my customers!

Let's talk for a minute or two, so we can set up a time to get together.
What is the best number to reach you at?

Let me know how I can best serve you!

Sincerely,
Preet Bains
Sales Consultant
Policaro Acura
Phone: (905) 458-7100
Email: pbains@policaro.ca

We were buying this vehicle sight unseen as we are hours away and cant hop and skip there. Made an agreed offer of $28,900 for the vehicle. I had a friend go and see it. Vehicle had dog hair all over, tires in 3/4 were low and no gas. That's fine, we can handle that as the vehicle likely hadn't been cleaned yet.

Get down to business. PK sends over the bill of sale and its listed at $29,000 ($100 more than offered). I tell him no i did not agree to this and he is well aware. His response was along the lines of yes but my manager would be more eager to sell at that price.
Next, I look at several additional charges and speak to him about it. 80$ for "mist decontamination". I disagree with this as the vehicle is supposed to come detailed in and out as per advertisement. He agreed to take this charge off. $41.50 for carproof (initial email said they would provide me free of charge) and $10 for OMVIC. I told PK after all these additional charges we would think about it.
A few days later the sales manager called and asked to finalize this deal. I explained we would have to think about it as we were not pleased with the "extra charges". We explained we were being gouged. This manager stated that's not the intended case and that's why they send the bill of sale. I told him that once that bill of sale is signed it's a legally binding agreement.
The sales manager stated that it is up to the consumer to contest the additional charges.

Take this information as you please. I did not purchase this vehicle

TLDR: Policaro Acura attempted to raise price of offer without authorization, charged for items stated in ad it covered, and failed to deliver on promises of free carproof when prepared to purchase.

Always read the bill at the end.
Images
  • Screen Shot 2018-01-14 at 8.28.09 PM.png
Last edited by 6mthatch on Jan 14th, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smash that like button!
41 replies
Feb 3, 2015
970 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto
I wouldn't buy an Acura from policaro anymore. They are not very friendly a d helpful. Just want that money. Try Acura sherway.
Banned
Jan 9, 2018
151 posts
55 upvotes
I wouldn't buy any car from any of their dealerships, ESPECIALLY North West Toyota! Bad sales techniques and very poor service.. Talking from experience..
Mar 11, 2011
82 posts
14 upvotes
Same here. I had very unpleasant experience when i went to Policaro. I felt so bad on first meeting that i did not reach stage to ask for bill. I live closeby but end up buying car from maple.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5749 posts
6121 upvotes
Ottawa
Good for you OP. Wish more people would respond like this. The first time you catch a salesperson of any type in a lie it is time to walk away. Show them that this type of behaviour does not work.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2005
1425 posts
107 upvotes
i think u shouldn't walk away from the deal because of $231.5+tax, seems like the manager will take those fees off anyway.
They just tried to pull a fast one. Just tell them to give you a new bill of sale, sign it, then move on.
It's all business, no need to involve emotion into it.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2868 posts
2130 upvotes
edvc520 wrote: i think u shouldn't walk away from the deal because of $231.5+tax, seems like the manager will take those fees off anyway.
They just tried to pull a fast one. Just tell them to give you a new bill of sale, sign it, then move on.
???
There are plenty of other businesses that don't function this way. It's unethical and they don't deserve my hard earned money. Only $231.50+ tax lost them the sale because they irritated the customer.
Smash that like button!
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2005
1425 posts
107 upvotes
6mthatch wrote: ???
There are plenty of other businesses that don't function this way. It's unethical and they don't deserve my hard earned money. Only $231.50+ tax lost them the sale because they irritated the customer.
maybe it's just me... but this doesn't bother me
owned over 10 vehicles in life and helped many friends to negotiate at the dealer, i find all dealers are like this.
as long as you know what should be on the bill and what not, then negotiate it to your liking. If they are not budging, move on.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
5020 posts
888 upvotes
Toronto
edvc520 wrote: i think u shouldn't walk away from the deal because of $231.5+tax, seems like the manager will take those fees off anyway.
yes it's business so the OP took their business somewhere else. If you are not happy with the service why still buy from there.
HEATWARE 18-0-0 since 2006
EBAY 38-0-0 Since 2003

IG: mkdrone_
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
All dealers are in the business to maximize profit. What you should have done is negotiated the out-the-door/taxes-fees-all-in price rather than just the vehicle price. You've left the door wide open for them to play their dirty tactics with your "vehicle price" offer. Frankly, you are quite lucky they didn't even bother trying the "admin fees" or "nitrogen fees" on you, it could've been alot worse.

If it's a good car and you are serious about getting the car, then you should work to force them to waive the fees and proceed with the sale. Sure, you can be emotional and pass on this one and there are plenty of used cars out there, but you might find alot more than just dog hairs on the next one.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2868 posts
2130 upvotes
er34er34 wrote: All dealers are in the business to maximize profit. What you should have done is negotiated the out-the-door/taxes-fees-all-in price rather than just the vehicle price. You've left the door wide open for them to play their dirty tactics with your "vehicle price" offer. Frankly, you are quite lucky they didn't even bother trying the "admin fees" or "nitrogen fees" on you, it could've been alot worse.

If it's a good car and you are serious about getting the car, then you should work to force them to waive the fees and proceed with the sale. Sure, you can be emotional and pass on this one and there are plenty of used cars out there, but you might find alot more than just dog hairs on the next one.
I ended up purchasing from Erin Mills Acura. No dirty tactics. Offered price + 10$ omvic. Car was detailed before it was put for sale.
I think your opinion of car sales is a bit distorted. As a seller and if I wanted to maximise profit I would have spent the 10 minutes vacuuming out the vehicle and ensuring the tires had air before I set my focus on gouging the customer
Smash that like button!
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
6mthatch wrote: I ended up purchasing from Erin Mills Acura. No dirty tactics. Offered price + 10$ omvic. Car was detailed before it was put for sale.
I think your opinion of car sales is a bit distorted. As a seller and if I wanted to maximise profit I would have spent the 10 minutes vacuuming out the vehicle and ensuring the tires had air before I set my focus on gouging the customer
You never know how long the car will stay on the lot. If they detailed it on day 1, by the time they find a buyer for it, it may be filthy again especially now in the middle of winter with all the salt on the roads. If they had to send it to the detailer a second time, that cuts into their margin as well. Also, keeping the car dirty helps hide some of the flaws on the body(e.g., door dings) - yes, it's another dirty tactic, but that's business...

So was the one from Erin Mills Acura of comparable trim/mileage/condition? Did you offer more or less compared to the one from the other dealer? At the end of the day, it's all just a numbers game.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2868 posts
2130 upvotes
Compariable....
Erin mills was 1 year older, 1 higher trim (tech vs navi). Slightly less Km (Approximately 2k). White vs black though I am unsure if that is an upgrade.
I got the 14 for 500 less than the 15.

I agree on the exterior detailing but I disagree with the interior.

I'll give another example. I went to Canadian Fine Motors in scarborough. They had a 14 RX350 asking 26k. The interior was like a pack of wolves had ran through it. Thats fine, can't hide damage. But, there was filth all throughout the interior. Stains in the headliner like a bunch of 3 year olds were painting a picture on the ceiling and general dirt and filth in things like cup holders and grab handles.
If dealerships cant take pride in simple condition of the vehicle then they cant expect top dollar for their vehicles. Now, some may argue that the vehicle could be detailed prior to but then the consumer needs to also contest items that need to be replaced such as tires.
Smash that like button!
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2002
2759 posts
1397 upvotes
Hehe, Mist Contamination = Febreze?
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2868 posts
2130 upvotes
Even their own ad shows the TPMS light on. "Exceeds safety standards".....fooled me there.
Smash that like button!
Dec 7, 2009
529 posts
356 upvotes
B-Town
6mthatch wrote: Lets be blunt. You can purchase a "mist decontamination" machine, aka an ozone generator for pretty cheap.
https://www.amazon.ca/Ozone-Power-OP350 ... ne+machine

I guess the gullible know no better. They also get carproofs practically free with a dealers licence.
So we should get everything for free or at least at their cost? Last I heard dealerships (or any business) are in the business to make money. If they are giving everything away then they won't be in business long. Yes, I agree that the cost of the Carproof/Mist Decontamination is probably next to nothing but dealerships will charge what the going rate is or what the customer is willing to pay. (Buy the ozone machine and do it yourself but don't get upset if the cost is $80. That's cheap compared to what they typically sell services for). If they were supposed to give it to you for free then call him out on it. Talk to the Sales Manager about what was promised and what was offered. They are sales men/women. They need to make a commission. They whole thing is the negotiation.

I have products that I mark up 100+% but that is what we have determined the price to be for our market, based on our product/service/costs. Don't like it, I am willing to haggle a bit but if I have to sell it at my cost, why would I sell it? or What would be an acceptable margin for you?

Yes, I agree that dealerships don't do themselves any favors by adding costs/fees after the agreed upon price, thus their reputation, but it's up to the customer to be informed and not sign a contract without questioning it, as you did. Again, they are in the business to make money and if they try this sort of thing, call them out on it. Policaro isn't the first to do it. And they won't be the last.
May 6, 2013
943 posts
491 upvotes
Toronto
Brought my ILX for warranty work once to Policaro, NEVER AGAIN. Young punk lot kid managed to rip my shift knob off and damage it in the 5 minutes he had it. I will stick to Maple Acura who have been ok.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2868 posts
2130 upvotes
ManInTheBurbs wrote: So we should get everything for free or at least at their cost? Last I heard dealerships (or any business) are in the business to make money. If they are giving everything away then they won't be in business long. Yes, I agree that the cost of the Carproof/Mist Decontamination is probably next to nothing but dealerships will charge what the going rate is or what the customer is willing to pay. (Buy the ozone machine and do it yourself but don't get upset if the cost is $80. That's cheap compared to what they typically sell services for). If they were supposed to give it to you for free then call him out on it. Talk to the Sales Manager about what was promised and what was offered. They are sales men/women. They need to make a commission. They whole thing is the negotiation.

I have products that I mark up 100+% but that is what we have determined the price to be for our market, based on our product/service/costs. Don't like it, I am willing to haggle a bit but if I have to sell it at my cost, why would I sell it? or What would be an acceptable margin for you?

Yes, I agree that dealerships don't do themselves any favors by adding costs/fees after the agreed upon price, thus their reputation, but it's up to the customer to be informed and not sign a contract without questioning it, as you did. Again, they are in the business to make money and if they try this sort of thing, call them out on it. Policaro isn't the first to do it. And they won't be the last.
I don't think you read the first post. The vehicle was described as "detailed inside and out"....now the customer has to pay for this? I never requested it. They stated the vehicle was clean.
2nd. As per email, carproof was free according to them. They then attempted to charge at bill of sale.

I could make a ton of promises on anything i sell but I can't expect to charge the customer for it. For example, I could say my vehicle has new brakes all around. I can't then say after money has been exchanged that the new brakes all around is going to be 1000$ on top of the purchase. See what I mean? You advertise an all in price. Yes its up to the consumer to decline things such as warranty but that is discussed with the consumer and not sneakly put into the bill hoping the consumer wouldn't notice.
Smash that like button!
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2007
2166 posts
710 upvotes
OP, just out of curiosity, what is your reasoning behind getting a relatively high mileage SUV like that? Was the vehicle in really good condition with service history? You have a lot of faith in Acura products? Or you put on really little mileage per year?

Just curious that is all...congrats on the new car!