[OP]
Banned
Oct 17, 2016
378 posts
128 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario

Vehicles clocked at 179 km/h in the Town of Mono: OPP

Going double speed limit.

There is NO REASON for this ridiculous action to occur.

These two idiots should be suspended for 10 years.

The 50km/h over rule has been in place for how many years????
Mitsubishi Lancer RULES.
64 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8533 upvotes
GTHA
SellKijijiOshawa wrote: The 50km/h over rule has been in place for how many years????
since Sept 2007, 9+ years
Last edited by tk1000 on Feb 4th, 2017 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2014
2483 posts
557 upvotes
Ottawa
Can't tell the amount of times that I've "seen" someone do 160-180 on the 401.

I "saw" someone do it just a couple days ago.
Oct 21, 2006
353 posts
158 upvotes
perhaps they have decided to BOLDLY UP WHERE NO IDIOTS HAVE GONE BEFORE...
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3969 upvotes
Toronto
I was doing 100 on lakeshore the other day with all the other traffic... the speed limit on that stretch was 50km/h
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3675 posts
3164 upvotes
The NORTH
daivey wrote: I was doing 100 on lakeshore the other day with all the other traffic... the speed limit on that stretch was 50km/h
I love this fallacy. If they all drove into a sink hole, would you follow? I obviously know you wouldn't, I just hear the 'flow of traffic' argument all the time.
Oct 7, 2014
117 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
It's 2017 and we're still imposing speed limits...such a conservative outlook on life.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17848 posts
1845 upvotes
Woodbridge
SellKijijiOshawa wrote: Going double speed limit.

There is NO REASON for this ridiculous action to occur.

These two idiots should be suspended for 10 years.

The 50km/h over rule has been in place for how many years????
Why not Life same goes for Drinking & Driving.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
5667 posts
1827 upvotes
Cornwall PE
kr0zet wrote: I love this fallacy. If they all drove into a sink hole, would you follow? I obviously know you wouldn't, I just hear the 'flow of traffic' argument all the time.
Well don't know this 50km stretch, but traveling the same speed as the rest of traffic is the safest policy on most roadways.
The Children all love the the new down vote button.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
21845 posts
2475 upvotes
AtlsNBP wrote: Can't tell the amount of times that I've "seen" someone do 160-180 on the 401.

I "saw" someone do it just a couple days ago.
+1
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
9596 posts
3010 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
179km/hr may sound like extremely fast, but depending on a car that is driven can be achieved in a few seconds.

Should the drivers be fined? Sure, they did break the law. However, the 50km speeding law is excessive imo.
Oct 8, 2016
39 posts
29 upvotes
My problem with the way the law is currently enforced is how the police are given authority to immediately suspend a suspect's driver's license and impound the vehicle for 7 days. I don't have a problem with the penalty as much as I have a problem with the lack of a trial before the punishment is dealt.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3675 posts
3164 upvotes
The NORTH
Andro wrote: 179km/hr may sound like extremely fast, but depending on a car that is driven can be achieved in a few seconds.

Should the drivers be fined? Sure, they did break the law. However, the 50km speeding law is excessive imo.
I must be behind on the automotive scene.... Which cars exactly achieve 180km/h in a few seconds? 0 - 100 km/h takes a few seconds for the likes of a LaFerrari, Buggati Veyron Super Sport, Porsche 918 Spyder, Lamborghini Huracán, Tesla Model S P100D... Is this stretch of the road the Dubai of Ontario?

PS:
These drivers didn't make a 'bad mistake', they made a catastrophic error in judgement! Whats the reaction time for someone traveling at 50 meters per second? 3 seconds? The difference between the distance traveled at the speed limit (60 meters) vs their speed (150 meters) is 90 METERS! That doesn't take into account braking dynamics of the vehicles...
Last edited by kr0zet on Feb 4th, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3675 posts
3164 upvotes
The NORTH
ChefPagpag wrote: My problem with the way the law is currently enforced is how the police are given authority to immediately suspend a suspect's driver's license and impound the vehicle for 7 days. I don't have a problem with the penalty as much as I have a problem with the lack of a trial before the punishment is dealt.
100% correct, no trial just a guilty verdict on the side of the road. And if I am not mistaken, this law was introduced by the then Ontario Minister for Transportation : Kathleen Wynne...
DealCanuck wrote: Nanny laws.
Buddy it's not you and me I'm worried about, I'm ok with some nanny state laws to protect me from the NASCAR watching 'Naturally Great' drivers out there, those who think you have to drive with one hand so the other can flip the bird at everyone else, and this new SCARY generation of 'my tech will protect me' drivers.

Distracted driver laws are how old? And tell me the last time you drove somewhere populated for 10 minutes without seeing a driver texting...