Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2007
6257 posts
185 upvotes
Edmonton

Which version of the Ipad did you get?

Looking to get my first Ipad. Which one did you get and why?

Questions:
1. Do I need 3G or is WIFI good enough?
2. How much space do I need?
3. Should I get new or refurb?
4. Ipad 1, 2, or 3?

This is coming from someone who had never used a tablet before.
21 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2005
1360 posts
761 upvotes
I just got a 16GB Wi-Fi only "iPad 3"

1. If you have an iphone, most likely you will have it on you so can just tether to it. And if not then you are probably at home and can connect to your home wifi. Even if you have to upgrade your iphone plan a bit to allow tethering it is still probably cheaper than adding data to the ipad.

2. Delete stuff you don't use and 16GB is plenty. Why do you need 200 apps on it if there are only about maybe 50 you will use currently?

3. I would get the 3 but if for some reason you decide with 2, refurb looks like a great option since the exterior will be new anyways so why not save some money?

4. 3! It's like when you are comparing an iPhone 3gs beside an iPhone 4 or an old itouch with a new itouch. The screen just looks like crap without retina display. Once you see retina, then the non-retina display looks so bad. Just that alone is worth the $100 in my opinion. If you have a crap screen you might not use it as much and not get the most bang for your buck.
Feb 9, 2006
998 posts
23 upvotes
I currently have a 1st gen 16gb wifi ipad. The size was sufficient for me, but I pre-ordered a 32gb ipad3 because with the retina screen I expect to watch HD content which takes up more space.

At this point, I'd avoid buying the ipad1 and I think the price difference between 2 and 3 is so small that it may be worth it to invest a little extra into the latest device.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7445 upvotes
Toronto, ON
With respect to size, I find 16GB gets used up too quickly on an iPad... I had a 16GB iPad 2 but sold it when I got a 64GB iPad 2. With the new iPad having the ability to capture 1080p videos & more megapixel photos, and with apps like iMovie & iPhoto that can work with these big files, you do need a lot of space. I think 32GB is probably a good size where you won't need to manage apps with iTunes to free up available space.

A lot of games/apps are hundreds of megabytes big nowadays and will keep growing as they are optimized to take advantage of the retina display.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
9931 posts
1371 upvotes
32GB seems to be a good middle ground. Sold the ipad2 to fund the ipad3. Can't wait for the awesome screen. Going to mostly use it as a glorified photo frame.
Deal Fanatic
May 19, 2005
5042 posts
2739 upvotes
Earth
32GB wifi only. I have the original iPad and after 2 years (yes I got it early in the US on launch day), I've never felt the need for 3G data because wifi is everywhere I need it, and when it's not I've got wifi tethering and Bluetooth tethering off my $15/month unlimited data plan (don't ask, you can't get it any more :D ).

32GB does seem like a good size for iPad, especially with the new screen; all your apps are going to get larger as they update it to take advantage of 4x pixels (2x is each direction).
Jul 16, 2005
265 posts
46 upvotes
Does the Ipad gen 3 come with the LED Flash for its camera?
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2009
1427 posts
786 upvotes
Edmonton
I got a 64 because I am using 20-something on my Touch because of all the music I have on it. Given that it is more versatile than the Touch and designed for hi res stuff, I'd hit the 32 limit pretty quickly.

WiFi because I have unlimited data on a phone that serves as a wireless hotspot.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7445 upvotes
Toronto, ON
alexcruz416 wrote: Does the Ipad gen 3 come with the LED Flash for its camera?

No LED flash.
Nov 2, 2006
876 posts
28 upvotes
16Gb LTE.

Size depends if you typically store lots of stuff and like to keep games/large apps always on your devices. For me, it's mostly a magazine/e-reader with my 2Gb of dropbox loaded content and surfing. I stream movies/shows from my home server so never keep anything on the device. If I were to travel and needed to load up movies, then I'd just temporarily remove apps I wouldn't need on my trip.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1953 upvotes
Elmira
I bought the White version, 32GB, WiFi Only, unengraved, with AppleCare+

Delivery says March 16th-20th

Total after taxes and AppleCare+ 2years, $810.

Happiest $810 I've spent in a while though, considering how much use we've gotten out of our iPad 2 already another one will be a welcome addition to the household for sure

I friggin' love my iPad, and this one should be even greater. Can't wait!
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2005
1950 posts
355 upvotes
none. no need. my 6 year old x60 does everything a ipad will/can do for me. Upgraded with a SSD boots extremly fast, nice dispay, is porable, and has a real keyboard. Also isn't tied into a fisher price os or limiting USB and other expansion options (no sd?!?!) that apples love to limit you with. They know they could give you storage options, but why? then you'll have no reason to spend the extra $$ on the huge profit they make on the extra storage.
Nikon D810, 16-35 F4 VR, 70-200 F2.8E VR, 50 1.8
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21265 posts
6248 upvotes
Poormond Hill
I got the original 16GB ipad and the 32GB ipad 2. Later this year I'm going to get the new one in 64GB format. I believe that the new ipad will be around for at least 3 years with minimal improvements.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
16039 posts
400 upvotes
McLaren__F1 wrote: Dont have an iPad

Same but if i were to get one, it probably will be 32/64gb and wifi only. 3g too exp coupled with the fact if you're already paying for internet at home and carry a cell with data plan.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3863 posts
367 upvotes
Toronto
16 gig black wifi only. i don't have any ipads so i opted for the "new ipad".

i don't see the need for 3g because i can just pair it with my iphone 4s which has a 6 gig/month data plan.

i also don't see the need for more storage because i already stream all media directly from google music or from my htpc via air video.

storage MAY be an issue for higher res'ed apps but i'm not a huge gamer (which are generally the biggest apps) so i really don't think it'll matter.

if you want to save money, i see no problem at all in getting a refurbished ipad 2. incredibly snappy performance and i believe they're only $350 refurb.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
stevelam wrote: 16 gig black wifi only. i don't have any ipads so i opted for the "new ipad".

i don't see the need for 3g because i can just pair it with my iphone 4s which has a 6 gig/month data plan.

i also don't see the need for more storage because i already stream all media directly from google music or from my htpc via air video.

storage MAY be an issue for higher res'ed apps but i'm not a huge gamer (which are generally the biggest apps) so i really don't think it'll matter.

if you want to save money, i see no problem at all in getting a refurbished ipad 2. incredibly snappy performance and i believe they're only $350 refurb.

+1. I am going to buy an iPad 2 however, but the 16GB WiFi only version. Don't see myself needing the new iPad with retina display and such. Yes I know its amazing, etc etc but I don't really need it so to speak. Not getting the 3G model because a) its expensive - $35 for 5GB or $10 per month for data share, b) I usually enable WiFi Hotspot from my phone to my tablets if I take them on the go. Most places I do end up taking it all have WiFi connection and c) if I did take the data plan, my cell phone bill will be $100+.

As for the 16GB, that's more than what I need. If anything I do need the extra storage, I have my Transformer for that, 16GB on board + 32GB additional with a memory card. Maybe even more if I hooked up a usb flash drive on the keyboard dock.
Blanka
Oct 22, 2005
474 posts
9 upvotes
djemzine wrote: +1. I am going to buy an iPad 2 however, but the 16GB WiFi only version. Don't see myself needing the new iPad with retina display and such. Yes I know its amazing, etc etc but I don't really need it so to speak. Not getting the 3G model because a) its expensive - $35 for 5GB or $10 per month for data share, b) I usually enable WiFi Hotspot from my phone to my tablets if I take them on the go. Most places I do end up taking it all have WiFi connection and c) if I did take the data plan, my cell phone bill will be $100+.

As for the 16GB, that's more than what I need. If anything I do need the extra storage, I have my Transformer for that, 16GB on board + 32GB additional with a memory card. Maybe even more if I hooked up a usb flash drive on the keyboard dock.

At least they aren't charging $50 for 5GB plans like in the states :\ iPhone 6GB plans will be a good substitute if you have it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)