Shopping Discussion

Be very careful if you use 7-11 speakout!

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2018 5:23 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
1642 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto

Be very careful if you use 7-11 speakout!

Today I dialed *777# checking my balance before I made my call, it showed $63 even. Then I made a call lasting 2 mins 17 seconds. Then checked my balance again. Showed me 62.10, which was fine. because I know they charge you 3 mins even if you call only 2 mins 1 sec, and at current rate of 30cents/min, 63 - 0.3 x 3 = 62.10. Then I made another call lasting only 38 seconds, and checked my balance again. now, this time they took 2 mins for 38 seconds, my balance was 61.50 (62.10 - 0.3 x 2), not 61.80 (62.1 - 0.3 x 1) as it should be for 1 min call.

i don't think this just happened by "accident". i was very careful this time because I had another speak-out phone which I was highly doubt the charges they took off from me last time. and certainly they are not just "targeting" at me. think about how many people use speak-out, how outrageous the rate is and how much time, i.e. money they steal from its customers. had an individual done such things, the person would be found guilty of financial fraud, sentenced as a felony criminal.

dishonest and disgusting business practice. shameless companies like this could only survive in Canada. thanks to Robelus and alike, Canada has the lowest cell phone ownership and highest rates among all G7 countries.

i will call speakout. i don't think there is anything they (the reps) can and would do. just want to hear they making lies directly to me.
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
8918 posts
8426 upvotes
There is no call history to trace with SO.
I am switching my SO number to Public Mobile $10 plan 50 minutes + 50 outgoing text + free incoming text. (20 cents/minute, 16 cents/minute with autopay)
I added $8 200 minutes add-on for overage. The add-on minutes does not expire and roll over to next 30 days cycle until all used. (4 cents/minute)

I enable autopay and got $2 discount per 30 days cycle.
I got 3 referrals and save another $3 per 30 days cycle
My PM number is used by someone does not use text messages.
PM per minute charge is 20 cents and 4 cents. Why pay SO 30 cents without usage history.

If you use lots of text messages, this $10 plan is not for you as PM does not have text message add-on.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Koodo $30 plan, PM $41 6GB plan, PM $8 plan to replace Speakout,
Zoomer loyalty family plan for 4 lines $117/6GB, $0 FPL home phone
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
1642 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
embguy wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 4:18 pm
There is no call history to trace with SO.
I am switching my SO number to Public Mobile $10 plan 50 minutes + 50 outgoing text + free incoming text. (20 cents/minute, 16 cents/minute with autopay)
I added $8 200 minutes add-on for overage. The add-on minutes does not expire and roll over to next 30 days cycle until all used. (4 cents/minute)

I enable autopay and got $2 discount per 30 days cycle.
I got 3 referrals and save another $3 per 30 days cycle
My PM number is used by someone does not use text messages.
PM per minute charge is 20 cents and 4 cents. Why pay SO 30 cents without usage history.

If you use lots of text messages, this $10 plan is not for you as PM does not have text message add-on.
i rarely use the phone to make calls that's why I always use pay as you go and even rarer texting. all smartphones, maybe even old phones, showing you call details such as how long the call lasts.

the dickhead rep told me the system showing the first call lasted 153 seconds, 16 seconds more than my phone call details showed, and the second call on their system was 61 seconds, 23 seconds more than my phone showed, which is more than 60% more. bravo! just 1 second more to charge you the whole minute, the reason being "because our system start counting at the time you dial not the time you have your conversation"! so even if the other end is busy or you hangup before the voice or answering system pick up, you will still get charged for 1 min.
Last edited by forgetpwd on Oct 12th, 2018 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3988 posts
850 upvotes
Toronto
forgetpwd wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 4:28 pm
the reason being "because our system start counting at the time you dial not the time you have your conversation"! so even if the other end is busy or you hangup before the voice or answering system pick up, you will still get charged for 1 min.
This is what their T&Cs have to say:

Minutes will be deducted for all time during which your 7-Eleven SpeakOut Wireless phone is connected to, or using, the wireless system of any Carrier. Use of a wireless system typically begins when you press the “send”, “call” or other button to initiate or answer a call and does not end until you press the “end” button or the call is otherwise terminated.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
1642 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
Manatus wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 4:35 pm
This is what their T&Cs have to say:

Minutes will be deducted for all time during which your 7-Eleven SpeakOut Wireless phone is connected to, or using, the wireless system of any Carrier. Use of a wireless system typically begins when you press the “send”, “call” or other button to initiate or answer a call and does not end until you press the “end” button or the call is otherwise terminated.
i don't have wireless with them, i.e. the $10 for 100M data. no matter how they count, a 38 seconds call just could not be a 61 seconds, even counting the dialing, the other party picked up before 2nd ring, and I'm double sure I hang up completely and immediately when conversation ended.

there has long been the talk pay-as-you-go programs, not only SO steal minutes, in fact all VOIP calls such as skype when call internationally. someone said when it over 50 seconds it will actually be counted as a minute etc etc. i was not too upset then, until today, one call was more than 10% and another more than 60% time charged. that's not only a blatant steal, it's a broad daylight robbery.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
12886 posts
2417 upvotes
London
But isn’t the call logging backend actually done by Rogers and then call info is transferred to SO?
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
12832 posts
3199 upvotes
Montreal
Speakout is bad news when it comes to prepaid. I tested a phone by *only* receiving texts on it for a week (incoming texts are free) yet it continually bled money to the tune of a few dollars a day - I called to complain and no one cared a bit or offered any refund. It's obvious they're scamming by padding their prepaid charges and you can find other similar experiences online.

Naturally there are no records or times or text charges to view, as Speakout hides absolutely everything, and just gives you a healthy "STFU and let us steal from you."

We had a Speakout SIM/phone and the ONLY way to use the remaining balance without getting totally scammed was to buy a "monthly package" like free texts or minutes. They're stable with those, but they massively overbill for pure prepaid with hidden charges.
Feb 24, 2018
124 posts
37 upvotes
Yeah it sucks but problematically, there's barely any pre-paid pay-as-you-go services in Ontario. Everyone here is willing to pay like $30/month for just 200 minutes even if they only use 50 so we're stuck with this.

My $25 Speakout topup has lasted me for 2-5 months each time so it's still the cheapest option for me but I agree that it sucks and we need better pre-paid options.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1217 posts
267 upvotes
Kanata
They wouldn't be charged felony criminal, Canada doesn't have "felony" offences.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10798 posts
861 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
forgetpwd wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 4:28 pm
"because our system start counting at the time you dial not the time you have your conversation"
I haven't kept up with what's what, but back at my days at Howard Forums, "send to end" was standard practice.
forgetpwd wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 5:06 pm
i don't have wireless with them, i.e. the $10 for 100M data.
"Wireless" does not necessarily mean "wireless data".

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)