• Apr 19th, 2017 1:35 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2901 posts
423 upvotes
CN1217 wrote:
Apr 4th, 2017 3:09 am
Thank you all for your advice. We will euthanize her tomorrow to end her pain. We will miss her forever.
It will be very hard on you, especially returning to an empty house - especially when you find your pup's toys or automatically call her name. But eventually you will remember the good times and laugh at her antics. Try and keep your happy face on for your pup's sake as hard as it will be. You can cry afterwards.

I agree with the posters who recommended euthanasia since your pup is in pain. The way we did it (as recommended by a fellow pet lover) was to have our vet come outside (in the summer) and give our pup a serious tranquilizer to help him fall asleep. Obviously the tranquilizer shot was not the final shot, but since he loved our vet he did not see it coming. We waited until he fell asleep and then took him in for the final shot. Yes, we had to pay for the extra shot but it was well worth it to us.

Just prepare yourself - it will not be easy. Nor will tonight.
Mar 19, 2015
608 posts
117 upvotes
Canada
Put some paper towel or Kleenex in your pocket. You will cry A LOT after your dog dies.

Can you hold her while she is dying?
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2002
12403 posts
7568 upvotes
Toronto
For people in Toronto the Pawsway has a free pet loss support group that meets once/month

https://www.pawsway.ca/calendar/
"Had one yesterday and there was a full slice of onion no thinner than a polio shoe.

I cried out in despair." RFD user Dingus
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
8757 posts
907 upvotes
Toronto
Dogwater wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 10:18 am
Put some paper towel or Kleenex in your pocket. You will cry A LOT after your dog dies.

Can you hold her while she is dying?
So so true. Nothing like it. I only had one so I'm not sure if it gets easier the 2nd or 3rd. I would assume so, as if I were to get another dog, I would be ready and willing to accept that as part of a package. The first time, you never think it would happen. I found reading other people's stories, and some youtube vids comforting as so many others have gone through the exact same. Just variances in how it goes down. I was saddened really for 3 years (of course more so in the first couple of months/year) until I had my daughter. It really liberated that feeling of sadness. Seeing new life and exuberance, much like a dog has, I really tie my memories of my dog with the much happier, puppy like memories akin to my child instead of the painful, end.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
2563 posts
807 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
For me it will never get easier no matter how many times I go through it. My dogs are family to me. They just don't live long enough, much to my sadness.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2901 posts
423 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 10:56 am
For me it will never get easier no matter how many times I go through it. My dogs are family to me. They just don't live long enough, much to my sadness.
Agreed. It will never get any easier.
Apr 10, 2017
3 posts
Wow. IDK what to say, except for I'm sorry for everything. I think if the cost isn't too high for surgery compared to euthanasia in your case, you can try and have it operated. Maybe the next few years after the surgery are going to be worth it if she makes it through, when you'll look back 20 years from now. Even if she doesn't make it through the procedure, she'll be under anesthesia and wouldn't feel the pain patients usually feel when their cancers act up. Euthanize her only when the quality of her life (go for the moral, commonsense definition of quality of life) is being affected and that the cost of surgery far exceeds the cost of euthanasia in terms of both expense and the mileage. Best of luck. Hopes, well wishes and prayers for the little mutt.
Jan 22, 2017
12 posts
3 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 10:56 am
I agree. It's never that easy especially if you really care and love them
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel