Automotive

Very small chip in windshield, is it worth fixing?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2020 1:39 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 21, 2019
305 posts
597 upvotes

Very small chip in windshield, is it worth fixing?

A truck hit a rock into my windshield and now there is a very small chip in it, it of course also has to be directly in my line of sight.
Is it worth fixing, it is not deep or big, about the size of a pen head. Is it even possible to fix a chip this small if I take it somewhere to get fixed? I like my car to be perfect as I plan on reselling and this makes me very upset, but I don't know if they can get fix as it's not even really a hole, it's just seems to be a cosmetic chip.
31 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2008
3214 posts
328 upvotes
Mississauga
the fix for a small chip is typically a filler they use, which never makes it look 100% original. you'll still notice it.

drive it until its time to sell and then deal w/ it then (most buyers wont care either).
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2006
4269 posts
1163 upvotes
Yes, it's worth fixing. Most places can do it in under 10 minutes. If you don't you risk cracking your entire windshield.

Also, it's a chip, not sure it's worth getting "very upset" over.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2005
1524 posts
67 upvotes
North York
I got a chip fixed for $60 at one of those Canadian Tire parking lot windshield places, it wasn't perfect and there was still a groove in the windshield but at least it's protected against further cracking.
If you don't fix it now just monitor the chip to make sure it doesn't crack any further; If it starts to crack then just get it fixed. The bummer is that your chip is right on the line of sight.
Ebay: Magoo_416
Dec 7, 2011
602 posts
239 upvotes
Toronto
Brandon26 wrote: A truck hit a rock into my windshield and now there is a very small chip in it, it of course also has to be directly in my line of sight.
Is it worth fixing, it is not deep or big, about the size of a pen head. Is it even possible to fix a chip this small if I take it somewhere to get fixed? I like my car to be perfect as I plan on reselling and this makes me very upset, but I don't know if they can get fix as it's not even really a hole, it's just seems to be a cosmetic chip.
What you have is probably a pit and not a chip which isn't really repairable. It can be filled but the resin will fall out eventually because it has nothing to hold onto. A chip will usually have little spider legs. A pit just looks like a pen/pencil tip.
Nov 25, 2016
27 posts
7 upvotes
I had 2 small chips in my old car, never fixed it, never had any problem.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2006
4269 posts
1163 upvotes
Samuro wrote: I had 2 small chips in my old car, never fixed it, never had any problem.
I had a small chip and the whole windshield cracked. There, now we're even in anecdotal evidence.

Why risk a much larger repair for something that can be fixed very inexpensively and very quickly?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
7425 posts
2439 upvotes
Mississauga
Well, if OP doesn't fix, we'll find out the outcome when the weather warms up. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2017
1511 posts
459 upvotes
Toronto
Magoo wrote: I got a chip fixed for $60 at one of those Canadian Tire parking lot windshield places, it wasn't perfect and there was still a groove in the windshield but at least it's protected against further cracking.
If you don't fix it now just monitor the chip to make sure it doesn't crack any further; If it starts to crack then just get it fixed. The bummer is that your chip is right on the line of sight.
LOL you just paid 50% of what a new windshield would had cost. What a rip-off, $60 bucks? It used to be $25.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2006
4269 posts
1163 upvotes
MusicBox wrote: LOL you just paid 50% of what a new windshield would had cost. What a rip-off, $60 bucks? It used to be $25.
You can get a new windshield installed for $120? Where? What vehicle?
Dec 7, 2011
602 posts
239 upvotes
Toronto
jcon wrote: You can get a new windshield installed for $120? Where? What vehicle?
Not if you want a good job. That's such an ignorant thing to say. Some people have no clue. I wouldn't even do the install at $120
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
8987 posts
7097 upvotes
Markham
Had a small chip on my old Jetta for like 2 years nothing. Then one day out of the blue CRACK, the whole windshield was gone.

Fix it, your insurance should cover it.
[OP]
Jul 21, 2019
305 posts
597 upvotes
Anikiri wrote: Had a small chip on my old Jetta for like 2 years nothing. Then one day out of the blue CRACK, the whole windshield was gone.

Fix it, your insurance should cover it.
Thanks, I will. Was the spot still noticeable after they fixed it for you or can you still tell a chip was there?
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
8987 posts
7097 upvotes
Markham
Brandon26 wrote: Thanks, I will. Was the spot still noticeable after they fixed it for you or can you still tell a chip was there?
You can tell once they fix it. It's definitely noticeable.
Penalty Box
Apr 21, 2004
51693 posts
16205 upvotes
I have a 1 cm crack that's about 3mm in width (slightly larger in the middle) on the lower part of my windshield that I will not notice during driving.

It's been there for years (at least six) and it never grew in size. This was on a replacement windshield, not original Honda.
Google: "TMC" + "so....some Model S will be out of WARRANTY soon *battery pack pricing"
--> around $20k USD for battery replacement? :(