Hello,

Facts:
Bean a Apso/Jack
He is 5.
Never had pain issues

Vet:
- Did tests, said he has IVDD.
- Gabapentin 100mg - Every 12 hours
- Metacam 1.5mg/mL per ML - Give one syringe (0.8ml) by mouth every 24 hours give with food. (Four syringes)
- No jumping no stairs for a month.

Timeline:
Sept 5 - Came home, bean was uncomfortable and looks like something on his leg was bothering him. Everytime I touched his hip area he would yelp.
Sept 7 - Bean was back to himself running around, did not take him to the vet as he had a vet appointment on Sept 11. Throughout the week he resume activity, did his walks and hikes.
Sep 21 - I was grabbing him and dragging him to me to snuggle up to watch Television. Bean Yelp and did not move for the remaining of the night till the next morning.
Sep 22 - He was laying down with pain and could not get back. As soon as my parents rushed over he was so happy and acted normal. Bean was running around the house to his normal self all day with my family.
Sep 24 - Came home from the beach and he was not moving. This must of been the worse I seen him. After two hours he started to shiver in pain and quickly went to the emergency vet. The emergency vet is near the dog park and he decided to walk perfectly fine towards the dog park. He went for a short walk then just sat down (Probably because he was in pain). The vet was a 4 hour wait so I took him home as the shivering stopped.
Note: He Did Yelp prior leaving to the beach has he Bolted up the stairwell. That was in the AM and he was fine when I left the house.
Sep 25 - He did not move at all and slept where I dropped him off the previous night. He could not stand. I picked him up and brought him outside to pee but his back legs just trembled.

20 minutes later, I was setting up my vehicle to take to his vet. As soon as he saw the car blanket, he ran to my car and excited to get in. No issues just normal self but will not jump kinda does the I about to jump but I barely can. He is also overweight.

Since Sept 25, he has been himself. The doctor did a lot of tests and said he has IVDD and prescribed me all this medicine. He is taking meds great, eating, drinking, etc. I confined him to my bedroom and removed my bed frame and just put the mattress on the floor since yesterday. He can't be in a crate as he is half jack and is crazy hyper.

Concerns
- If he does have IVDD, how can I continue to minimize the illness. I am now preparing the house so that he has to not climb or jump on things.
- I don't understand how he snaps out of this so quickly when his activities take place or people come visit him.

Video:
This clip was taken after a full day of crying, yelping, shivering, from the 24-25 of September. After he saw his blanket, went to the vet and came home, he started to play with his food.
https://streamable.com/f8xko
1 reply
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2542 posts
624 upvotes
Toronto
First thing, I'm not into small dogs, but Bean is so adorable! Smiling Face With Heart-shaped Eyes

How did your vet dignaose Bean with IVDD?

It sounds like, what your describing is IVDD. It can come and go; it depends on the vertebrae that are being effected.

Here is a bit of info I think you might find helpful.
https://youdidwhatwithyourweiner.com/do ... ble-glass/

The medication Bean is on is management. It's not a cure, so while te bed rest is great, if he's allowed to run around a day later, it could be happening all over again aggregating it ..... you should be thinking about what maintenance plan would work for Bean, long term. Did your vet discuss this?
Ie. surgery? rehabilitation? medication?
Then what?

It's hard to know what to ask the vet when these sort of things are diagnosed, but it sounds like you have a lot of questions which they'd be happy to talk to you about. After all, they're all there to educate their clients. See if you can do a follow up appointment, without Bean. You have questions that you didn't think to ask during the diagnosis appointment. Most vets are happy to talk to you, to clarify; even a vet tech may be helpful in assuring you and providing the information. Just make a list, and make sure you're not forgetting anything.
It's impossible for you to get a proper diagnosis in a forum, but it sounds like you need more assurance which is something a good vet should provide you Smiling Face With Smiling Eyes

Keep me posted, and keep Bean nice and chill. Even slippery floors could cause aggravation, so think about putting yoga mats down.