• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2017 7:00 am
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 25, 2012
21 posts
5 upvotes

Vets that Perform Vasectomies?

After reading about the negative effects of neutering, I am looking into getting my dog vasectomized. Do all vets offer the procedure? Is it less complicated than neutering? Anybody have an idea on costs of this procedure? TIA.
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5152 posts
660 upvotes
South of Ottawa
McCarter wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 12:38 am
After reading about the negative effects of neutering, I am looking into getting my dog vasectomized. Do all vets offer the procedure? Is it less complicated than neutering? Anybody have an idea on costs of this procedure? TIA.
What negative side effects?

Do you know what the negative side effects of vasectomy are?
[OP]
Oct 25, 2012
21 posts
5 upvotes
There are negatives (both health-wise and behavior-wise) to all options: keeping the dog intact, vasectomy or neutering. However, in my mind, vasectomy seems better for dogs (in particular males) than neutering. According to a 2013 UC Davis Study, for two joint disorders and three cancers (e.g. hip dysplasia, lymphosarcoma), the disease rates were significantly higher in both males and females that were neutered either early or late compared with intact (non-neutered) dogs. I don't want to add to the pet overpopulation problem, so I won't leave my dog intact.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5152 posts
660 upvotes
South of Ottawa
McCarter wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 3:59 pm
There are negatives (both health-wise and behavior-wise) to all options: keeping the dog intact, vasectomy or neutering. However, in my mind, vasectomy seems better for dogs (in particular males) than neutering. According to a 2013 UC Davis Study, for two joint disorders and three cancers (e.g. hip dysplasia, lymphosarcoma), the disease rates were significantly higher in both males and females that were neutered either early or late compared with intact (non-neutered) dogs. I don't want to add to the pet overpopulation problem, so I won't leave my dog intact.
The UC Davis study was only Golden retrievers and labs. Considering that goldens and labs are rampant with joint problems and cancer due to puppymilling and overbreeding, I'm not sure how such a study can come to any conclusions.

From everything I've read and heard about it, not many vets do vasectomies. I would call around to holisitic vets in your area. There are a couple of vet techs that post here that may be able to give more information.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3419 posts
1352 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
McCarter wrote:
My Jack Russell is intact. There's no danger of unwanted puppies as he is never off leash. He's healthy, not aggressive or anything, and I've never had a problem with how he behaves around other dogs. Our other dog is a rescue, so he was already fixed when we got him. He's actually far more aggressive with other dogs than our intact boy (however I think that is due to other factors in his upbringing before we had him). Both of our dogs absolutely love people to death.
May 12, 2009
683 posts
256 upvotes
McCarter wrote:
vasectomy seems better for dogs (in particular males)
How could you give a vasectomy to a female?