• Jun 17th, 2013 11:51 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
2352 posts
368 upvotes

VHS Video Tape Recycling

I've finally got around to digitising my old video tapes... now I have about 50 tapes to get rid of.

I'm sickened by the idea of just throwing them all into a dumpster.

I've done some research, and learned that the outer casing (the thing you handle that goes into the VCR) may be made of polystyrene (which is #6, not recyclable in Toronto), and that the tape inside (the actual TAPE itself, on the spools) inside the "case" is generally NOT recyclable.

So I'm wondering if there are any companies that will accept video tapes for recycling... alternatively, is there anyone out there who wants dozens of old video tapes with material suitable for, ahem, mature audiences? Films by Falcon, Titan, Colt, etc.?
Human Right's Campaign "Coming Out Center" - Visibility = Understanding. If you're queer, be seen and heard. Come Out!
The Story of Bottled Water - Bottled water is terrible and wasteful!
SDM Optimum points primer
48 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6201 posts
73 upvotes
Go hand them for free in front of a school. I'm sure they'll go quickly. :D It's pron after all..
Mar 1, 2005
81 posts
How about offering them on your local freecycle list?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
2352 posts
368 upvotes
tao wrote:
May 17th, 2008 7:34 pm
How about offering them on your local freecycle list?
I'm not sure what a "freecycle list" is. If you can provide more info, please do!
Human Right's Campaign "Coming Out Center" - Visibility = Understanding. If you're queer, be seen and heard. Come Out!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6201 posts
73 upvotes
check yahoo groups and search for "freecycle" and your city name. I'm sure some pervert will take them off your hands :lol:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
2352 posts
368 upvotes
Most of the freecycle lists seem to turn up their noses at anything "adult" oriented... Freecycle Cabbagetown wouldn't accept my very benignly-worded post (didn't even mention adult videos: Mentioned the studios only, and where I purchased them). So much for that idea. Don't much like being 'judged' by hippies. :-)

*EDIT* the ad appeared about 4 days later: got contacted a few days after that, and a dashing bloke picked them up... but no where in the ad did it say "pron" or anything like it... so I guess I wasn't judged by hippies after all.
Feb 27, 2004
807 posts
Ottawa
lorax1284 wrote:
May 16th, 2008 2:57 pm
I've finally got around to digitising my old video tapes... now I have about 50 tapes to get rid of.

I'm sickened by the idea of just throwing them all into a dumpster.

I've done some research, and learned that the outer casing (the thing you handle that goes into the VCR) may be made of polystyrene (which is #6, not recyclable in Toronto), and that the tape inside (the actual TAPE itself, on the spools) inside the "case" is generally NOT recyclable.

So I'm wondering if there are any companies that will accept video tapes for recycling... alternatively, is there anyone out there who wants dozens of old video tapes with material suitable for, ahem, mature audiences? Films by Falcon, Titan, Colt, etc.?
Geez, what happened to the olden days when you just put it in a cardboard box, wrote "FREE PR0N" and put it by the curb? :D
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6201 posts
73 upvotes
bigshotceo wrote:
May 31st, 2008 7:02 pm
Geez, what happened to the olden days when you just put it in a cardboard box, wrote "FREE PR0N" and put it by the curb? :D
Much funnier if you put the box with the sign on your neighbour's lawn.. ;)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
2352 posts
368 upvotes
mart242 wrote:
Jun 1st, 2008 9:09 pm
Much funnier if you put the box with the sign on your neighbour's lawn.. ;)
I don't have a curb: or a neighbour's lawn (downtown highrise), but that certainly would be an option... drive out to Riverdale or whatever and just leave them on anyones lawn... or maybe even at an elementary school! :evil:
Deal Expert
Jan 8, 2007
23285 posts
612 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe you could've sold them to an adult video store for like $5 for the gas to get down there.

Good that you got rid of them.

If anyone has any regular movies on VHS they want to toss, think about dropping them off at the Pediatric unit of a hospital like the one at 400 / Finch. They aren't yet at the DVD level of technology so they welcome any VHS movies for young kids and even teens.
Dec 23, 2007
325 posts
3 upvotes
Give them to a school. Teachers can always use them.
Jun 18, 2008
1 posts
Edmonton
I don't know about Toronto, but in Edmonton there are some computer recycling companies that accept VHS and cassette tapes for recycling.

(see www.edmonton.ca/reusedirectory and search 'VHS'... the company contact info is there)

I don't think any school or non-profit wants your home recorded videos... store bought videos are obviously more desirable and would likely be appreciated by the school or daycare or non-profit.

The one company told me that they recycle the VHS film by melting it down and it becomes a paint additive. THe plastic VHS casing can be recycled into plastic lumber or other plastic products.
× < >