• Sep 18th, 2018 7:36 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 11, 2008
673 posts
26 upvotes
Courtice

VIA Rail seating

I have never been on a VIA Rail train before. I might be going to Montreal from Toronto for a weekend in October. For the economy seats, do they have tables so you can sit facing another person traveling with you or are you always side by side?
5 replies
Jul 4, 2018
142 posts
201 upvotes
There are seats where you face each other but those are usually reserved for groups of 4. I haven't booked too many rides to see if that's an option for less people than that
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
10082 posts
7396 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Although traditionally all the seats in a Via train have had the capacity to revolve into a 2 facing 2 configuration... train conductors are resistant to doing that.
So now it gotten that the only spots that are permanently set up in that configuration are the ends of the car (the corners).
Seats are assigned by ticket numbers / location
So indeed those spots typically go to groups of 4 travelling together

Sitting side by side is not the end of the world...
But I definitely think facing each other is part of what made train travel in the past so much more enjoyable

I still enjoy train travel... but it was definitely MUCH BETTER before Via took it over and made it such a homogenous experience
[OP]
Sep 11, 2008
673 posts
26 upvotes
Courtice
Yes, I would rather face someone and have a proper chat and share the view out of the window. I looked online and was shocked to see how out of date the trains are too compared to the modern, cheaper ones in Europe.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
10082 posts
7396 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
onepixel wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 5:08 pm
Yes, I would rather face someone and have a proper chat and share the view out of the window. I looked online and was shocked to see how out of date the trains are too compared to the modern, cheaper ones in Europe.
Europe & Canada almost same size in area
Europe = 742 Million people
Canada = 37 Million people

Plus in North America the car is king because everything is so spread out here

Unless / until people want to become greener, and stop using their personal vehicles... ain’t no one going to invest billions in modernizing the train system