• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2018 6:02 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
1867 posts
35 upvotes

Victim of hit and run today at Costco

My car was hit by a minivan today at Costco, I only remember the car and not the license plate.
No witnesses came forward, I arrived and the car had already taken off.
Costco does not have video footage in their parking lot.

I have to pay a $500 deductible.
Next time this happens, what's a good way to monitor the car? Is the front and rear view camera good enough?
Are there models of cars that keep recording in all directions? I remember a Honda model, maybe a Civic? that had video in all directions, but not sure if it only ran when the ignition was on.

Thanks
45 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
7138 posts
976 upvotes
Show damage.

Were you busy lining up for chicken
Koodo 8GB $45
Bell Fibe 300 $25
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
3977 posts
465 upvotes
After watching a grandma stealing my parking spot only to hit the car as she pulled in then panick as it’s her daughters mini van and her kids in it.

I will say Costco will have nothing to do with it and turns a blind eye. Won’t touch it nor even take a statement from a concerned citizen who wanted to leave a note. Good luck.
Heatware
The difference between wanting and needing is how you justify it.
Jan 24, 2015
155 posts
49 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
wrong forum OP

there are dashcams that react to movement that might help you out. but they'd need a battery to run when the car isn't running
Mar 18, 2008
50 posts
4 upvotes
toronto
Sorry to hear about that OP.

Most dash cams have a function where if there is impact to your car, it turns on and starts recording. However, it requires power for said function.

Most dash cams barely store enough power to turn on and record for more than 15 seconds(my experience)

I’ve seen setups where people have a few battery packs in the car exclusively for dash cams. Not sure if this would suffice.

Honestly, hit and run situations are pretty shitty. I’m surprised no one held the runner accountable in such a high traffic area.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
1011 posts
503 upvotes
Waterloo
sparkaction wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 12:41 am
Give him/her a break. OP experienced a tramatic event and isn't thinking right.
A fender bender when you're not even in the car is not a traumatic event. For all we know, his car was dented ever so slightly that the guy who hit it didn't even realize.
Mar 13, 2012
343 posts
204 upvotes
Surrey
OP. u don’t have a dash cam and already on RFD SINCE 2006? It’s hard to believe and posted on wrong forum
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
3553 posts
521 upvotes
sparkaction wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 12:41 am
Give him/her a break. OP experienced a tramatic event and isn't thinking right.
Losing a $500 deductible is a traumatic experience? Fortunately, no one got injured.
signature closed for renovation
Jul 11, 2018
42 posts
23 upvotes
Sicklyslick wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 12:49 am
A fender bender when you're not even in the car is not a traumatic event. For all we know, his car was dented ever so slightly that the guy who hit it didn't even realize.
In Canada, a few dents and scratches can still result in a write-off when going through the insurer. If they are good driver they might want to lower their claim deductible, especially if in the GTA.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
2629 posts
522 upvotes
Toronto
Pics or it didn't happen.
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
This line is heavy..
Jun 23, 2003
288 posts
110 upvotes
As hard as it is to believe, even the old Costco return policy wouldn’t even have helped you here.

Chalk it up to bad luck and timing OP.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2009
1874 posts
285 upvotes
Toronto
Wrong section. This does not belong in hot deals. Publicizing this here won't help you. What's done is done. Call up your insurance and they will handle the repairs from there.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
2593 posts
524 upvotes
Quebec
Did you at least call the police?
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
2593 posts
524 upvotes
Quebec
Victim of a hit and run look like a good movie title

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)