[OP]
Apr 25, 2010
154 posts
148 upvotes
Toronto

Video: Driver hits woman trying to leave scene of collision

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/0 ... mpton.html

Video: https://www.facebook.com/vandon.gene.58 ... 567233611/

Peel Regional Police have charged a teenager after a video emerged online showing a vehicle driving into another person, seemingly deliberately, to escape the scene of a collision.

Police said they were called to the intersection of Wanless Dr. and Tournament Dr., near Hurontario St., at 12:50 p.m., and found two victims who said their cars had been hit by a woman driving a white sedan.

A video posted to Facebook that has racked up 120,000 views since Friday sheds a little more light on the situation. The footage shows a group of people standing outside of a white car stopped behind another at an intersection, arguing with the driver of that vehicle, seemingly after a minor collision. Two women stand in front of the vehicle, while a man films from the side.

Soon after the idea of calling police is brought up, the woman behind the wheel of the white vehicle suddenly attempts to drive forward and swerve around the car ahead of her to escape the intersection. One of the other women stops the vehicle by standing directly in front of it.

“Where are you going?” the woman asks the driver.

Some more yelling ensues, and the woman in front of the hood of the vehicle puts a phone to her ear, seemingly to call the police.

At that point, the driver suddenly accelerates into the woman, pushing her back as she struggles to stay on her feet. The vehicle mounts the curb of a traffic island one lane over, and the woman on the hood staggers away, holding her leg. As the group of people continue to yell, the white vehicle backs up off the curb and speeds away down the street.

Police said the victim who was struck suffered minor injuries and that they are aware of the footage.

On Saturday, the day after the collision, police announced that they had made an arrest.

Carly Napoli, an 18-year-old from Brampton, was charged with two counts of failing to remain at the scene of an accident and one count of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle.

She is due to appear in court in Brampton in September.
Last edited by word_play on Aug 12th, 2018 7:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
45 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
21528 posts
6419 upvotes
Toronto
All I can say ... what was she (mazda driver) thinking ?
[OP]
Apr 25, 2010
154 posts
148 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 6:50 pm
All I can say ... what was she (mazda driver) thinking ?
I laughed out loud when she said, "I literally don't want to be in this"
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17184 posts
2062 upvotes
Langley
Yeah. I wouldnt want to be in a Mazda either.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
21528 posts
6419 upvotes
Toronto
Penalty for Dangerous Driving

The penalties for dangerous driving are imposed by the judge upon enter a conviction to the charge including;

a criminal record for life,
an automatic one-year drivers licence suspension, and
the possibility of jail
fines
probation
at least a 100% jump in your insurance rates for at least five (5) years
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
4745 posts
3466 upvotes
Montreal
The most amazing part...no rust on the Mazda
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2012
4955 posts
512 upvotes
Toronto
wow, she actually left the scene. i hope she gets some time
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6247 posts
1062 upvotes
Why did she step in front of that vehicle? In a situation like this you should always stay in your vehicle or stand on the sidewalk. Last place you want to be is standing on the road - I mean she was so close to being killed.

That Mazda driver going to be in a lot of trouble.
________

"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2446 posts
1320 upvotes
Montreal
blexann wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 9:34 pm
Why did she step in front of that vehicle? In a situation like this you should always stay in your vehicle or stand on the sidewalk. Last place you want to be is standing on the road - I mean she was so close to being killed.

That Mazda driver going to be in a lot of trouble.
Yeah that was a really stupid move and very close call, if she didn't move sideways and tripped on that curb while moving back, she'd likely be dead.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
20059 posts
1732 upvotes
Toronto
I really hope that the driver of the Mazda gets charged with some offense and is actually convicted.

Ontario driving laws are way too lax - the Mazda driver should be held accountable for their actions with consequences (not just a fine or a slap on the wrist).

I'd like to see what the final outcome of this is - I suspect nothing but a fine but I could be wrong.

Not exactly the same but my sister's parked car was rammed in a parking lot a few days ago and driver didn't even stop to check out or leave a note (as no one was around). Luckily my sis was able to get the security footage which clearly shows the driver, car\make\model AND license plate# and driver getting in their car before the accident. Probably close to $3000 worth of damage or more.

Sad to say, when my sis went to the collision reporting centre to file the report - police rep indicated probably nothing will come out of it (law-wise) but that her insurance company will go after the culprit's insurance company.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7592 posts
3433 upvotes
Toronto
ji2o0k wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 9:57 pm
I really hope that the driver of the Mazda gets charged with some offense and is actually convicted.

Ontario driving laws are way too lax - the Mazda driver should be held accountable for their actions with consequences (not just a fine or a slap on the wrist).

I'd like to see what the final outcome of this is - I suspect nothing but a fine but I could be wrong.

Not exactly the same but my sister's parked car was rammed in a parking lot a few days ago and driver didn't even stop to check out or leave a note (as no one was around). Luckily my sis was able to get the security footage which clearly shows the driver, car\make\model AND license plate# and driver getting in their car before the accident. Probably close to $3000 worth of damage or more.

Sad to say, when my sis went to the collision reporting centre to file the report - police rep indicated probably nothing will come out of it (law-wise) but that her insurance company will go after the culprit's insurance company.
amount of stupid drivers out there has been increasing exponentially... It's nuts. I don't get it.
Penalty Box
Jul 17, 2008
8427 posts
1826 upvotes
Simply because she's a woman the charges will automatically be significantly less than if he was a man, add a bit of crying during trial and the judge is a man, and she'll barely get half of what she deserves.
Dec 24, 2011
604 posts
156 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 12:56 am
Simply because she's a woman the charges will automatically be significantly less than if he was a man, add a bit of crying during trial and the judge is a man, and she'll barely get half of what she deserves.
At the very least it's a viral video, everyone who knows her is going to look at her in disgust.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)