Toronto
It's just a placeholder price... super mario odyssey was $49 during the E3 Sale
Feb 6, 2008
749 posts
242 upvotes
Hamilton
Turismo wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 12:54 am
I remember NES games in the late 80's being anywhere from $100 to $120. Lived in a town of 80,000 and the local Audio/Video shop price gouged us.
Where was this?
Aug 27, 2012
72 posts
55 upvotes
Vancouver
The exact same pricing happened when Zelda Twilight Princess HD released on Wii U, it was a placeholder price then. Back then tho Wii U titles regularly sold for $69.99 but because it was bundled with an Amiibo the price was increased to $79.99 to offset the cost. I know some of these titles will have Amiibo being released for them, perhaps they are just safeguarding the possibility of a similarly bundled game and Amiibo... regardless I'm glad I managed to get my Mario Odyssey preordered at $49.99 during E3. Always pre-order titles you might be interested in if they offer some sort of pre-order discount. Just to cover yourself for getting it for less $$ at launch, if anything could just cancel the order before it ships.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2001
4567 posts
1371 upvotes
plucky duck wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 12:32 am
Games for the Panasonic 3DO were going for hundreds of dollars. Games for SNES were over $100 for AAA titles. Digital downloads for PS4 and XBox are relatively inexpensive in comparison.

Wish games still run on credit card sized sim cards, ala Turbo Graphics 16, so fun to trade and rent cartridges back then.
DD pricing is a joke..it's often more expensive (or the best case - the same price) than boxed games, especially when you consider the E3 deals.
Nov 26, 2015
63 posts
31 upvotes
Calgary, AB
The fact this is a front page article is shameful. You have done next to no research, and are making wild speculative claims. This should be taken down.
Oct 12, 2014
342 posts
86 upvotes
London, ON
On my Xbox I just saw the new Capcom vs Marvel game, I'd love to buy that game. But at $119 hell naw, I'll wait for a good sale. I can wait years if need be
[OP]
Nov 5, 2007
75 posts
13 upvotes
Nexzen wrote:
Jun 21st, 2017 7:15 pm
It's just a placeholder price... super mario odyssey was $49 during the E3 Sale
The day that E3 deal was posted, Super Mario Odyssey was $49 briefly at Walmart.ca. Then it was out of stock the rest of the sale. I'm sure some lucky people got it at that price, for me by the time I tried to checkout it was out of stock.
[OP]
Nov 5, 2007
75 posts
13 upvotes
Dakralai wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2017 9:49 am
The fact this is a front page article is shameful. You have done next to no research, and are making wild speculative claims. This should be taken down.
It's a valid question. When I see 4 Nintendo Switch games at $99.99, it's a cause for concern. I mean everyone knows games are $79.99, right. So why have all retailers chosen a "placeholder" price of $99.99? Is Nintendo testing the waters? Why not list it at $79.99 like every other PlayStation and Xbox game? It just seems fishy and warrants discussion.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5772 posts
690 upvotes
Grimsby
I understand the concern. Common sense says that when you see a price in a retail store, that's the price.

Often times the industry uses placeholder prices and dates but it's not often clear to people and the odd time it turns out to be the actual price. Our dollar isn't in great shape but not $99.99 territory either so I think you're probably fine. Amazon.ca has a preorder price guarantee, if the price drops they will adjust it. So if you want to preorder that would be a safer option or just keep an eye on it and if they don't drop then cancel at any time before the game releases.
Jan 7, 2009
860 posts
89 upvotes
Lol... I ordered Super Mario Odyssey, BOTW, Mario Kart 8, Xenoblade, KH3, FFVII, etc for $36.xx from Best Buy USA last December stacking GCU and VCO $25 off $100.
"Because ten billion years' time is so fragile, so ephemeral... it arouses such a bittersweet, almost heartbreaking fondness."
Jun 13, 2017
1 posts
I'd rather everyone goes bananas over this than $99.99 being the new standard. Even though it is a placeholder, the main reason why they are doing this is because of the exchange rate.