Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Videotron] $23/month New Discount Cellular Service called Fizz: Québec prov./Ottawa region Unlimited voice + text + 1 GB LTE data

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2019 9:11 am
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2004
2218 posts
51 upvotes
Ottawa
ottawa_guy wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 8:40 am
Been using the service for about a week and a half. My summary so far:

- Good in the coverage zone for sure. It’s usable and sometimes faster than the big three depending on what part of the city you’re in.
- 3G calling (not a deal breaker). Although I’ve had 5 or 6 dropped calls/ busy signal immediately which is weird
- There ARE dead zones where the big three would be active, although out of the coverage zone. Had phone calls not work nor data in the rural areas.

If you are in a city centre all of the time it’s more than feasible to switch. I’m debating on using the credits and finding a similar plan with less data on a Tier 2 provider (I usually use 2-4GB a month). I just don’t want to be out of the city for work and in a dead zone.
If you're out of the coverage zone it should be roaming on Fizz EXT? (Rogers or Bell)
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2011
1255 posts
920 upvotes
WESTMOUNT
varshan wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 12:38 pm
I have some data to give, PM me if you want some.
PM sent!
Last edited by herrdude on Mar 19th, 2019 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
1821 posts
530 upvotes
Ottawa
barrist wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 7:02 pm
If you're out of the coverage zone it should be roaming on Fizz EXT? (Rogers or Bell)
Most are Rogers in Ottawa surrendering area but it's Bell (Telus) in Winchester
L.I.F.E. - Let It Flow Effortlessly - R. McDougal/ Isle of View
Enjoy your candle of life. May it warm you & light your way.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1406 posts
161 upvotes
Lévis
Just realised I asked this question on the fizz internet thread...
So here we go:
How's the cell service now? I see many peoples having troubles but did they improved?
I'm thinking unlimited voice + voicemail for 15$ for my mother to replace her insanely priced bell landline. But she's absolutely 0 when it comes to tech and I don't live near so it has to be troublefree as much as possible. Otherwise I'll just wait untill they improve, there's no rush. Installation will be done by me.
thanks
Pourquoi pas?
Aug 22, 2009
254 posts
160 upvotes
Ottawa
barrist wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 7:02 pm
Yes. And it does. But sometimes there is little to no reception on 3G, don’t even think about LTE. When you try to go online all it does is time out. Shows no internet connection. I’ve only found this in one or two rural areas. If you’re on the highways you’re more than fine.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
2790 posts
3255 upvotes
Montreal
SPARTACVS wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 10:19 pm
(...) How's the cell service now? I see many peoples having troubles but did they improved? I'm thinking unlimited voice + voicemail for 15$ for my mother to replace her insanely priced bell landline. But she's absolutely 0 when it comes to tech and I don't live near so it has to be troublefree as much as possible. (,,,)
I would say the cell service part of the deal has been problem free for months now, at least in my case. I'm a very light user. The problems linger in the more technical part of the offering like MMS and 2FA which your mom would most likely be oblivious about.

But if I may, before you cancel your mom’s Bell land line, here are a few points to consider.

There's no contest, 911 with Bell is more secure and easier to deal with. First because the Bell land line always has power even during a power outage until Bell's batteries at the Central Office are dead which will probably never happen. So if you have an ordinary telephone plugged to a Bell land line, it's almost 100% safe.

A cell phone, on the other hand, has to be at least partially charged at all times to be safe. If the cell’s battery is discharged, no 911!

It depends on your mom’s situation. How old is she? What’s her health status? Does she show early signs of dementia? Does she live alone? Does she have neighbors? Etc.

In case of emergency, she would have to be able to say her address because localization only goes up to a certain precision and not pin point.

It also depends on your mom’s financial situation: will that make a big difference either way if she goes from Bell to a cell on Fizz?

You should balance the risks versus the savings. Is it worth it?

If your mom is still young, in reasonably good health, with neighbors and relatives around a cell on Fizz to replace a Bell land line could be an option for a while.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
1821 posts
530 upvotes
Ottawa
SPARTACVS wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 10:19 pm
Just realised I asked this question on the fizz internet thread...
So here we go:
How's the cell service now? I see many peoples having troubles but did they improved?
I'm thinking unlimited voice + voicemail for 15$ for my mother to replace her insanely priced bell landline. But she's absolutely 0 when it comes to tech and I don't live near so it has to be troublefree as much as possible. Otherwise I'll just wait untill they improve, there's no rush. Installation will be done by me.
thanks
Fizz is very reliable for voice only. Make sure you give your mom a phone with longer battery life and bigger button, such as this flip phone.

Fizz MMS, 2FA have problems but it has nothing to do with the function you need.

https://ca.alcatelmobile.com/alcatel-go-flip/
L.I.F.E. - Let It Flow Effortlessly - R. McDougal/ Isle of View
Enjoy your candle of life. May it warm you & light your way.
Jul 27, 2016
39 posts
32 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks OP.
Signup Fizz yesterday and had nothing but good experience so far.
Everything worked as expected, SIM card arrive earlier than expected, used my referral code with no issue, coverage shows as LTE with no dead spot here in Ottawa, no issue with sending & receiving sms txt on iPhone7.
I Wish they provide 613 instead of 343 area code other than that no other issue so far.
Apr 28, 2012
151 posts
137 upvotes
MONTRÉAL
Hey Fizzlers,

What so you guys think of Public Mobile offering 1gb and unlimited Canada wide talk and text for 23$ as well ? The post about this PM deal is blowing up huge.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
2790 posts
3255 upvotes
Montreal
valcyclovir wrote:
Mar 21st, 2019 2:40 pm
Hey Fizzlers, What so you guys think of Public Mobile offering 1gb and unlimited Canada wide talk and text for 23$ as well ? The post about this PM deal is blowing up huge.
I haven't checked PM's offer.
Does PM offer rollover of data for the next 2 billing cycles like Fizz?
1 GB is not a lot but you could make it if you know your unused data from the previous months doesn't just go to waste but will rollover.

Do you pay for many lines for the whole family like @DoorCrasher? If one family member is short on data one month while another still has a lot, Fizz subscribers can gift excess data to one another. Because of this, with Fizz, you can get away with a smaller data plan than you would otherwise with another provider. That is something to consider.

Do you live in Québec like me? "Canada wide" means nothing to me. I don't know anyone outside of the Montréal area, except a few exceptional RFDers that I communicate with by PM. :)

Do you care about the speed at which you download and upload? According to this Thread Summary, "Public Mobile throttles their LTE network for customers on the so called 3G speed plans. You continue to have access to the LTE network but the data speed is capped at around 3 mbits/s download and upload." With Fizz, I regularly get 100/30 Mbps Download/Upload.

Do you care how long it takes to obtain Customer Support, should you need it? According to "embguy" Public Mobile's "Support is provided by the moderator of the PM community moderator. Moderator wait time is 48 hours". Yikes! With Fizz, support can often be had in a matter of minutes over chat.

Then there's the competition factor: if the offers are similar, which provider will you vote for with your money?
Public Mobile who only lowered their prices AFTER a new player like Fizz entered the market, over charging their customers for years?
Or Fizz who is responsible for stimulating the competition and finally bringing lower prices?
Think about it. Too late Public Mobile?
Last edited by Temporel on Mar 22nd, 2019 12:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Feb 27, 2007
335 posts
127 upvotes
Montreal
Family member on Samsung S6 for 1 month, everything "worked" fine. No LTE nor 3G symbol for 2 hours this afternoon, data stopped for 2 hours in new location somewhere in Montreal/Brossard. We never "fixed" APN settings for Fizz as it has been working fine (could be on LTE). I checked online, no sign of Fizz data stoppage this afternoon, must be their phone.

Questions:
1. Does this sounds like problem due to APN setting?
2. If one's plan has no SMS, can one send MMS(has data plan)?
3. We followed instructions in the link below. Entered APN settings, tested data OK. Do we need to do anything else for MMS?

Note: Fizz's instruction on https://fizz.ca/en/faq/what-are-fizz-ne ... ings-apn#2 . . . . "My plans → Manage plan → Advanced parameters → Fizz network parameters → Resend me the notifications". "Advanced parameters" link is no longer in my account. Fizz Facebook replied that "button" doesn't work properly, send "instruction" and suggested manually change settings (identical to listed on the above link).
Last edited by MontrealPost on Mar 21st, 2019 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 22, 2008
26 posts
1 upvote
Montreal
I also have some data to give, PM me if you want some.

Thanks !
Sep 9, 2016
60 posts
2 upvotes
Was thinking of adding a 2nd & 3rd line to my account. If I want to pay them all with the same credit card, for the referral bonuses should I use one account as the referral for the other, or just use someone else's.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
2198 posts
1203 upvotes
Montreal
valcyclovir wrote:
Mar 21st, 2019 2:40 pm
Hey Fizzlers,

What so you guys think of Public Mobile offering 1gb and unlimited Canada wide talk and text for 23$ as well ? The post about this PM deal is blowing up huge.
crappy deal. I have over 4GB(or 8GB or 12GB) per month for 33$
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2143 posts
810 upvotes
Quebec
spig01 wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2019 8:27 am
Was thinking of adding a 2nd & 3rd line to my account. If I want to pay them all with the same credit card, for the referral bonuses should I use one account as the referral for the other, or just use someone else's.
You should create 1 account per line to use more often your own ref code

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)