Hot Deals

[Videotron] Videotron BYOD Promotion $49.95 6GB (Ottawa/Quebec)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2017 1:46 pm
Oct 4, 2008
240 posts
56 upvotes
Lukus2017 wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 9:35 pm
Am I to understand that outside of Quebec, this deal is only good for people in the Ottawa region? I ask because I have a friend from Timmins (ON) that would like to sign up for this deal and port over her number (2 phones actually). There are possibly two issues for her though. She'll be in Ottawa in a few days and I wonder if the Videotron kiosk guy will port over her 705 area code number. Also, in Timmins, she would most certainly be using Rogers network at all times. Would Videotron suspend her account after a while?
First of all, your friend needs to have a residential address in Ottawa shown in government issued ID or bills (not sure) because Videotron won't accept a new service request if it is not in its service area. My address in Ottawa was not in Videotron mobile service's database. It took them 1 day to update the database in the back-end before I can sign up the service.
Last edited by maho on Aug 24th, 2017 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 4, 2008
240 posts
56 upvotes
grouchy1 wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 10:34 pm
Sorry, should have been more clear. Sending MMS from my wife's cell phone in Ottawa and receiving the MMS on mine in Ottawa appear to be free. Both ends of the MMS are either on the Videotron or Rogers (PRTNR 1) because I don't see any MMS on my PRTNR 2 summary.

I know that she has tried to send me MMS while she was in Ottawa and I was in Toronto, but I never got them and they don't show up on either of our bills.
Thanks for clarification.
I asked this question because at Videotron website, it states free MMS sending from Quebec (in which I understand it implies from Videotron own network in Quebec and city of Ottawa). Thus, I am interested to know whether it is free to send MMS from Partner-1 (Rogers) network in the rest of Canada. :-)

Personally, I doubt that it is free from Partner-1 network in the rest of Canada. If it is free from sending MMS in Partner-1 network in the rest of Canada, subscribers (or RFD'ers) would always dispute the MMS charge sending from Partner-2 network as the cellphone would swap between Partner-1 and Partner-2 network automatically based on the signal strength. e.g. it happened when I stayed at a hotel in GTA recently.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
1917 posts
406 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Lukus2017 wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 11:25 pm
If I remove the checkmarks for Partner 1 & 2, it still shows coverage in Timmins. There is another coverage option called Partner that is checked off but grayed out. Not sure what partner that is but the coverage has to be provided by them because Videotron has no presence in Northern Ontario as far as I know. So with that said, looks like she would be using Partner and Partner 1 but not Partner 2. So would she be redflagged for constantly using Partner 1?
No, you would be fine. 'Partner' is their own network, I believe 'Partner 1' is Bell/Telus which is just like being on your own network. Rogers is 'Partner 2' and everything's the same except if you spend 50% or more of your time in 'Partner 2' network over any 3 month period, you will be charged (but I don't think suspended).

EDIT: Someone above said Partner 1 is Rogers which would make Bell/Telus Partner 2. Double check and do your research. Seems quite confusing!
Last edited by djdestroyer on Aug 24th, 2017 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
1917 posts
406 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
nuclearsnake2 wrote:
Aug 24th, 2017 12:08 am
Where did you see that?

I'm looking for a new phone, and wanted to try out the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4, but it's not comparable with Videotron's network from what Im reading. If what you said about Partner1 is true, couldn't I just roam on that network?
Hearsay. I could go goolge it but I expect the folks interested in it to do that. Don't take my word for it. Call them up, I hear they have good CS.

I bet your Redmi Note 4 would be fine. Check the bands though but I have one on Telus and it works great. Haven't been too far out of Ottawa yet though so we'll see how the band support is when I get to the cottage.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
1917 posts
406 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
maho wrote:
Aug 24th, 2017 8:58 am
Thanks for clarification.
I asked this question because at Videotron website, it states free MMS sending from Quebec (in which I understand it implies from Videotron own network in Quebec and city of Ottawa). Thus, I am interested to know whether it is free to send MMS from Partner-1 (Rogers) network in the rest of Canada. :-)

Personally, I doubt that it is free from Partner-1 network in the rest of Canada. If it is free from sending MMS in Partner-1 network in the rest of Canada, subscribers (or RFD'ers) would always dispute the MMS charge sending from Partner-2 network as the cellphone would swap between Partner-1 and Partner-2 network automatically based on the signal strength. e.g. it happened when I stayed at a hotel in GTA recently.
Partner 2 incurs charges for MMS? That doesn't sound right.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2012
3853 posts
962 upvotes
djdestroyer wrote:
Aug 24th, 2017 9:30 am
Hearsay. I could go goolge it but I expect the folks interested in it to do that. Don't take my word for it. Call them up, I hear they have good CS.

I bet your Redmi Note 4 would be fine. Check the bands though but I have one on Telus and it works great. Haven't been too far out of Ottawa yet though so we'll see how the band support is when I get to the cottage.
I would be risky to use it, it doesn't have the 3G band videotron uses, but does have the 4G band. I looked on frequency check. The only Xiaomi phone that supports all those frequencies is the Mi Note 2.
As we all know, the Greater Toronto Area is the center of the universe!
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2008
13356 posts
4167 upvotes
Gatineau
Poutinesauce wrote:
Aug 24th, 2017 10:18 am
I would be risky to use it, it doesn't have the 3G band videotron uses, but does have the 4G band. I looked on frequency check. The only Xiaomi phone that supports all those frequencies is the Mi Note 2.
Does Videotron support VoLTE? Would that be an option should that phone not have the band for Videotron's 3G Network?

djino
Dec 7, 2001
463 posts
126 upvotes
Nepean
kennyt18 wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 5:36 pm
Is it 6GB per line or is it 6GB shared?
I want to know as well ...
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2008
13356 posts
4167 upvotes
Gatineau
zepperdude wrote:
Aug 24th, 2017 12:29 pm
I want to know as well ...
Per line.

djino
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2012
3853 posts
962 upvotes
I must say so far that Videotron's network seems very fast. I tried all of them and it seems the best.
As we all know, the Greater Toronto Area is the center of the universe!
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2009
3849 posts
1010 upvotes
Just switched 2 lines from Koodo in Ottawa, working great
Sim card is $5 + $10 activation per line
Nov 25, 2006
328 posts
32 upvotes
Ottawa
lifeisfuneh wrote:
Aug 24th, 2017 1:42 pm
Just switched 2 lines from Koodo in Ottawa, working great
Sim card is $5 + $10 activation per line
At the Kiosk in St Laurent Mall, correct?
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
1457 posts
404 upvotes
Montreal
djino wrote:
Aug 24th, 2017 10:23 am
Does Videotron support VoLTE? Would that be an option should that phone not have the band for Videotron's 3G Network?

djino
No VoLTE
Mar 9, 2005
195 posts
19 upvotes
djdestroyer wrote:
Aug 24th, 2017 9:32 am
Partner 2 incurs charges for MMS? That doesn't sound right.
Data for MMS comes out of your data allocation if not in Quebec. In Quebec, MMS doesn't count against your data plan.
Oct 4, 2008
240 posts
56 upvotes
geckofish wrote:
Aug 24th, 2017 7:53 pm
Data for MMS comes out of your data allocation if not in Quebec. In Quebec, MMS doesn't count against your data plan.
Nice if it is the case.