Careers

VIEW: Companies should post Compensation for Positions.

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2017 1:14 pm
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
26688 posts
1650 upvotes
Winnipeg
Octavius wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 12:27 am
One of the few things the public sector does that makes complete sense that private sector seems to not do on a regular basis.

The topic of salary is generally taboo until later on in the interview process. If neither side can come to a mutually acceptable salary range and if this would have been known at the outset, a lot of time and resources could have been saved on both sides in not spending time on something that wouldn't bear any fruit.
a lot of jobs do post their salary, and if they don't, just ask in the interview, i always do
4930k/32gb/256gb ssd/8tb hdd/win10pro/msi 290
bst/free stuff/btc/ether
Aug 22, 2011
11 posts
1 upvote
NORTH YORK
Thats why websites like glassdoor are starting to put the power back in the employees hands. They are slowly staring to get populated with current salary info for individual companies.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7530 posts
775 upvotes
Markham
divx wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 12:28 am
a lot of jobs do post their salary, and if they don't, just ask in the interview, i always do
Actually, most of the jobs don't post salary unless you applying thru a recruiter or HR agencies.

If a job is offering way less that your expectation, it is a waste of time for both party to have an interview. Most people work during the day and have to take a personal day or a sick day + commute for an interview as well.

I would suggest a job posting to post the salary range for the position they hiring for.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
26688 posts
1650 upvotes
Winnipeg
MP3_SKY wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 1:52 pm
Actually, most of the jobs don't post salary unless you applying thru a recruiter or HR agencies.

If a job is offering way less that your expectation, it is a waste of time for both party to have an interview. Most people work during the day and have to take a personal day or a sick day + commute for an interview as well.

I would suggest a job posting to post the salary range for the position they hiring for.
have phone/skype interview and keep it short, wrap it up if the pay is not agreeable
bst/free stuff/btc/ether
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7530 posts
775 upvotes
Markham
divx wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 4:13 pm
have phone/skype interview and keep it short, wrap it up if the pay is not agreeable
That's only if the recruiter agree to do phone interview.

I denied couple employment offers after went through 2-3 stage of interview due to the compensation offer is not better off for me to make a bump.

Few years ago, I get an email back from another hiring recruiter (not job agency), she ask me the availability for the interview. I replied and I also politely asked the salary range for the position, she never reply back to me.
I don't think I'm being rude, it is much worse than if we gone through all interviews and I end up having to deny your offer because I'm better off staying with my current employer.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
26688 posts
1650 upvotes
Winnipeg
MP3_SKY wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 4:16 pm
That's only if the recruiter agree to do phone interview.

I denied couple employment offers after went through 2-3 stage of interview due to the compensation offer is not better off for me to make a bump.

Few years ago, I get an email back from another hiring recruiter (not job agency), she ask me the availability for the interview. I replied and I also politely asked the salary range for the position, she never reply back to me.
I don't think I'm being rude, it is much worse than if we gone through all interviews and I end up having to deny your offer because I'm better off staying with my current employer.
2 or 3 stages? i ask in the first interview
bst/free stuff/btc/ether
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7530 posts
775 upvotes
Markham
No, the one I gone through 2-3 interview stages, I already know the pay range.
Aug 22, 2011
11 posts
1 upvote
NORTH YORK
It always seems the companies with the most rigorous interview process pay the least
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
8240 posts
1281 upvotes
you know what i hate,

i get a call about a job offer, they ask me my salary range, i say 70k for example, they say ok and call me in for an interview, during the interview they ask again for the salary range and i say 70k, and they say we are paying 45k for this job.

WHY DID YOU WASTE MY @!#$@!#$! TIME.

this happened to me like 4 years ago, we got a foot of snow that day, was a nasty drive, i was ready to punch the person interviewing me.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1062 posts
309 upvotes
New York City
OP, while I don't disagree with you, rather than being the passive one and wait for the Company to offer/post first, just tell them right away what you expect realistically.

Too many folks complains about what companies should and should not do. Since it is out of our control, let's focus on what we can do instead.