Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
4615 posts
1334 upvotes

Vileda ViROBi Robot Sweeper - Looking for reviews

Hi RFDers...

I had thought about the Roomba robots for a while but always balked at the high price. I saw the Vileda version for only $40 at wal-mart today so picked one up. Before I open it up and use it, I was just wondering if anyone here has had a chance to use one.

http://www.vileda.ca/en/robots/virobi/

I can't find very many reviews and the ones I've found aren't in english!
9 replies
Aug 21, 2011
854 posts
232 upvotes
Appears to be a robotic swiffer instead of a robotic vacume cleaner like the roombas. From the looks of it too you have to buy (or make) these large disk-like cleaning pads which are disposed of after using. No wonder it's $40.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
4615 posts
1334 upvotes
596722 wrote: Appears to be a robotic swiffer instead of a robotic vacume cleaner like the roombas. From the looks of it too you have to buy (or make) these large disk-like cleaning pads which are disposed of after using. No wonder it's $40.
The machine comes with 3 pads and refills are $8 for 20 pads. You may or may not have to change the pad depending on the size of the area and how dirty it is...
Jul 23, 2008
19 posts
1 upvote
Tried it, it's going back. It didn't clean close to the walls, and that's usually what needs cleaning most.
Jun 23, 2009
34 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga
A robot to sweep your floor. Are you serious? Grab a broom or a vacuum. Sorry there's no app for that.
Feb 19, 2011
88 posts
8 upvotes
Kingston
just won one, will let you know, not for carpet, hardwood only, checked out at walmart, the donut style cleaner/dusting sheet,s will just fold if used on carpet, I thought same thing, vileda I won, I thought great, I Roomba style, nope, did research 40$ for a reason, refill,s will be like using Swiffer, only it does it, so load up on shett,s for thing, and not on carpet., hope this help,s.
Feb 19, 2011
88 posts
8 upvotes
Kingston
sorry did a little more research, to prove I am showing this from site ViROBi ROBOT SWEEPER

•Sweeps your floors for you every day so you can enjoy life!
•Excellent for pet hair pickup.
•Saves time! Sweeps even while you are away.
•Goes in hard to reach places.
•Attracts and retains hair, fluffs and the finest dust.
•Easy to change cleaning cloth.
•Ideal for all types of hard floors.
notice above, not for carpet,s google those price,s it ain,t 40$, I really thought I won something worth something, it,s still nice, if you have hardwood, and if Invested, it would not be this, waste of money, and probably batteries.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
1113 posts
19 upvotes
Might be cheaper and more practical to attach swiffer sheets to your soles of slippers.
Jun 1, 2013
1 posts
samkat wrote: Might be cheaper and more practical to attach swiffer sheets to your soles of slippers.
:D

The Virobi works well for dust etc, put for pet hair there is a big problem. The hair gets wedged in the wheel and gear assembly and then the unit goes round and round in circles. I am on my 3rd unit, and this one is going back too and I am not going to get another. We took the wheel assembly apart and the gear shaft and had to remove all the hair that was wedged in there to get the unit working properly again. Too much trouble to do every time you use it. Great concept and good unit, but definately not for Pet Hair!
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1718 posts
285 upvotes
Brampton
Just bought one of these thinking for $40 it would save us some daily swiffering. I think the concept was a good idea but not executed well. I've been using it for about 20 minutes on the main floor of my town house which has hardwood and tile in the kitchen. Here's what I found:

- it cannot detect stair edges!! This is a huge problem for multi-story houses unless you have doors on covering all stairs going down (which I don't). It has fallen down the stairs to y basement and down the stairs to my garage. Although there's only one stair down to my garage door and when it fell, it did a flip an landed the proper way and kept cleaning which I thought was funny, but obviously no legs to climb back up. Lol. So that's the biggest fail and reason I'll be returning this.

- it gets stuck at the smallest of bumps. I have a small angle up where the tile meets the hardwood and sometimes it will get stuck there and kinda spin until I give it a tap. Other times it does make it over the humps. It also gets stuck on air vent covers. They are usually only on the edges of rooms, but when it gets near one, its stuck.

- it seems to kinda get stuck in one area for a long amount of time. Like in my kitchen, when it starts hitting the hair legs it will just stay in that area for a long while.

Overall, it does a good job in picking up dust and small particles of dirt and crumbs, but I think it's more geared towards 1 floor apartments/condos or very open concept houses with little to no obstacles.

For me it doesn't look like a keeper mainly because of the lack of stairs detection.
adamm