VIN Report for different vehicle

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 25th, 2018 4:25 pm
[OP]
Sep 17, 2013
3 posts
Surrey

VIN Report for different vehicle

I am currently trying to to sell my truck online, and it's my first time selling a vehicle.

I am getting some people asking for the vehicle's VIN. I'm not comfortable giving it out, but I wanted to take a screen shot of the VIN report and send it to them without the actual number, when I pull it up, it lists a vehicle same make and model but services done to it are not my truck and in the states. What do I do about this? Would it have affected any of the servicing I received over the years at the dealership that was out of warranty or my insurance?

Thanks!
9 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
24947 posts
11234 upvotes
Ottawa
What are you worried about?
Oct 26, 2007
198 posts
87 upvotes
Are you sure you inputted the VIN correctly? If the report is truly is incorrect contact Carproof and get them to correct.
Dec 12, 2009
41 posts
13 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Where did YOU buy this truck? Maybe go to them and see what's up with the VIN. If they reported it wrong, see if they can correct it. Not much info here OP.

+1 for poster who asked if you inputted the VIN correctly. That's alot of characters...easy to make a mistake.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
1167 posts
848 upvotes
Toronto
Why are you concerned about sending them the VIN?

Any website with listings will have the VIN# as well..
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!
Sep 7, 2007
159 posts
47 upvotes
Woodstock
You most likely transcribed the VIN incorrectly? VINs do not include the letters I (i), O (o), Q (q), U (u) or Z (z), so that they will not be confused with similar looking numbers/letters.

Your license plate number and VIN are visible to anyone looking at the vehicle. Knowing the VIN or plate number lets a prospective buyer check Carfax and get a used vehicle package of its history, which you are supposed to provide anyway when you sell it. It will even tell the buyer if you are the actual owner, or a curbsider flipping the truck for a profit.

But speaking of wrong VINs, I once had a sticker renewal for my Camaro turned down by the license office, claiming it wasn't insured. Turns out my insurance company had switched the VIN with another customer who had a Porsche.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
3018 posts
1721 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Check all your panels and make sure the VIN all match. I'm guessing a VIN might be different if you had a repair and used a different car's parts.

It's also pretty safe to give VIN away, heck I can walk right up to your car and your windshield will show it. What can you really do with a VIN anyways.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9084 posts
7901 upvotes
Oakville
OP, I can walk up to your car and record your VIN and plates. Nobody will trust you if you don't provide them with the VIN to run carfax themselves.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
2536 posts
1379 upvotes
GTA
OP thinks VIN stands for Very Important Number and is trying to protect it.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
13123 posts
1657 upvotes
Providing a VIN in order to find a potential buyer or close a private sale of a vehicle provides a certain amount of transparency and allows the other person to get the history on the vehicle (CarFax or similar service). Not willing to provide a VIN on the vehicle raises all types of warning flags to a buyer and is likely to prevent you and/or make it rather difficult from selling your car/truck.