• Apr 21st, 2011 11:52 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 23, 2009
150 posts
4 upvotes

Vinegar with high (>15%) acetic acid Concentration

Its only April and the weeds growing between my interlock are already driving me NUTS!!
Does anyone know where i can purchase Vinegar with high acetic acid concentration? I have checked at the big box stores and i haven't had any luck finding any available for sale. Any help is appreciated...
21 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
1658 posts
545 upvotes
Kitchener
Bambaataa wrote:
Apr 18th, 2011 7:10 pm
Its only April and the weeds growing between my interlock are already driving me NUTS!!
Does anyone know where i can purchase Vinegar with high acetic acid concentration? I have checked at the big box stores and i haven't had any luck finding any available for sale. Any help is appreciated...

did you check the 'cleaners' section?
[OP]
Sep 23, 2009
150 posts
4 upvotes
7% is the max I have seen on store shelves. Is there a specific store I can purchase a higher concentrate from?
Jul 26, 2010
831 posts
54 upvotes
eastern Ontario
Bambaataa wrote:

I bought 2 jugs last fall , still haven't used. It was called cleaning grade. Allen's brand. Got in a grocery store I think.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
6581 posts
623 upvotes
Alberta
There is a formula online....vinegar, salt and dishwasher liquid soap. Even with house brand vinegar, it packs a punch.

Dave
May 17, 2006
487 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
Bambaataa wrote:
Not sure about % but I picked up a jug at Metro. Might have been on the cleaning aisle.
Nov 8, 2006
410 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
Last year, i bought regular vinegar, added some salt and 2 drops of dish washing detergent. Mix and kill.
Never came back for the whole year. I poured very generously. Cost ~$5 max :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
6581 posts
623 upvotes
Alberta
My mixture killed Hawkweed and the surrounding lawn grass. But after awhile, the Hawkweed came back. Will try to use a higher strength vinegar this summer.

I have read that pickling vinegar is higher strength. If you are in a pinch, it may be worth it to try this.

Dave
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
3956 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
If your interlock driveway would have been install properly they would have used Silica Gel to finish it. Contrary to its name Silica Gel it not a gel but a sand. It is the same thing that is in the "do not eat "packages in the electronic products that you buy. It is used for dryng flowers. Basicly what it does is dry out the seed or root of a plant that tries to grow where it is. Other than that you could try Speelman,s garden cte. They sell industral grade horticultural vingar. It is about $50 for 5 gallons.

Dave
You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something sometime in your life!
May 13, 2009
77 posts
2 upvotes
Rembrandt100 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2011 1:16 am
If your interlock driveway would have been install properly they would have used Silica Gel to finish it. Contrary to its name Silica Gel it not a gel but a sand. It is the same thing that is in the "do not eat "packages in the electronic products that you buy. It is used for dryng flowers. Basicly what it does is dry out the seed or root of a plant that tries to grow where it is. Other than that you could try Speelman,s garden cte. They sell industral grade horticultural vingar. It is about $50 for 5 gallons.

Dave

Silica gel and similar products are laced with poison. They only CONTAIN a poison. They are not made of poison. Over time the rain will dilute the poison, and all you will be left with are the silica beads. Nothing is supposed to grow on limestone screening, but left in a big pile, weeds will eventually grow. Weeds grow on anything... Thats why they are called weeds, and thats why they are annoying. Interlocking driveways are high maintainance.
[OP]
Sep 23, 2009
150 posts
4 upvotes
38racing wrote:
Apr 18th, 2011 11:39 pm
I bought 2 jugs last fall , still haven't used. It was called cleaning grade. Allen's brand. Got in a grocery store I think.

Which grocery store?
× < >