• Feb 16th, 2018 4:46 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 4, 2012
52 posts
5 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH

Vinyl or brick

Is buying a house that is all vinyl and no brick a bad idea? House is 9 years old and well maintained. However it is all vinyl. Should this be a deal breaker?
Please let me know of all pros and cons, thanks!
22 replies
Mar 6, 2017
193 posts
84 upvotes
mum2two wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 5:32 pm
Is buying a house that is all vinyl and no brick a bad idea? House is 9 years old and well maintained. However it is all vinyl. Should this be a deal breaker?
Please let me know of all pros and cons, thanks!
I don't think it matters too much for the most part the brick ones are just veneers especially newer houses. Vinyl you have to maintain more but its still a once in a blue moon thing.

I find GTA is the only place to really put an emphasis on brick for some reason
Oct 27, 2017
84 posts
75 upvotes
Depends. Does the house have a footing for the brick to sit on?
[OP]
Jun 4, 2012
52 posts
5 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
dpacto wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 5:45 pm
I don't think it matters too much for the most part the brick ones are just veneers especially newer houses. Vinyl you have to maintain more but its still a once in a blue moon thing.

I find GTA is the only place to really put an emphasis on brick for some reason
thank you for your response! :)
[OP]
Jun 4, 2012
52 posts
5 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
SKOMO85 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 5:47 pm
Depends. Does the house have a footing for the brick to sit on?
How do we figure that out?
Oct 27, 2017
84 posts
75 upvotes
mum2two wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 5:50 pm
How do we figure that out?
Most likely it won't because the original build came with vinyl im assuming, which doesnt require a footing. Vinyl homes are usually less expensive because it is the cheapest siding of the bunch. To be honest, if the house is vinyl, you can always have it teared down and replaced with stucco on the sides and back, with brick or stone in the front. A $20,000.00 upgrade can bring up the value of the house by atleast double that amount
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2009
1315 posts
1185 upvotes
Oshawa
Walk away. Vinyl is cheap and it looks even cheaper.
Always brick or stone.
[OP]
Jun 4, 2012
52 posts
5 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Makes sense, thanks for your input!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
5697 posts
3904 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
In this market where a buyer has selection I'd opt for a brick house for looks, durability and resale value. Whatever more you pay you will get back down the road.
Nov 4, 2008
591 posts
399 upvotes
GTA
Don't like vinyl siding unless it's on a shed lol Definitely brick and stone is my favorite Thumbs Up Sign
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7728 posts
466 upvotes
Based on what I have seen so far, all houses in nice especially new built neighborhood are brick/stone/stucco, and you will not find any vinyl in there. Personally, I found vinyl looks cheap. Brick/stones should be the way to go for building houses in Canada especially with our extreme weather !

Just a simple question, do you see any custom built house with vinyl ?
Last edited by rdx on Feb 14th, 2018 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7728 posts
466 upvotes
In US especially in west coast, lot of houses are vinyl. When my US friends came visit me in Toronto, they were all surprised seeing our brick/stone houses and said these houses look like castles and asked how they are !
Last edited by rdx on Feb 14th, 2018 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 24, 2010
57 posts
34 upvotes
When we were looking , we specifically looked for all brick exteriors - we also liked the red brick - for us curb appeal was everything. Then we had friends over after we moved in and some made comments on how they love it as ours is brick all the way to the top. So it is definitely desired by many.
However, if you are the only brick house in a neighbourhood that’s all vinyl/siding -I don’t think that will make a difference. They all have to be brick to hold up that value.
Again this could just be us.
I think the old shingles exterior would be the worst though (attached)
Images
  • A567F618-6A1F-4018-9B68-4B5215B463F3.png
Aug 24, 2010
57 posts
34 upvotes
rdx wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 10:28 am
In US especially in west coast, lot of houses are vinyl. When my US friends came visit me in Toronto, they were all surprised seeing our brick/stone houses !
Even in Calgary it’s all vinyl. I don’t know, it just doesn’t look like a house for me.