Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Virgin Mobile

$15 3GB/month + Free Alcatel Tablet

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 5th, 2017 11:14 am
Dec 28, 2016
6 posts
2 upvotes

[Virgin Mobile] $15 3GB/month + Free Alcatel Tablet

I like many others got shot down by BestBuy during their LG G Pad III promotion with Fido. Fortunately, Virgin has the same deal but with a different tablet. The specs are worse, but hey, you get a free tablet with a great plan on a 2-year contract. Ordering through their website didn't work for me so I had to go in store for it. The tablet is on a 2-year agreement, not a payment plan.

The link to the tablet: http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/phones/ph ... Grey//SPT2
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2017
1536 posts
981 upvotes
GTA
Neither the LG Pad 3 or the Samsung tab e virgin equivalent is free. They were both $50 and best buy paid for one of them as a promotion.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2008
2117 posts
1306 upvotes
Toronto
From the last few posts of a previous thread virgin-mobile-virginmobile-10-3gb-table ... 071435/18/ it seems the SIM cannot be used in other devices than the Alcatel tablet. (Or at least cannot be used on non-tablets.) Fido plan does not have such problem.

(I don't have first hand experience, but anyone interested in getting this and use the SIM in a phone should double-check before ordering ...)
Amerifriend threads need to include instructions on how to acquire an amerifriend. :confused:
Dec 28, 2016
6 posts
2 upvotes
ssiu wrote: From the last few posts of a previous thread virgin-mobile-virginmobile-10-3gb-table ... 071435/18/ it seems the SIM cannot be used in other devices than the Alcatel tablet. (Or at least cannot be used on non-tablets.) Fido plan does not have such problem.

(I don't have first hand experience, but anyone interested in getting this and use the SIM in a phone should double-check before ordering ...)
Ah, didn't see that previous thread. As for the compatibility with the SIM, the sales rep I spoke to asked for the IMEI of my phone and it works just fine.
Dec 26, 2012
126 posts
92 upvotes
MadCanadian wrote: Neither the LG Pad 3 or the Samsung tab e virgin equivalent is free. They were both $50 and best buy paid for one of them as a promotion.
The LG didn't cost me a penny other than the data plan at $15 per month. That makes the actual cost of the tablet to me $0, or free. Yes, Fido charged $50 for the tablet but Best Buy paid the $50 cost of the tablet. That still makes it free to me. Best Buy then gave me a $50 gift card on top of the free tablet. How do you figure neither tablet is free?
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2017
1536 posts
981 upvotes
GTA
Zentral wrote: Ah, didn't see that previous thread. As for the compatibility with the SIM, the sales rep I spoke to asked for the IMEI of my phone and it works just fine.
Lucky, I got the Samsung Tab E awhile back and they entered that IMEI in and it was SIM locked since. Can you check your plan details on the Virgin Mobile My Account mobile app, click + Details under plan.
There it will list details such as:
Additional Data -$10/1GB
Tablet Data - 3GB

And the one I want to know if its there for you:
SIM Lock

If that exists then that means your sim is locked to your phone IMEI, which is good and bad in a sense you can use it on your phone, but can't move it anywhere.
I currently have the SIM lock on the tablet and can't have it removed till the end of the contract.
tmkYOW wrote: The LG didn't cost me a penny other than the data plan at $15 per month. That makes the actual cost of the tablet to me $0, or free. Yes, Fido charged $50 for the tablet but Best Buy paid the $50 cost of the tablet. That still makes it free to me. Best Buy then gave me a $50 gift card on top of the free tablet. How do you figure neither tablet is free?
To let people know that the Alcatel tablet is not the direct price matching competition offered by Virgin Mobile against the LG Pad III. $0 to you is $0 upfront, but you're paying a 2 years contract binded for $360 for a tablet they value $150 to you, versus getting a tablet that they value about $330 to you (Hardware for them is cheaper than retail pricing). If you actually want to use the tablet or sell it, Alcatel has trouble beating Chinese tablet specs that you can get for cheaper right now. So lets do some RFD investigation on who's really getting a deal signing up for this specific tablet, versus getting one similar to the basic non-bestbuy Fido promotion.
Sep 3, 2016
21 posts
6 upvotes
I'm using virgin data plan in my iphone4S with fongo. I got the ZTE deal back in 2015 Christmas mistake promo. $10 (100mb) with free ZTE tablet. Bonus 1GB phone addon data for two years. No sim locked to my ZTE tablet.
Dec 26, 2012
126 posts
92 upvotes
MadCanadian wrote:

To let people know that the Alcatel tablet is not the direct price matching competition offered by Virgin Mobile against the LG Pad III. $0 to you is $0 upfront, but you're paying a 2 years contract binded for $360 for a tablet they value $150 to you, versus getting a tablet that they value about $330 to you (Hardware for them is cheaper than retail pricing). If you actually want to use the tablet or sell it, Alcatel has trouble beating Chinese tablet specs that you can get for cheaper right now. So lets do some RFD investigation on who's really getting a deal signing up for this specific tablet, versus getting one similar to the basic non-bestbuy Fido promotion.
But this isn't what you said originally. Data plans or the value of the tablets was not mentioned. It was said the cost of the tablet was $50 so it wasn't free, despite Best Buy paying the $50.

I agree that the value of the tablet to Fido (or Virgin or whomever) is less than the retail value. But who cares if it is worth $150 or less to Fido. I can't buy the Tablet for the same price that Fido can, so the value of the tablet to most of us is the retail value of the tablet.

I also agree that I am bound to 24 months at $15 for data. Yes this is $360. If I took the data plan simply to get the tablet, then you are correct, it wasn't free as i'm paying $360 for a tablet that retails for around $225 and includes a data package that I didn't want or need. However, if I was already looking for a data plan in the $15 month for 3 gig range , then the tablet is free.

I'm not quite correct as I've assumed the price of data will remain constant. It will probably be cheaper next year and I'm locked into a contract. I might end up paying $5 a month too much for my data at some point in time. I could end up paying $50 or $75 more on contract than I would have on month-to-month. But who cares, they gave me a $50 gift card and a tablet, so all in all, a pretty good deal for someone that already wanted a small data package.

A number of people are selling their tablets. Assuming they get $150 for reselling a new tablet, and a $50 card, the $360 contract fee cost them $160 for 24 months of 3 gig of data, less than $7 a month. Can't beat that price.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8976 posts
2827 upvotes
MadCanadian wrote: Lucky, I got the Samsung Tab E awhile back and they entered that IMEI in and it was SIM locked since. Can you check your plan details on the Virgin Mobile My Account mobile app, click + Details under plan.
There it will list details such as:
Additional Data -$10/1GB
Tablet Data - 3GB

And the one I want to know if its there for you:
SIM Lock

If that exists then that means your sim is locked to your phone IMEI, which is good and bad in a sense you can use it on your phone, but can't move it anywhere.
I currently have the SIM lock on the tablet and can't have it removed till the end of the contract.
Sorry, I'm don't seem to understand your situation here.

From what I read, the tablet is locked to Bell, so it will only accept Bell sim cards. As for your SIM Card, I also read if you use it on another device other than the tablet, regardless if you got one from them, or using your own, you will get charged PPU rates.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
1572 posts
1128 upvotes
GTA
EPcjay wrote: Sorry, I'm don't seem to understand your situation here.

From what I read, the tablet is locked to Bell, so it will only accept Bell sim cards. As for your SIM Card, I also read if you use it on another device other than the tablet, regardless if you got one from them, or using your own, you will get charged PPU rates.
Sim Lock means your Sim Card for the tablet plan will not work on any phone or tablet unless they update the IMEI.
F&F
Freedom $32/53gb
Fido $40/75gb + 30gb bonus = 105gb
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
3659 posts
1647 upvotes
Toronto
Sodibinder wrote: I'm using virgin data plan in my iphone4S with fongo. I got the ZTE deal back in 2015 Christmas mistake promo. $10 (100mb) with free ZTE tablet. Bonus 1GB phone addon data for two years. No sim locked to my ZTE tablet.
I think they only do sim lock on the $15/3GB plan, not on their flexible plan.
Zoomer Wireless, Fido Tablet Plan
Carry Tel Internet
Sep 3, 2016
21 posts
6 upvotes
The other thing I've tested. Fido 3GB data plan I'm not able to do call forwarding to ex:(905)000-0000. Whereas Virgin data plan flex I guess allows me to forward calls to any number. But will get charged 1min. If the number is not in service like above you don't get charge and your iPhone never rings with tablet number. Can someone confirm if virgin 3GB plan can do call forwarding?