Computers & Electronics

Virgin Mobile or Fido for home internet?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2018 1:17 pm
[OP]
Oct 17, 2007
72 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto

Virgin Mobile or Fido for home internet?

Hey everyone, we're moving to North York in a few weeks and I'm trying to choosing an ISP for internet service at the new house. We want something relatively fast but don't do gaming or much streaming so doesn't have to be the best.

Two promos that I've been following are Virgin Mobile for $30/month for 12 months for their 50/10 service. No modem rental or installation fees and no contract. This would be for DSL service on the Bell network.

Other option is Fido Cable internet (on Rogers network) for $32.50/month for 12 months - also no rental, free self-installation, etc. 75 Mbps speed (albeit cable, so likely slower at peak times).

We do have a VOIP system and also several 'smart home' items so need solid, reliable connection (low latency, jitter, etc.) and also very good wifi ...

One thing I've seen on these forums is that it's not possible to bridge the VM modem so running your own wifi router/mesh might be tricky ...

Also, I've heard, anecdotally, that VM's customer service on the cell phone side isn't great - anyone have any experience with their home phone customer service?

Any other pros/cons to VM vs. Fido? Thanks in advance for all responses!
8 replies
Oct 2, 2017
7 posts
try the DSL just for a more consistent latency. although i would avoid virgin as you I don't think you can bridge their modems to add your own wifi (which will always be better)

although when there's no node issues or issues in your neighbourhood cable can be just as good
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
1421 posts
613 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If you have or planning on getting IPTV service, just letting you know a lot of people are experiencing nothing but trouble on Fido/Rogers cable. I got Virgin Mobile internet at home and it's been great so far. knock on wood, no issue's and it's been going 6 months strong.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
[OP]
Oct 17, 2007
72 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
rfd108 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 11:11 am
try the DSL just for a more consistent latency. although i would avoid virgin as you I don't think you can bridge their modems to add your own wifi (which will always be better)

although when there's no node issues or issues in your neighbourhood cable can be just as good
Thanks for the suggestion!

From a bit of research in other forums, seems as though some people may have figured out how to run the modems in bridge mode (same as Bell homehub 2000/3000, looks like)? Do you have any alternative ISPs with better modems (that can be more easily bridged)??
[OP]
Oct 17, 2007
72 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
lamboman wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 11:36 am
If you have or planning on getting IPTV service, just letting you know a lot of people are experiencing nothing but trouble on Fido/Rogers cable. I got Virgin Mobile internet at home and it's been great so far. knock on wood, no issue's and it's been going 6 months strong.
Thanks! Appreciate the feedback Do you use your own router for wifi or just the Virgin modem/router? If so, how's the wifi signal throughout your house?

No IPTV; just internet ...
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
1421 posts
613 upvotes
Toronto, ON
movingout wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 3:07 pm
Thanks! Appreciate the feedback Do you use your own router for wifi or just the Virgin modem/router? If so, how's the wifi signal throughout your house?

No IPTV; just internet ...
You won't be able to use a 3rd party router with Virgin Mobile's modem because it's same like Bell no bridging allowed. But overall I'm very happy with the performance and throughput of the wireless, reaches as far as my front porch or backyard deck.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Apr 4, 2012
208 posts
94 upvotes
Laval, Que
I'm also on Virgin FTTH but my Netgear R7000 is in "bridge" with the Valerie modem. Though there us no "Bridge" button to enable on the Valerie modem, you can turn off the DHCP, Wireless and delete the username from the Valerie Modem which pretty much but the Valerie modem in bridge mode.
lamboman wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 7:00 am
You won't be able to use a 3rd party router with Virgin Mobile's modem because it's same like Bell no bridging allowed. But overall I'm very happy with the performance and throughput of the wireless, reaches as far as my front porch or backyard deck.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
3179 posts
1002 upvotes
Global Village
I am currently on the Fido $32.50 cable plan and love it, stable, getting consistently faster speeds than 75mbps, highly recommended.
All day I dream about sports
Mar 10, 2018
935 posts
44 upvotes
movingout wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 9:38 am
Hey everyone, we're moving to North York in a few weeks and I'm trying to choosing an ISP for internet service at the new house. We want something relatively fast but don't do gaming or much streaming so doesn't have to be the best.

that area is good for Rogers/Fido and Bell. From my experience I would stick with Fido.
You guys seem trapped by the confines of your own ideologies.