• Dec 12th, 2017 10:58 pm
Jul 26, 2011
86 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
lightmeup wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 11:51 am
When you have your virgin installed, pls try:
1. run a continuous ping for at least 1 hour to google.com, cnn.com and see if you have any packet lost. --> I think Steve modem is not that stable like the Hub1000/2000/or 3000 from Bell.
2. run speedtest at 9PM, 10 PM, 11PM and see if you are getting 25Mb/s or 10 or 5... --> during the day, speed is good at 25 all the time, at night, it goes down to 5, or 10 sometimes. when i was with Bell, it was 25 all the time..
I had similar issue where speeds used to drop to under 5mbps between 7pm and 10pm. I called virgin and they sent in a technician. The guy found that splitter (he told me some name, I dont recollect) which splits the phone signal and internal signal was missing; this should have been installed by the guy who came to setup my internet. He put that thing, and since then I have not observed any speed drops. If anybody faces speed drops, worth getting it checked...atleast it looks to have fixed the issue I had and internet has since been rock solid at around 25mbps all the time.
Jul 21, 2011
314 posts
166 upvotes
EAST YORK
Master2312 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 5:52 pm
I had similar issue where speeds used to drop to under 5mbps between 7pm and 10pm. I called virgin and they sent in a technician. The guy found that splitter (he told me some name, I dont recollect) which splits the phone signal and internal signal was missing; this should have been installed by the guy who came to setup my internet. He put that thing, and since then I have not observed any speed drops. If anybody faces speed drops, worth getting it checked...atleast it looks to have fixed the issue I had and internet has since been rock solid at around 25mbps all the time.
The bell guy did install the splitter...

Anyway, I guess this is what we get for 50$ a month :).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
7768 posts
1234 upvotes
London
Same price as Start but with free modem and installation, Looks like this deal is trying to take customers away from Start, Teksavvy etc.
Mar 4, 2017
25 posts
45 upvotes
Good price but I've personally had a terrible experience with Bell internet stability and their billing/pricing habits. Since this is Virgin, hopefully they're better on the customer support and billing but not sure if it's the same old Internet service...

Rogers has been pretty shoddy the last couple of days but over all, I've had better speeds and reliability with Rogers (even though I still hate them)
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2012
2504 posts
1792 upvotes
Toronto
Switched to this, really good hassle free deal.
Mar 8, 2012
336 posts
41 upvotes
Montreal
Nexzen wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 12:50 am
Switched to this, really good hassle free deal.
Do you have a line with Virgin mobile? Wondering if we need to be client with Virgin
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2012
2504 posts
1792 upvotes
Toronto
akinos1 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 1:08 am
Do you have a line with Virgin mobile? Wondering if we need to be client with Virgin
Nope, available to everyone.
Sep 23, 2010
972 posts
164 upvotes
Can anyone confirm if port 25 is open with virgin mobile? Both Outbound and inbound.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4656 posts
841 upvotes
Markham
lightmeup wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2017 12:13 pm
I switched from bell to virginmobile internet, i never had issue on bell network, but now i am getting a lot of packet lost, bell tech has been here twice now. Same line, same infra, one works one doesnt, i just donno, maybe i need to move back to bell?
Were you on Bell FIBE internet? Considering moving if I don't get anywhere in my negotiations with Bell FIBE service.
If you were on Bell FIBE what about TV...anyone on Bell FIBE TV switch to Virgin and at the same time keep Bell FIBE TV with Virgin FIBE internet?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1297 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto
joshua18 wrote:
Mar 12th, 2017 9:39 am
They called to confirm installation 48 hours before. I told them that I'm hesitant because of a 100$ bill credit available elsewhere (not true, just made it up)...They matched it.
thanks for info

Im trying to talk to somebody at their sales dept and cant even reach them .... all their options are for their mobile phones and no options to talk to a sales rep to get the 100$ sign-up credit for internet

If any of the sales rep at Virgin is reading this, can offer the 100$ credit and want an easy sale, call/pm me lol
Mar 13, 2017
9 posts
3 upvotes
Mount Royal
Anyone has an option about Virgin Mobile VS Fido on home internet?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
7768 posts
1234 upvotes
London
amandarad wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 12:40 pm
Anyone has an option about Virgin Mobile VS Fido on home internet?
Virgin is FTTN and Fido is Cable. Both should be fine because their parent company is either Bell or Rogers.
Mar 13, 2017
9 posts
3 upvotes
Mount Royal
apvm wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 2:03 pm
Virgin is FTTN and Fido is Cable. Both should be fine because their parent company is either Bell or Rogers.
Thanks.
The two mobile service providers enter into the home interent field this year.