Hot Deals

[Virgin Mobile] HOT!!! Unlimited home Internet for $50

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 9:45 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2003
3076 posts
580 upvotes
If this is anything like Bell be prepared for billing issues and price increases during the term. As to the network, EVERYONE distributing via cable/DSL uses Bell/Rogers/Videotron/Cogeco/Shaw.

$50/month for 25/10 unlimited is a buck more than Acanac, also no charge installation, though you need to provide your own modem or buy one from them. On the other hand they offer a free month of service is you prepay for the year making the net cost $44.91 plus tax . . . . . .

And, there's Acanac's referral program to consider too.
Jan 3, 2013
104 posts
23 upvotes
NORTH YORK
This is hot, do not compare this with Star, cary, This is Bell. like Fido to Rogers.
dont compare speed with rogers, This is Fibe.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
6999 posts
953 upvotes
London
x2012t wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 2:42 pm
This is hot, do not compare this with Star, cary, This is Bell. like Fido to Rogers.
+1, you can't compare this with cheaper ISP like Cannet/CIK or Carrytel etc. This is more like Teksavvy/Start/EB level and should be more stable too. Very good deal especially with 1 month free as well.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1105 posts
68 upvotes
lightmeup wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 11:51 am
When you have your virgin installed, pls try:
1. run a continuous ping for at least 1 hour to google.com, cnn.com and see if you have any packet lost. --> I think Steve modem is not that stable like the Hub1000/2000/or 3000 from Bell.
2. run speedtest at 9PM, 10 PM, 11PM and see if you are getting 25Mb/s or 10 or 5... --> during the day, speed is good at 25 all the time, at night, it goes down to 5, or 10 sometimes. when i was with Bell, it was 25 all the time..
that steve modem is actually the bell hub 2000 modem

probably your issue is you had FTTH with Bell and with Virgin it is FTTN so different last mile infrastructure/wire getting inside your house

I would first phone their tech support see if they can resolve it before going back to bell FTTH.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1105 posts
68 upvotes
x2012t wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 2:42 pm
warm not hot.

it is not Fibe FTTH .. its Fibe FTTN so same as with all the other 3rd party providers.

It is warm because its the same price and no contract as 25/10 from teck or start but you get free install and modem + free first month.

but add the 100$ credit that some got, it becomes hot.
Apr 7, 2011
641 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
It looks like there is no way to check your internet usage.
Nothing on the website and nothing on the router.

Anyone have any ideas?
How will you know you go over besides you taking their word on it when you get the bill.

(I'm not on the unlimited plan. I'm on the 200GB plan)
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
2445 posts
424 upvotes
Why is this in hot deals? Not hot. Not a deal. Regular overpriced lower data cap than competitors. Punt this to discussion!
na na na na na na na na na NA.
Apr 7, 2011
641 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
lorax1284 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 8:27 pm
Why is this in hot deals? Not hot. Not a deal. Regular overpriced lower data cap than competitors. Punt this to discussion!
It's a pretty good deal IMO. I was paying $70 with bell for same speed but with 100GB bandwidth. Even after $17 discount from the loyalty department, it ended up being $53.
Now I'm paying $45 for the 200GB plan with Virgin mobile and I don't have to keep calling back to beg for a loyalty discount.

No, it's not cheaper than Teksavvy, but I don't need my own modem. Plus it's essentially the same company as bell, so service is probably going to be only second to Bell.
Apr 7, 2011
641 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
ronmauldin wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 9:24 pm
Is it only for Virgin mobile users? or can others get it?
Anyone can get this.
Not a bundle or anything

I just switched from Bell.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4168 posts
644 upvotes
Markham
If this is the same as Bell FIBE, then the issues to watch for that are not known right now are:

even though you have unlimited, do they throttle after a certain amount of usage? Virgin may say they don't but Bell in the background may do so...unless you know what Virgin's contract is with Bell as a reseller you can't tell.

support - as you are using a reseller, Bell does support but they put you at the bottom of the barrel and if you call Virgin support for bad /clogged internet, they blame Bell. Had this issue when I switched from Rogers to Teksavvy many years ago.

If you're on Bell FIBE now, unless you're going to be saving a lot vs negotiated Bell price, I'd probably stay where I'm at as I know my internet has been absolutely rock solid since I switched to Bell FIBE internet. I did have to buy my own router though as I found the wifi with the HomeHub to be spotty.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Aug 4, 2006
142 posts
28 upvotes
GTA - Gwill
No all areas serviced by BELL have Fibre. I'm in an area where the top speed is 5Mb.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2005
2085 posts
401 upvotes
2flags wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 2:20 pm
No all areas serviced by BELL have Fibre. I'm in an area where the top speed is 5Mb.
not only that. if you have FTTH, you can't get this. At least that's what they told me.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel