[Virgin Mobile] HOT!!! Unlimited home Internet for $50

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 16th, 2017 9:49 am
Nov 1, 2013
3 posts
1 upvote
London
Been using this service for a bit of time - switched from Bell FTTH:

Virgin Home Internet is FTTN service, not FTTH. Even both FTTN and FTTH is available at your location, it will use FTTN anyway - this happened to me. I have heard if your address has FTTH only, you cannot install Virgin.

Once you are on the internet, your IP is gonna be Bell Canada IP address, sometimes the IP appears to be owned by Virgin Mobile Canada. But IP address range is the same as Bell Canada. This means you are on a Tier 1 network. Even other service provider may have cheaper price, their backbone network gateway may impact your internet experience. For me, I don't notice any difference between Bell Canada and Virgin Mobile Canada in terms of network experience.

Multiple speed test results that almost at all time it is 25/10. Only once I got 14/10, called Tech Support (Bell agent picked up the call), was instructed to reboot the modem Steve (re-branded refurbished Home Hub 2000 from Bell, certain feature been disabled such as IPTV etc) and it went back to the expected speed.

So far my experience was good with Virgin. I am happy that I made this switch. Although I miss my FTTH service, at lease I don't need to beg Bell Loyalty anymore!
Last edited by szzhangyp on Mar 15th, 2017 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Mar 9, 2017
138 posts
16 upvotes
apvm wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 1:32 pm
Looks like for area that serves by Bell.
Thank you! I'm with CanNet right now and I'm reading some bad things haha So I'm exploring around a bit
Oct 19, 2013
111 posts
9 upvotes
szzhangyp wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 3:13 pm
Been using this service for a bit of time - switched from Bell FTTH:

Virgin Home Internet is FTTN service, not FTTH. Even both FTTN and FTTH is available at your location, it will use FTTN anyway - this happened to me. I have heard if your address has FTTH only, you cannot install Virgin.

Once you are on the internet, your IP is gonna be Bell Canada IP address, sometimes the IP appears to be owned by Virgin Mobile Canada. But IP address range is the same as Bell Canada. This means you are on a Tier 1 network. Even other service provider may have cheaper price, their backbone network gateway may impact your internet experience. For me, I don't notice any difference between Bell Canada and Virgin Mobile Canada in terms of network experience.

Multiple speed test results that almost at all time it is 25/10. Only once I got 14/10, called Tech Support (Bell agent picked up the call), was instructed to reboot the modem Steve (re-branded refurbished Home Hub 2000 from Bell, certain feature been disabled such as IPTV etc) and it went back to the expected speed.

If you want someone from Bell Canada agent answer the call and provide technical support for Virgin Home Internet, please call 1-866-517-9113. Virgin cs agent gave me this number.

So far my experience was good with Virgin. I am happy that I made this switch. Although I miss my FTTH service, at lease I don't need to beg Bell Loyalty anymore!
I get consistent 25/10 as well. It went to 6M down once but all I did was reboot Steve and everything was back to normal. Only needed to do this once and had the service for 3m
Jan 18, 2016
141 posts
70 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Switched from Bell to Virgin. No difference...same Hub 2000 installed with 25/10 speed. Price (incl. tax) dropped from $79.1 to $56.5 (+1 month free).
But please keep in mind though it is Virgin it still Bell in the backend so its time thats going to say whether the price/bill would fluctuate similar to Bell.
Nov 1, 2013
3 posts
1 upvote
London
souvik126 wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 4:49 pm
Switched from Bell to Virgin. No difference...same Hub 2000 installed with 25/10 speed. Price (incl. tax) dropped from $79.1 to $56.5 (+1 month free).
But please keep in mind though it is Virgin it still Bell in the backend so its time thats going to say whether the price/bill would fluctuate similar to Bell.
I guess if fido does price fluctuation, virgin will follow. But I have a strong feel that fido won't do this.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
7173 posts
1047 upvotes
London
JackDaniels905 wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 3:47 pm
Thank you! I'm with CanNet right now and I'm reading some bad things haha So I'm exploring around a bit
Well this is a good deal, unlimited, free modem, free installation, 1st month free and no contract.
Banned
Mar 9, 2017
138 posts
16 upvotes
apvm wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 5:45 pm
Well this is a good deal, unlimited, free modem, free installation, 1st month free and no contract.
Yea and its a name I at least recognize too
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2012
2030 posts
1136 upvotes
Toronto
Just got this installed, super hassle free and the modem alone is worth it. Has very good range everywhere around the house, better than my old bell fibe modem.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
7173 posts
1047 upvotes
London
Nexzen wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 2:10 pm
Just got this installed, super hassle free and the modem alone is worth it. Has very good range everywhere around the house, better than my old bell fibe modem.
When I had the HH2000, 2.4ghz is ok but there are a few spots in my house that I can't get 5ghz AC signal.
May 17, 2006
299 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
I'm currently using Rogers ($45 for 200gb / 35Mbps / no modem fee / no contract / price protected until 2021). I have no cable and so I stream everything. I'm getting awfully close to hitting my caps every month so I'm shopping around. I'm just concerned about the drop in speed with this deal. Anyone have any issues in the downtown core with Virgin?
Apr 14, 2017
1 posts
Question. I signed up for this thinking it was fibre internet but is it actually copper? I asked Virgin a couple times and they seem to dance around the question some say it is fibre and some say it is copper. Some say it is both which I think is impossible.

Hope it is better than Primus. I was getting ripped off for years $57 for unlimited and only 4mbps download speed.
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
13651 posts
2228 upvotes
Toronto
25 Mbps is super super slow. Unlimited is pretty much useless with that speed. Ice cold deal. Rogers has better retention deals and promotions for new customers.
Jun 10, 2016
26 posts
5 upvotes
Mississauga
Switched from Robbers to Fido 5 months back. Unlimited 60Mbps for $60 per month + 3 months free. This takes the monthly rate down to $45 per month. Getting 100Mbps speeds, streaming Kodi 1080p content without any lags whatsoever...
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel