• Last Updated:
  • Apr 2nd, 2013 5:29 am
[OP]
May 20, 2009
4 posts
Toronto

Virgin Mobile Retention

Hi guys,

I noticed the Retention threads for Rogers and Fido, but the responses/information for Virgin Mobile and other small carriers seem pretty limited. I tried applying the concepts of rn's holy grail of retention thread's to try to get a better deal out of VM with no success.

1. Is there a way to squeeze a better deal out of VM? Has anybody had success with VM or any non-Rogers/Fido carrier?

Here's what I'm getting:
  • 100 daytime minutes
  • Unlimited evenings (7pm-8am) and weekends
  • Unlimited text
  • Call Display, Call Waiting, Voicemail
  • $25/month for one year (There are no other fees, so it comes to $28.25 after everything)
She'll throw in free internet (which I find useless, given the limitations of my handset) if I renew for one more year

2. Thoughts? Is there a better option out there?

Thanks.
85 replies
Apr 21, 2006
685 posts
24 upvotes
Scarborough
not for what youre getting.

I would take the mobile browsing. What phone do you have? If you have one running on EVDO you could get a pretty fast connection, I watched youtube videos and did my emailing from my handset when i had free internet. It was pretty useful.
And then God said, "John, come forth, and receive eternal life..." But John came fifth, and got a toaster. :D
Feb 27, 2003
390 posts
119 upvotes
Langley
a2yang wrote:
May 22nd, 2009 12:45 am
Is there a way to squeeze a better deal out of VM? Has anybody had success with VM or any non-Rogers/Fido carrier?[/B][/I]
Realize that Bell has actually purchased VM, so not only are they just the carrier of VM's calls, they actually own Virgin Mobile Canada now.. not sure if it makes a difference, but I'm really starting to hate Bell..
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2009
3121 posts
1044 upvotes
Ajax
wow this is such a hot deal, where can I get this deal?

btw, post it in the proper category
Jul 15, 2006
26 posts
1 upvote
I wouldn't be signing any long term contracts right now, as new carriers should be entering the Canadian market towards the end of 2009-early 2010. (Remember the spectrum auction last year) I recall reading an article in the Toronto Star about one company that plans on having $40 unlimited everything plans w/ no contracts, so try holding out. At any rate, the competion will be welcome. Until then, we are stuck with terrible carriers with garbage pricing schemes.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
1052 posts
49 upvotes
Quebec
Unlimited browsing from virgin sucks, last time we got it on our test phone we couldn't access pages outside of their portal. More like unlimited intranet browsing....
Best deals I got thanks to RFD:
Sony 60" SXRD RPTV with Stand 1749$ :arrowl: :razz:
[OP]
May 20, 2009
4 posts
Toronto
lebanesekid wrote:
May 22nd, 2009 1:07 am
not for what youre getting.

I would take the mobile browsing. What phone do you have? If you have one running on EVDO you could get a pretty fast connection, I watched youtube videos and did my emailing from my handset when i had free internet. It was pretty useful.
I'm not sure of the exact model, but it's a Samsung which is pretty slow (not all Samsungs, just the model they gave me), when connecting to internet (when I initially started I got 3 months free internet as a trial). But I agree with you, if the phone was good, then I would welcome the added internet.

Bigups to 6millions when he wrote "more like intranet"... so true.
[OP]
May 20, 2009
4 posts
Toronto
nellium wrote:
May 22nd, 2009 4:59 am
wow this is such a hot deal, where can I get this deal?

btw, post it in the proper category
1. This deal was a "special" promotion that ended in the middle of the summer '08. VM has a similar one on their website, but without all the unlimited stuff, which sucks. I went to a Wireless Wave kiosk and they suggested that deal as the best available at the time.

2. My bad. I'm having difficulty adjusting to classifying and searching with RedFlagDeals. I'll do better next time. Thanks for your patience.
Jul 7, 2004
134 posts
2 upvotes
I'm on Virgin right now. Does anybody has new Virgin retention plan from 2010?
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
3845 posts
334 upvotes
Barrys Bay
net_essential wrote:
Mar 5th, 2010 7:41 pm
I'm on Virgin right now. Does anybody has new Virgin retention plan from 2010?
Pretty much BELL corperate now.

Called in last week, had better deal from rogers and they wouldn't budge( dropped $20 month was best ). Ask for some type retention 3 years strong with over 100 monthly average. and nothing.

Called back later in day gave 30 day notice to cancel service ( remember we pay month advance ).

Next day my line wasn't active, then received last months invoice same day ( not even on my billing cycle date ).

Lost my phone number, can't port now. Called to complain and now stuck without my cell number, cancelled service before date, and still VIRGIN will not do anything says need to talk to people and will call back in 1 hour and still no response 8 business days later.

VIRGIN RETENTIONS = BELL = HELL.

Better service is using tin cans with string in my area.

Better bsuiness Bureau contacted.
Feb 4, 2007
931 posts
7 upvotes
a2yang wrote:
May 22nd, 2009 12:45 am
Hi guys,

I noticed the Retention threads for Rogers and Fido, but the responses/information for Virgin Mobile and other small carriers seem pretty limited. I tried applying the concepts of rn's holy grail of retention thread's to try to get a better deal out of VM with no success.

1. Is there a way to squeeze a better deal out of VM? Has anybody had success with VM or any non-Rogers/Fido carrier?

Here's what I'm getting:
  • 100 daytime minutes
  • Unlimited evenings (7pm-8am) and weekends
  • Unlimited text
  • Call Display, Call Waiting, Voicemail
  • $25/month for one year (There are no other fees, so it comes to $28.25 after everything)
She'll throw in free internet (which I find useless, given the limitations of my handset) if I renew for one more year

2. Thoughts? Is there a better option out there?

Thanks.
I have the same deal grandfathered for a year now after contract finished May/09. I'm now negotiating with them for a Blackberry deal. With no contract now, I told them that I am shopping around for a better deal. Loyalty will call me within 48 hours. So far, they are only offering 50% off for first 3 months and then $5 discount each month thereafter with the same voice plan. I will have to get a data plan and sign a 3-year contract. I said I'll wait until loyalty calls me.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2003
1710 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Has anyone tried Virgin retention with a data plan?
Feedback Rating: 121 ratings - 100% positive [ Heatware | eBay | RFD BST ]
[OP]
May 20, 2009
4 posts
Toronto
Trooper8111 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2010 5:57 pm
I have the same deal grandfathered for a year now after contract finished May/09. I'm now negotiating with them for a Blackberry deal. With no contract now, I told them that I am shopping around for a better deal. Loyalty will call me within 48 hours. So far, they are only offering 50% off for first 3 months and then $5 discount each month thereafter with the same voice plan. I will have to get a data plan and sign a 3-year contract. I said I'll wait until loyalty calls me.
I hope it works out for you, man. Please let me/us know how it goes.
Is the $5 discount off your current (grandfathered) $25 plan or would it be off a potential Blackberry plan?
Well, he's kind of had it in for me ever since I accidentally ran over his dog. Actually, replace "accidentally" with "repeatedly," and replace "dog" with "son."
Apr 17, 2009
421 posts
25 upvotes
Do I have a chance to get retentions if I'm a prepaid customer since 2007?
I'm ready to sign for 3 years!
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2003
1710 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
I doubt they'll consider prepaid tenure at all, unfortunately.
Feedback Rating: 121 ratings - 100% positive [ Heatware | eBay | RFD BST ]
× < >