• Last Updated:
  • Apr 21st, 2018 10:32 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2004
1849 posts
70 upvotes

Virgin Mobile Thunder Bay Plan

I accidently entered the wrong password and my BB Z10 began wiping the phone. I removed the battery to prevent this from happening and now it's bricked so I need a new phone.

What are my options as I have had this phone and plan for five years?

1. Go in and try to get a new phone and try to stay on the plan?
2. Buy another phone with that takes a Micro Sim--would this work automatically?
3. Buy a nano sim and buy a more modern phone - would this be possible if I wanted to stay in the plan?
4. Leave this plan assuming there are better deals.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2008
1364 posts
130 upvotes
Just buy a new phone and you alway can cut your micro sim to nano size, no need a new sim.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2004
1849 posts
70 upvotes
would Virgin mobile let me use a phone taking nano size and retain the TB plan?
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2008
1364 posts
130 upvotes
Yes, if it’s a unlocked phone.
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
12256 posts
8885 upvotes
:-)
@CDNPatriot you can do the following without a rate plan change in order to retain your Thunder Bay plan:
  • insert your sim into a different device, put it back into the previous device, put it in a friend's device, etc.
  • carve your sim to a smaller size, put your sim into an adapter to fit in an older phone
  • buy a Virgin sim and have your service transferred to the new sim
  • churn a phone on a burner number unrelated to your service, can be same or separate account, same or different carrier

Enjoy.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home. Hackers keep changing my location to Leask.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
20633 posts
2042 upvotes
Toronto
Will try and help answer some of your questions - I still have a VM TBay plan that my father is using .....plan is still so awesome in this day and age
CDNPatriot wrote: 1. Go in and try to get a new phone and try to stay on the plan?
ANS: Not possible to get a new phone and stay on the plan. The VM TBay plan is no longer available and VM will force you to a new "in-market" plan so definitely don't go this route
CDNPatriot wrote: 2. Buy another phone with that takes a Micro Sim--would this work automatically?
ANS: This will work - if your replacement takes a Micro-sim then you don't need to change anything. Ideally if you could back up your phone and restore stuff but sounds like this isn't possible with the wiped Z10
CDNPatriot wrote: 3. Buy a nano sim and buy a more modern phone - would this be possible if I wanted to stay in the plan?
ANS: Yup, if you are set up online to use VM - you can do the sim switch yourself provided you have a new nano-sim. Can't remember the exact settings where this is but you can switch sim cards online using VM's webpage. I'd recommend this route since most phones today take nano-sims. Don't cut the micro sim down to nano size. The thickness is different and even the best cutters leave it a bit rough on the edges. Worst thing you want to do is rip out a pin in your smartphone due to a cutdown sized sim card. I've been there and done that. Expensive lesson.
CDNPatriot wrote: 4. Leave this plan assuming there are better deals.
ANS: You could leave this plan - depends on your usage and needs. There are $40 4GB plans offered by Koodo and Rogers (specific migration plans for prepaid but doable to get). I still find the VM TBay plan is awesome - the money I save I just buy phones outright...

Gluck!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2013
5001 posts
1097 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
CDNPatriot wrote: I accidently entered the wrong password and my BB Z10 began wiping the phone. I removed the battery to prevent this from happening and now it's bricked so I need a new phone.

What are my options as I have had this phone and plan for five years?

1. Go in and try to get a new phone and try to stay on the plan?
2. Buy another phone with that takes a Micro Sim--would this work automatically?
3. Buy a nano sim and buy a more modern phone - would this be possible if I wanted to stay in the plan?
4. Leave this plan assuming there are better deals.
If you want a new phone trying call virginmobile first check what they will offer, that's what I did last year when I dump my Thunder Bay Plan. VirginMobile offer me a $62 plan 4gb as my usage for data is below 4gb, on top of that got bill credits and $10 off for 24 months and free LG G6 for 2yrs. So total I'm paying right now is $45.2 tax in overall I'm happy what they offer let's see what will happen after my contract.

Freedom Mobile