• Jul 5th, 2018 11:54 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
3251 posts
844 upvotes
QC
softech wrote:
May 24th, 2018 3:39 pm
is Virgin a Fibe plan too? why Bell Fibe plan can do both upload and download the same speed but not Virgin's plan?

thanks
bwalke33 wrote:
May 26th, 2018 9:12 pm
They are equal on FTTN. FTTH Virgin intentionally throttles to FTTN speeds for parity and to entice you to Bell.
Cause Virgin is hiding their service as VDSL. CRTC asked for Bell to give their service to wholeseller but Bell don't want to. As soon as the CRTC force Bell to give their service to 3rd party, upload speed will go up.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2016/09/20/crtc ... -internet/
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/crtc- ... -1.3350885
Jan 26, 2018
256 posts
115 upvotes
just chat and sign up with them @ $50 per month for 50/10 for 24 months,
I confirmed with CSR there is no contract, and I didn't really push for the 1 month free
I'd rather have my options open in case their connection is not as good as I thought or there are other options come up in the future.

CSR told me the modem will be a Valérie! , good thing? bad thing?
I use pfsense behind my modem, any specific config on the modem I should be aware of or ask tech to do when he install the line?
thanks
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
1090 posts
69 upvotes
sorry.. need further details:

1. can VPN / DMZ / port forwarding be setup with Virgin modem?

2. Look like Virgin provide Valerie or Steve modem ... can I choose? the reason i choose is just I need something that can setup VPN/DMZ/port forward.. whatever kind works

3. I am current on Bell FIBE.. i live in a house.. what I got is that a UPS and a small box installed in the basement.. then a line (network cable) run up to my room and connect to my Bell Homehub 2000.. is Virgin the same setup?

4. If i want to test out Virgin first before cancelling Bell.. can I? Can Bell Fibe and virgin co-exist?

thanks
Nov 16, 2005
208 posts
1 upvote
My friend has VG installed with Steve, based on what I get , there are few concerns.
1) speed test is always good with its own modems test but when doing it at speedtest.net, it was not good.
2) upload speed is extreamly low, never above 3Mbps. Latency is way higher 40+, way higher than the real Bells.
3) my 'feeling' is the paired lines bonding does Not really reflect s what actual throughput it suppose to be. Its like 45Mbps is just not as fast as a 30Mbps~...
Well it does not sounded good for me...Will wait and see.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
1090 posts
69 upvotes
nice4 wrote:
Jun 1st, 2018 7:00 pm
My friend has VG installed with Steve, based on what I get , there are few concerns.
1) speed test is always good with its own modems test but when doing it at speedtest.net, it was not good.
2) upload speed is extreamly low, never above 3Mbps. Latency is way higher 40+, way higher than the real Bells.
3) my 'feeling' is the paired lines bonding does Not really reflect s what actual throughput it suppose to be. Its like 45Mbps is just not as fast as a 30Mbps~...
Well it does not sounded good for me...Will wait and see.
which area you are at? you had FIBE before??
Nov 16, 2005
208 posts
1 upvote
My friend is at McCowan and Finch area. I was actually at his place when his doing his test. I am using Cable and I am sure it is much better at my place. Lines pairing (via load balance) seemed like more a fake UNLESS both lines are at same performance/distance to their Hub. The reality is Bell just using whatever line that is available, if distance between two lines are not the same, then the pairing might make thing even worst than a single line.
Oct 20, 2013
787 posts
207 upvotes
Chambly, QC
I have signed for 50/10 ftth 50$/month for 24 months

They also proposed me 25/10 for 40$ 24 months
Mar 9, 2014
6 posts
20 upvotes
Whitchurch-Stouffvil…
I also signed up this deal on March 50/10 for $50,
thats what they offered me after hearing Roger was trying to keep me stay with them.
Thats why I switched to Virgin.
But recently when I called back to virgin, every agent are trying to deny what they offered me which is ridiculous.
"50mbps for $50? never heard of it." thats what they told me.
Cancelled right away. so Pissed!!!
Sep 29, 2014
9 posts
Toronto, ON
a tech is coming by today to set it up. how long does it take for the installation? to get everything up and running?
Jan 26, 2018
256 posts
115 upvotes
Kyleol wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2018 12:47 pm
I also signed up this deal on March 50/10 for $50,
thats what they offered me after hearing Roger was trying to keep me stay with them.
Thats why I switched to Virgin.
But recently when I called back to virgin, every agent are trying to deny what they offered me which is ridiculous.
"50mbps for $50? never heard of it." thats what they told me.
Cancelled right away. so Pissed!!!
that doesn't make sense, how they can deny it when you have an order confirmation email clearly stated that
Home Internet promo - 24 mo. CR $10.00
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my scheduled installation is tomorrow morning, so once it's done I'll report back.
I will keep my existing teksavvy 30/10 cable for 1 or 2 weeks just in case virgin sucks in my region.
Jan 26, 2018
256 posts
115 upvotes
OK, Just got my internet installed
it's FTTH, they spend about 2 hours to run the fibe cable and about an hour to work inside.

the first valerie modem is a lemon, doesn't work and they changed another one
seems not all valerie modems are refurbished to the same quality :( (yes, all virgin modems are refurbished)

now I am downloading via wifi @ 6.5M - 7M, I put my modem at the corner of my basement and 1 floor above I get full speed of 50/10, but 2 floors above only get about 30/7
the ping time is 8 ms via speedtest

I asked the tech for user name and password, so I will use that in pfsense to make a PPPoE connection.
I just wonder do I have to turn off the wifi on valerie when making PPPoE connection via router/pfsense?
May 22, 2004
525 posts
68 upvotes
Montreal
keshan wrote:
Jun 4th, 2018 3:26 pm
it's FTTH, they spend about 2 hours to run the fibe cable and about an hour to work inside.
Can you please take a photo of the back of the modem showing the fibre connection? I'm reading conflicting reports about whether they are provisioning this service over FTTH with the "Valerie" modem, or only FTTN.
Jan 26, 2018
256 posts
115 upvotes
orakle22 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2018 11:22 am
Can you please take a photo of the back of the modem showing the fibre connection? I'm reading conflicting reports about whether they are provisioning this service over FTTH with the "Valerie" modem, or only FTTN.
There you go, FTTH or FTTN, I believe it's where technology permits. Bell started to promo their Fibe service about 2 years ago in my neighborhood, so I guess that's when their infrastructure was built.
Images
  • IMG_20180619_164716.jpg
  • IMG_20180619_164806.jpg
Sep 25, 2006
26 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I've got a strange problem where one of my apps won't work because it thinks the wifi signal from my Valerie modem is from a hotspot. Can anyone tell me if there is a modem setting that can be changed to fix this? Thanks.