Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Virgin Mobile

Virgin mobile BYOP plans (Alberta only)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2017 7:11 pm
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
How are these hot? At best they suck.
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
flyingnurse wrote: I have a virgin BYOD plan, $45/month for unlimited calling, voicemail, and 4 gb data.

Beat that!
$49/8GB, unlimited canada wide calling.

4GB is ok, as long as you can live with the constant overage charges.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
2218 posts
1282 upvotes
Brampton, ON
People quoting Public Mobile...it is only province wide so no it is not better. Also, you do not get the virgin mobile perks such as movies and other random stuff.

Good try though!
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
2218 posts
1282 upvotes
Brampton, ON
ceredon wrote: $49/8GB, unlimited canada wide calling.

4GB is ok, as long as you can live with the constant overage charges.
How long ago did you get this plan? You cannot compare a plan you got like 5 years ago to a plan that is possible in today's climate of phone plans. And also, where are you located? Mine is Ontario based.

Good try but no, it is not better still.
Jul 27, 2016
243 posts
186 upvotes
victoria
DragOnT wrote: Don't think it is LTE. Also, some of us have to call to Vancouver, Winnipeg, Montreal, etc every so often (yes, I know you can do it with other apps, but we are dealing with cell plans), and Province wide calling is just not cutting it.
Yes, it is 100% full LTE (but it is an expired offer fall promo, that is why i said it is not fair to compare expired offers vs current ones (assumed the one being mentioned was a non curent offer).

But you are correct provincial calling does not work for some people. In my case, however I bought the long distance add-on for $15 for 400 minutes over a year and a half ago and i only used 60 minutes so far.
Last edited by DominicL044247 on Dec 13th, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2002
1266 posts
642 upvotes
Oakville
Does virgin use the same system as Bell where the SIM associates with one phone (circa late 1990s)? And you have to phone in every time you switch a phone?
Sep 2, 2017
474 posts
540 upvotes
Edmonton
flyingnurse wrote: I have a virgin BYOD plan, $45/month for unlimited calling, voicemail, and 4 gb data.

Beat that!
For 30 bucks more than that I get the following with Telus:
10GB CAN/US data
Unlimited texting Can/US
Unlimited Calling Can/US

Not too bad!
Last edited by Jaylay14 on Dec 13th, 2017 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 27, 2016
243 posts
186 upvotes
victoria
PrimaryTech wrote: Does virgin use the same system as Bell where the SIM associates with one phone (circa late 1990s)? And you have to phone in every time you switch a phone?
I believe you are refering to the old cmada phones. both bell virgin and lucky all now use sim cards. just pop the sim into an unlocked phone and you are good to go
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2002
1266 posts
642 upvotes
Oakville
DominicL044247 wrote: I believe you are refering to the old cmada phones. both bell virgin and lucky all now use sim cards. just pop the sim into an unlocked phone and you are good to go
I had a bell data only plan. And I couldn’t swap devices without calling in and providing device IMEI. I’m just wondering if it’s the same for mobile phones? Or is that just the case for data sticks/tablet plans ? (I cancelled it last year so it was fairly recent)
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2008
2117 posts
1306 upvotes
Toronto
PrimaryTech wrote: I had a bell data only plan. And I couldn’t swap devices without calling in and providing device IMEI. I’m just wondering if it’s the same for mobile phones? Or is that just the case for data sticks/tablet plans ? (I cancelled it last year so it was fairly recent)
YMMV but I have a Bell tablet flex plan from this deal last year, and my SIM is not locked to any IMEI. Currently using it in a Galaxy S6 phone.
Amerifriend threads need to include instructions on how to acquire an amerifriend. :confused:
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2002
1266 posts
642 upvotes
Oakville
ssiu wrote: YMMV but I have a Bell tablet flex plan from this deal last year, and my SIM is not locked to any IMEI. Currently using it in a Galaxy S6 phone.
Weird. Do you know if virgin does this with mobile plans?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
9931 posts
1371 upvotes

Beat that!
Too expensive. Freedom Smartphone 40 LTE 6GB with F&F + BTS = $21
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
I know Public Mobile hasn't offered it in while, but I was paying $38 (now $37) for unlimited province wide calls and 4 gigs of data. 55 seems kind of warm at best? Probably better to wait for the next public mobile sale some something (even if you have to port from Freedom and pay $5 more than the plan was last year).
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2016
1880 posts
2185 upvotes
picklesandcheese wrote: I'm looking for a good BYOB plan in BC. What's the best out there right now?
You should get something like Freedom's Home 40 plan. $40 for 2Gb data and unlimited text and talk. It is one of the "basic" plans.

https://www.freedommobile.ca/plans-and-devices/plans

If you can wait, you will get better plans when they are avaliable.
Best shopping deals I got from here:
Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom $300, ZTE Blade V8 Pro $175, Fluld 55' 4k TV $360
Jul 16, 2017
191 posts
93 upvotes
DominicL044247 wrote: all depends what you are looking for and what you are currently paying. Public mobile and zoomer (after loyalty 3 or 6 months i can;t remember) seem to be my goto options
How does what I'm currently paying affect the best deal out there?

Just checked public mobile and unlimited canada wide + 3GB = $57 so a couple bucks more for more minutes but less data. Kind of a wash.

So this doesn't seem like a hot deal but it's a pretty good one.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
2218 posts
1282 upvotes
Brampton, ON
taro-chan wrote: Too expensive. Freedom Smartphone 40 LTE 6GB with F&F + BTS = $21
Not sure what F&F and BTS is but you lost me at "freedom".

I was with them when they were still called wind mobile, terrible reception and based on the current reviews not much has changed.

So I don't think your plan is better...
Apr 22, 2012
59 posts
54 upvotes
Calgary
I am in Alberta and I go on to their website and I don't see this pricing?? Do I need to go to a store?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
9931 posts
1371 upvotes
flyingnurse wrote: Not sure what F&F and BTS is but you lost me at "freedom".

I was with them when they were still called wind mobile, terrible reception and based on the current reviews not much has changed.

So I don't think your plan is better...
The reception is fine with me so I don't think your plan 100% a month better
Sep 2, 2017
474 posts
540 upvotes
Edmonton
taro-chan wrote: The reception is fine with me so I don't think your plan 100% a month better
Unfortunately not everyone lives in Freedom zones or has access to an F&F code. :(