Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10279 posts
650 upvotes
Toronto

Virgin vs Koodo - Which one is better?

I want to collect some opinions on what people think about Virgin vs Koodo for BYOP. Which one do you like more and why?
Last edited by Aznsilvrboy on Mar 19th, 2017 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1619 posts
816 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Virgin if you use the member benefits like 25% off H&M, the Cineplex starbucks, travel etc.

Koodo if you want no hassle with bills. Shock free data stops you from going over data. Ability to change plan, address, pay off tab, all on your own without calling Koodo. Plus they never raised the price of a plan ever.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer. Beware of their tactics.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
2798 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
I prefer Koodo for overall service. Better app by far - better customer service.

Actual network experience wise they should be identical as they both fall under the Bell/Telus network sharing.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
Oct 14, 2015
595 posts
389 upvotes
Toronto, ON
+1 for Koodo. Great customer service, good self serve options but recently updated app is garbage, so just stick to web version.
Galaxy S7 with Koodo $46 3GB plan
Zoomer $40.5 2GB plan
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
19268 posts
1431 upvotes
Been both a Virgin Mobile user and Koodo user.....here are my thoughts:

Virgin Mobile
Pros
- exclusive member benefits (i.e. Cineplex BOGO codes, Starbucks codes etc)
- fast iphone unlocks - doesn't require iphone to be on account for 90 days - can easily help family & friends unlock iphones
- cool sexy British lady's voice as default voicemail greeting
- good customer service, friendly reps

Cons
- limited online self serve features (i.e. can't number port on self serve, need to call in)

Koodo
Pros
- a lot of self serve features online (i.e. number porting is a big one) - no need to call into Koodo customer service
- great loopholes
- good customer service, friendly reps (I try not to call in too much anyways)

Cons
- strict policy on iphone unlocks (i.e. needs to be on account for 90 days - or at least the couple of reps that I talked to when I called in)

Networks are practically identical for me.....mainly in GTA greater areas...
Nov 29, 2013
72 posts
31 upvotes
Been with both Virgin and Koodo (jumped off Koodo for a better Virgin plan, then jumped back for a better Koodo plan).

Koodo is what I like to call "The human interaction hater's dream". You can pretty much do anything without interacting with a human. Want to add a line? Wanna get a new phone? No problem. The other thing I really like is the shock free data. I ration my data (even with 8gb) but knowing koodo has my back is great when I just forget to turn off data.

What I like about Virgin is all of it's little extras. As a university student, those food discounts made friday nights easier on the wallet. Among with other discounts such as clothes and hotels? That all helped keep me looking nice and fresh. Granted, I was younger, with more time. Now that I'm working, I'd be lucky to use any of those.

PS: Networks are pretty much the same. I haven't had a problem with either. I do get weird dropouts every now and then, but they happen regardless of which carrier i'm with.
Please give me a thumbs up if my answer helps!
Sell me your old phones! I like to tinker!

Current Phones: Samsung Galaxy S5, Motorola G 3rd Gen, Huawei P9+
Current Plan: 8GB Koodo Promo Plan for $56
Nov 7, 2016
84 posts
13 upvotes
Canada
I've been with both, I prefer Koodo's app and customer service but Virgin's stronger signal.
Mar 14, 2017
65 posts
21 upvotes
I had Virgin, but they had raised the monthly rate twice in the past 3 years. So I finally had it and ported over to Public Mobile when they had the $40/4GB offer.
Nov 29, 2013
72 posts
31 upvotes
TwitchyPuppy wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 7:01 am
I've been with both, I prefer Koodo's app and customer service but Virgin's stronger signal.
Do you happen to live in a relatively remote area? That might explain the difference, but in major cities, Bell/Telus should be tower sharing or have enough towers to cover equally.
Please give me a thumbs up if my answer helps!
Sell me your old phones! I like to tinker!

Current Phones: Samsung Galaxy S5, Motorola G 3rd Gen, Huawei P9+
Current Plan: 8GB Koodo Promo Plan for $56
Nov 7, 2016
84 posts
13 upvotes
Canada
AndrewW063715 wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 9:25 am
Same model of phone? & Where are you located?
Same model! And Quebec City.
mobifree wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 12:19 pm
That shouldn't be the case.
The signal should be identical as they're both on the TELUS/Bell shared network.
Koodo is on Telus network and Virgin is on Bell.
crayonhead wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 4:21 pm
Do you happen to live in a relatively remote area? That might explain the difference, but in major cities, Bell/Telus should be tower sharing or have enough towers to cover equally.
Downtown Quebec City. But, in my condo and inside shopping malls, for example, Virgin's signal is stronger.
But as soon as I step outside, they're pretty much the same.