• May 9th, 2013 12:05 am
Tags:
None
May 2, 2010
776 posts
701 upvotes
GTA

Virginia Beach

For anyone who has been there... Is this a tropical beach? I mean, palm trees, clear neon teal water, etc?

Or is it more like a Toronto or Wasaga beach?

I did google but saw mixed results and I've never physically been to a tropical beach to compare.
6 replies
Dec 22, 2006
401 posts
21 upvotes
Ive been there many times...its not tropical...to north to be so...but still very nice
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4920 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton
I haven't been there in a long time. Beach was nice. Tropical? No, remember, this is the Atlantic - no palm trees that I recall, need to go further South.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13011 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
It feels like a mix of both.

Water is not that warm, light, clear blue you see further south, but doesn't look 'cold' as Ontaro's fresh water. As mentioned, no palm trees

When I went, weather overall wasn't nice due to cloudiness and some rain, but water was pretty warm, so no problems there. If I were to compare it, it feels a bit more closer to Daytona Beach (long beach, off the beach, there are motels, basic stores really close by, though probably has some areas where it's a bit trendier regarding restaurants and shops).

My friend went before when it was crab hunting season, and he had a blast... it was at another beach that he went for that. He took us there when we went another time, but no crabs, though we did see dolphins.

The highlight of the trip.. 24 of Bud on sale for $11 at the supermarket.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4329 posts
1344 upvotes
Moncton
Folks out here like to brag that Parlee Beach has the warmest salt water north of Virginia. Since in July it's basically bath water, I consider that plenty warm. I was at Virginia Beach in January one year. Obviously couldn't swim, but was nice enough to bike and hike.

Google Streetview was there in June 2011. And yes, there are palm trees.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4329 posts
1344 upvotes
Moncton
at1212b wrote: The highlight of the trip.. 24 of Bud on sale for $11 at the supermarket.
Although still cheap, that price probably excluded deposit and tax. People do that for Quebec, and it drives me nuts (unlike Ontario and New Brunswick, in Quebec, deposit and tax is not included in the price).
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13011 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
MonctonMan wrote: Although still cheap, that price probably excluded deposit and tax. People do that for Quebec, and it drives me nuts (unlike Ontario and New Brunswick, in Quebec, deposit and tax is not included in the price).
Nope. No Deposit fee. (only 11 States have them.. Virginia is not one of them).

If there was tax, it was minimal. that we barely even noticed.