• Mar 21st, 2011 9:53 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 9, 2005
123 posts
8 upvotes

Visa Aerogold or Mastercard Aventura?

Need some help deciding which one to go for. People have been telling me the Aventura is better b/c you're not limited to just Air Canada like the Aerogold. But I've also heard the Aerogold point system is better. I dont know which one to choose and would appreciate some opinion/guidance.

Not sure if it matters or not, but the bank I'm with is CIBC.
11 replies
Banned
Oct 11, 2010
166 posts
12 upvotes
Being with CIBC only makes things a little more convenient. I currently have an Aerogold VISA Infinite ($120). I can't comment on the Aventura but I can tell you the Aerogold is pretty much worth it IF you can rack up ~25,000+ points per year or more which would get you a long-distance return flight.

The letdown is that #1. Your limited to Air Canada flights and 2. you have to pay the taxes of about $175 regardless of the flight (which is pretty much standard for any travel rewards system). If you're only going to rack up ~15,000 points a year which would give you a short distance return flight from YYZ to NYC/Boston/Chicago, then it may not be worth it because after adding the $170 in taxes, your savings are minimal after factoring in the $120 annual fee. If you hang around these boards often enough you'll find tons of discounted flights so you wouldn't even need to use your points and you'd be better off paying in cash.

Also, I'm kinda getting annoyed by the fact that whenever I try and book flights through Aeroplan, there never seem to be any convenient times and flights are always limited, but I guess it all varies.

Anyway, cheers.
Nov 29, 2008
64 posts
1 upvote
The aventura program is better because you have the benefit of using both the Aerogold and Aventura program because you can transfer Aventura points to Aeroplan in denominations of 10000 points so you have much more flexibility. You are right the aeroplan point structure is better but harder to get flights.
[OP]
Nov 9, 2005
123 posts
8 upvotes
Thanks for the response guys. Yeah that's what I've heard too regarding the limited flights for Aeroplan. I'm leaning towards Aventura since it has more flight options.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2005
1807 posts
161 upvotes
If you plan on getting a CIBC card then the Aventura seems like a better choice. If not, Capital One Aspire World and TD First Class are perhaps better choices overall.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2005
1399 posts
47 upvotes
Is Aventura points only used towards travel?? With aeroplan, I can use the points towards gift cards as well as merchandise...
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
12877 posts
575 upvotes
I've never really had any issue with getting flights using Aeroplan (calling you find far far more options and availability)

If you already fly frequently with Air Canada, then there is no question which one should choose.

We have used points for (number of tickets):
New York (2), Montreal (4), Australia (2), Beijing/Singapore (3), Geneva (2), England (2)
Mar 27, 2009
264 posts
46 upvotes
I don't see the point here. Get the Aventura and transfer points to Aeroplan whenever you want. They are almost exactly the same for all intents and purposes.

edit: for what it's worth, I'd get either the Amex Gold or Starwood Amex over either of these.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18566 posts
1010 upvotes
Why would you get either? They are both sub-par compared to other options like Avion, TD infinite, or Aspire. Just because you use CIBC for banking doesn't have to have anything to do with your CC.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Feb 11, 2008
14 posts
1 upvote
NY
So from a point redemption standpoint, are they the same or is one better than the other? I currently have the Aerogold Infinite and rack up about 80K in miles per year. If 80k can get me more or even the same for long haul flights with the Avent MC then I'd consider switching.
Mar 21, 2008
288 posts
25 upvotes
Calgary
I strongly reccomend that you select the CIBC Aventura World MasterCard. In addition to all the features of the CIBC Aerogold Visa Infinite Card, it also offers purchase security & extended warranty service for the same annual fee of ($120). But the big adavntage to Aventura is felxibility. You can fly with any airline you want because CIBC Aventura uses your points to buy your tickets so if a seat is available, you can have it! Try this: go to aircanada.com and search a flight to someplace, then go to areoplan.com and search the EXACT same flight and you will see that your options with Aeroplan are extremely limited. You get all these wierd flights with multiple and rediciously long layovers. The same thing goes for other travel options, you are not limited to what ever Aeroplan offers!

Whats more, if Aeroplan has what you want at a better point redemption value, you can convert your Aventura points to Aeroplan miles in a 1:1 ratio in increments of 10,000 points. Plus Aventura points never expire!

BTW: If you want to redeem for merchandise or gift cards, don't even for a second think about Aeroplan. When looking at short-haul flights, an Aeroplan mile is worth about $0.016, for a long-haul flight an Aeroplan mile is worth about $0.024, if you are looking at gift cards or merchandise, an Aeroplan mile is worth about $0.005 - $0.007, what a waste of miles!
× < >