Visa card billed for Amazon (.com) Prime....**possible fraud**

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2018 3:06 pm
[OP]
Nov 27, 2004
779 posts
125 upvotes

Visa card billed for Amazon (.com) Prime....**possible fraud**

Just checked my Visa statement, and it appears I was somehow charged TWICE at Amazon.com (not .ca) for Amazon Prime

I've never used Amazon Prime, and have alerted them (waiting for a call back)

Perhaps other RFD users should check their accounts
9 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
18550 posts
2044 upvotes
Montreal
Do you have a device that has the Amazon video app? If you run the app, it will likely k to your Amazon account and charge Prime membership to any card stored in your Amazon profile.
[OP]
Nov 27, 2004
779 posts
125 upvotes
mr_raider wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 1:13 pm
Do you have a device that has the Amazon video app? If you run the app, it will likely k to your Amazon account and charge Prime membership to any card stored in your Amazon profile.
Nope, but even stranger was that it charged me twice on the same day (in US$) ....they said they would call back within the hour....I guess it got busy abroad (no call back!)
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17386 posts
2117 upvotes
GTA West
Big Shooter wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 10:18 am
Just checked my Visa statement, and it appears I was somehow charged TWICE at Amazon.com (not .ca) for Amazon Prime

I've never used Amazon Prime, and have alerted them (waiting for a call back)

Perhaps other RFD users should check their accounts
I saw the same thing about 2 weeks ago on my RBC VISA.
Then I checked my Amazon.com (USA) account and it showed that I did not have a Prime subscription.
I called in (to RBC) and they said they had been seeing some reports on this, so my card was replaced.
Also, someone tried to authorize a Blizzard Games account on my card, but this was blocked by RBC.

This serves as a good lesson... I was traveling in Asia at the time, but never actually used that card on my trip. But if it was my only card, I might have been screwed. Actually I had issues with 3 of my credit cards when traveling. Bring MULTIPLE cards when traveling internationally!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
20336 posts
7319 upvotes
Ottawa
Is your account now Prime?
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
3545 posts
3564 upvotes
There is a chance it is data breach from Amazon. However, it may not related to Amazon at all because the description of the charge can be customized. Calling Amazon will not be helpful if Amazon is not the one who initiates the charges. The best way is to call Visa and file a dispute if necessary.
[OP]
Nov 27, 2004
779 posts
125 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 4:20 pm
I saw the same thing about 2 weeks ago on my RBC VISA.
Then I checked my Amazon.com (USA) account and it showed that I did not have a Prime subscription.
I called in (to RBC) and they said they had been seeing some reports on this, so my card was replaced.
Yes, it was on my RBC Visa as well, and they reversed the transactions, cancelled the card, and are re-issuing a new card (bit of a PITA, but I have another card anyway)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
20336 posts
7319 upvotes
Ottawa
lcmt wrote:
Jun 18th, 2018 5:13 am
There is a chance it is data breach from Amazon. However, it may not related to Amazon at all because the description of the charge can be customized. Calling Amazon will not be helpful if Amazon is not the one who initiates the charges. The best way is to call Visa and file a dispute if necessary.
Big Shooter wrote:
Jun 19th, 2018 2:31 am
Yes, it was on my RBC Visa as well, and they reversed the transactions, cancelled the card, and are re-issuing a new card (bit of a PITA, but I have another card anyway)
Someone is signing up for prime and using stolen credit card info?
Isn't that traceable and stupid on their behalf?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17386 posts
2117 upvotes
GTA West
vkizzle wrote:
Jun 19th, 2018 10:47 am
Someone is signing up for prime and using stolen credit card info?
Isn't that traceable and stupid on their behalf?
They'll get items shipped to dummy addresses, such as homes that are still under construction.
The crooks will wait outside on delivery day, pretending to be the home owner.

The Prime subscription may also be a "test" to make sure the card is working