• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2016 8:14 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 6, 2010
496 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
Drew_W wrote: They're all over this forum and posted on Costco's website.

Yes, I am aware of the posted rates, but in my experience I found that sometimes merchants can get a better deal, which is why I asked.
Cristian.
Jan 3, 2011
2 posts
saskatchewan
Drew_W wrote: #1. No issues with purchasing a unit off eBay. Security? It's completely reprogrammed. No security issues.

#2. Re reprogramming, I don't see why the providers don't benefit from it. Sure they don't financially, but the only reason I'm still with Elavon is because they let me reprogram a bunch of Ingenico terminals from eBay, including a 7780 Bluetooth wireless one. This "value added" means I dump tens of thousands of dollars in merchant fees into their bank account every year.

I own a small home based business and i am going into a trade show - and was thinking of buying a wireless unit off of ebay - how has your experience been with the units you bought off of ebay-

thanks for your time
Nov 12, 2011
1 posts
CALGARY
jackboot wrote: Can anyone enlighten us all with Elavon's policy regarding programming your own terminal?

The savings are very significant to purchase the hardware on eBay (or similar) vs purchasing directly from Elavon or renting from them.

I know that some posters in this thread are using their own hardware. But when I phoned Elevon they said that there is absolutely no way to use customer-provided hardware :confused:

...I wonder if it makes a difference if you sign up with Costco vs. one of the other Elevon resellers?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Jack, saving money by home reprogramming is the equivelent of distilling your own gasoline in the backyard - questionalbe for you,& a terror for your neighbours!
Multiple levels of encription protect your s,& more importantly, your consumers /customers credit & banking info.
If you get 5 years out of your POS terminal its in need of junking. Part of thecost of doing business...
Apr 6, 2010
496 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
opuscalgary wrote: ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Jack, saving money by home reprogramming is the equivelent of distilling your own gasoline in the backyard - questionalbe for you,& a terror for your neighbours!
Multiple levels of encription protect your s,& more importantly, your consumers /customers credit & banking info.
If you get 5 years out of your POS terminal its in need of junking. Part of thecost of doing business...

Wow, I haven't seen this thread in a long time...

Opus, the terminal is never programmed by the merchant - some providers will do that (very few and very rarely will they agree to something like this), and it is done by the provider connecting their servers to the terminal. I (and this is my opinion only) would still not consider it safe.

With this said, a provider will have to actually support the type of terminal you have as different models use different software. Also, some providers have proprietory software, so you might end up with an expensive paper weight.

As for the length of service - I've seen terminals older than 10 years, they are actually designed to last between 7 and 12, which is a good reason for the merchant to buy one instead of renting (providing you have the proper warranty on it).

Hope this helps,
Cristian.
Apr 8, 2013
22 posts
2 upvotes
Montreal
Attention merchants: BEWARE of ELAVON SCAMS, it result loosing a big buck.

Elavon, formerly known as Nova Information Systems, partner with Costco and is a subsidiary of US Bank. Watch out what they would do to your credit card processing account.
1) They used no-exist excuses to hold your money in the credit card processing account.
2) Suspend processing account before send you any notice.
3) Suspend account even from an customer's inquiry. (They cancel my account even the customer cleared the inquiry)
4) They don't let you contact the department handle your case. ( I have to find the US Bank investor relation to contact them)
4) Apply non-exist and undisclosed processing amount limit. (They asked you monthly average and then they said it is your monthly limit)
5) Even inquiry was resolved, they still apply suspension and withdrew money from bank account.
6) Multiple huge withdraws to empty your bank account without legitimate reason. (Think about 5 time of $4600 - $23000 in total )
7) Charging fee without reason or explanation.
8) Their employees are rude and ridiculous.
9) Charging service charge after cancellation ad making up excuse. (They charged on Sep 1, and Sep 3, after they received cancellation Aug 2)
10) Even you sent cancellation 30 day in advance, they still say not enough 30 days. (Their assistant legal counsel said Sep 3, is the 30th days from Aug 2)
11) They change the term of the contract without sending any notification. (They totally changed the contract and applied it 14 days later but send you no notification at all)
12) Making up non-exist document. (Sending a printout to proof they sent you email, but the printout does not have any email address)
13) Lied to authorities and Costco.
If you are a victim, try contact OCC, FTC, FBI, States Attorney, Canadian Authorities.
They should be punished.