Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2008
2277 posts
579 upvotes
Toronto

Visa Reloadable Prepaid Card in Canada?

Do they sell these in Canada? i have never seen any?
35 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2008
1231 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
I've seen Vanilla Visas at certain Shoppers Drug Marts behind the cashiers along with other prepaid cards. Certainly the one at Fairview. Most drug stores probably carry them.

edit: Actually I may be wrong and saw the Vanilla mastercard. I only saw the word "vanilla" clearly.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2005
6697 posts
266 upvotes
St. Catharines
Money mart has reloadable Visa as well but the fees are ass rape.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2008
2831 posts
371 upvotes
wwedx wrote: Do they sell these in Canada? i have never seen any?
I bought mine at MAXI grocery store.. they also have them at PHarmaprix (SDM)

But if you buy it at MAxi.. you can pay for it at the self-service machine and use your credit card and get the points!

I think SDM makes you pay debit or cash for it.

anyhoo I bought the $100 card last year and it is still good, I usually use it for small purchases from Dealextreme and other websites that use Pay
Pal and I do not trust PayPal with my real information.

You can allways just get a $20 3V visa voucher from the gas station (Esso)
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
3396 posts
648 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
mysticalinfluence wrote: Money mart has reloadable Visa as well but the fees are ass rape.
This is true to be sure, but the convenience is worth it. At least this way, it is $15 a month CASH. At the end of the month, I may have paid a $15 fee, but I am not paying interest that would be more than that and i am in 0 debt. IMO, this is worth the fee.
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1568 posts
613 upvotes
Brampton
RBC has them. $3.95 fees to get one and are re-loadable.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
3396 posts
648 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
dealerguy wrote: RBC has them. $3.95 fees to get one and are re-loadable.
Where can you get these? There is nothing on the RBC website that I could find, about a reloadable Visa card.
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2008
2831 posts
371 upvotes
willdacanucker wrote: Where can you get these? There is nothing on the RBC website that I could find, about a reloadable Visa card.
As I said.. grocery stores and PHarmacy
Aug 28, 2008
33 posts
2 upvotes
I know Shoppers has pre-paid VISA cards, however I am not sure if they are re-loadable...
Not really a "Newbie", but haven't posted in ages and my old posts seem to have gone missing.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5920 posts
51 upvotes
GT-eh
Staples have the Vanilla too in 50/100..

Anyone know if they work with Paypal verification?
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2008
2831 posts
371 upvotes
user01 wrote: Staples have the Vanilla too in 50/100..

Anyone know if they work with Paypal verification?
Yes...

I have done it 3 times now.

I also use it to pay for iPhone apps
Nov 17, 2009
251 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
willdacanucker wrote: This is true to be sure, but the convenience is worth it. At least this way, it is $15 a month CASH. At the end of the month, I may have paid a $15 fee, but I am not paying interest that would be more than that and i am in 0 debt. IMO, this is worth the fee.
Why not buy only what you can pay for at the end of the month and then save the $15 every month to treat yourself to a small present for being such a savvy consumer, while simultaneously flipping off the ass rapists at Money Mart and the bank that would have charged you interest?
Deal Guru
Sep 9, 2003
10592 posts
4839 upvotes
Burnaby
willdacanucker wrote: This is true to be sure, but the convenience is worth it. At least this way, it is $15 a month CASH. At the end of the month, I may have paid a $15 fee, but I am not paying interest that would be more than that and i am in 0 debt. IMO, this is worth the fee.
That's not really how a credit card normally works... you don't pay interest on purchases until you are LATE after a statement, you typically have 21 days or so from the end of the billing period to pay off the balance interest free.

In 10 years I've paid $3 of interest total when I was late with a payment once
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5920 posts
51 upvotes
GT-eh
iEye wrote: Yes...

I have done it 3 times now.

I also use it to pay for iPhone apps
Do they have security codes behind the Visa card? I haven't take a good look at it yet.

So how does this work exactly? I don't think they have your name on the card, etc.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2007
1331 posts
161 upvotes
Oakville
user01 wrote: Do they have security codes behind the Visa card? I haven't take a good look at it yet.

So how does this work exactly? I don't think they have your name on the card, etc.
I bought a $25 Citizens Bank Visa at Loblaws with a $3.95 fee. (for buying small things on deal extreme/focal price).

You can manage you account online (add name, address, phone # etc). The cards have the 3 digit security code on the back of them.

I recommend this one if your looking for the smallest amount possible!
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
4377 posts
1593 upvotes
user01 wrote: Do they have security codes behind the Visa card? I haven't take a good look at it yet.

yea, they do have the security code... and for the name, i had gotten some from work where there's not name on it as they were prize. they went through just fine.

also, having actually done manual credit card payment... the name is very superficial... as long as the number and expiry date matches, the payment goes through.
RFD is bad for your wallet's health 😂
Rogers EPP - $40 Canada/USA-wide + 6GB since 2018
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5920 posts
51 upvotes
GT-eh
CrazyJo82 wrote: yea, they do have the security code... and for the name, i had gotten some from work where there's not name on it as they were prize. they went through just fine.

also, having actually done manual credit card payment... the name is very superficial... as long as the number and expiry date matches, the payment goes through.
Oh cool, thanks.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)