None
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9172 posts
381 upvotes
Markham
setell wrote:
Dec 10th, 2012 3:55 pm
Have never had to provide birth certificate. I just have to write my chicken scratch chinese name for them to look me up in the system.

I thought you couldn't get a visa in HK anymore? I got it in HK a few years ago since it was easier and faster but then the last time I went in 2010 I couldn't so I got it in TO which was like a zoo there and took forever. Is it faster now?

EDIT:...guess they do want travel information before issuing a visa. Why would I want to stay in China :eek:
It's not impossible to get a Chinese visa in Hong Kong, however the rules and requirements can change like the weather. Unless you are a HK resident, don't count on it.

I believe there are still visas obtainable at the border from Hong Kong for visiting the Shenzhen area only.
:lol:
Sep 22, 2010
12 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
It was my first time getting a chinese visa and yes they required it...I've confirmed with many people. (although I'm not sure if it's different if you use an agency)
If you had a visa before, then you don't need, but May 2012 was my first time and they definately wanted it.

They actually asked me to write my name on a piece of paper (talk about pressure) which I did...then asked for a birth certificate...
Dec 12, 2012
20 posts
3 upvotes
MonctonMan wrote:
Dec 12th, 2012 2:52 am
Too bad the visa-free policy is only for transit. It rules out Canada-Japan-Shanghai-Japan-Canada trips and Canada-Hong Kong-Shanghai-Hong Kong-Canada visa free trips.
i am sure it is not visa free because Canada insists Chinese citizens need visa to enter Canada. Usually it is reciprocal.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9172 posts
381 upvotes
Markham
shaousc wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 10:12 pm
i am sure it is not visa free because Canada insists Chinese citizens need visa to enter Canada. Usually it is reciprocal.
Not always. But for China, probably visa requirements are more so for political purposes than naything, so they can deny undesirable people before they even show up at the border. And also the windfall from visa fees as the country is increasingly a popular travel destination.
:lol:
Dec 16, 2006
380 posts
31 upvotes
shaousc wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 10:12 pm
Not always, as Japanese and Singaporeans are visa free to China, but the Chinese citizens are requested to get visa to Japan and Singapore.
Jun 2, 2011
65 posts
3 upvotes
Mississauga
I recently applied for my Shanghai visit (double entry) and got it within a week. They didn't request for my birth certificate, they just wanted my HK ID.

I applied through the tour agency as they offer a better rate and also they check over everything to make sure it won't get rejected.

If you are going as a tourist, you need photocopies of plane ticket/hotel reservation. I am visiting my friends there so they made my friend write an "invitation letter". All the requirements are listed on this site.

http://www.visaforchina.org/YTO_EN/visa ... 3946.shtml
× < >