Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Visions Electronics

KEF Q300 bookshelf speakers $450 reg $800

Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3481 posts
1775 upvotes
If anyone is thinking of splitting their set of Q300 speakers to use as a center, please let me know. I'll buy the other speaker off of you.
Jan 17, 2009
564 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
I'm seeing $997 for the 700s. Am i missing something?
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2008
1580 posts
289 upvotes
Cech wrote: If anyone is thinking of splitting their set of Q300 speakers to use as a center, please let me know. I'll buy the other speaker off of you.
Can I use Q100/300 for center channel, but lay it on its side?
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2012
1232 posts
732 upvotes
Victoria
Cech wrote: If anyone is thinking of splitting their set of Q300 speakers to use as a center, please let me know. I'll buy the other speaker off of you.
What area do you live in? I have a pair of Q300s as my fronts and have got by okay with the phantom center channel, although I sometimes wonder if it would be better to have a dedicated center.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
busybe wrote: Can I use Q100/300 for center channel, but lay it on its side?
With KEF single driver speakers, you can definitely do it. Go for the Q300 if you can. It’s really really nice to have three identical speakers in the front.
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
mwahahaa wrote: What area do you live in? I have a pair of Q300s as my fronts and have got by okay with the phantom center channel, although I sometimes wonder if it would be better to have a dedicated center.
Yes, do it. You will find that the sound image will feel a lot more focused with a centre channel
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3481 posts
1775 upvotes
mwahahaa wrote: What area do you live in? I have a pair of Q300s as my fronts and have got by okay with the phantom center channel, although I sometimes wonder if it would be better to have a dedicated center.
Sorry, I ended up selling them. I found them a little too bright. I ended up keeping my Wharfedale Diamonds after several nights of auditioning and comparing.
Jan 3, 2016
78 posts
21 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Is that price for one or a pair? How does Q900 compares with Polk RTI A9? From a search online, the RTI A9 is pretty accurate playing at 80dB.
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/p ... Gt6WbU2.97

I got a pair of RTI A9 but I am not impressed at all playing music at high level. I am wondering if I should switch to a pair of Q900.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2009
1219 posts
884 upvotes
It's for a pair.

Admittedly, I haven't done research on Polk, but as far as I know, in the audiophile world, Polk isn't very highly regarded. KEF makes some very good stuff.

So without doing any research really on either, I would expect that the KEF is probably better based on reputation.
Sep 3, 2016
555 posts
773 upvotes
Polk is very similar to Klipsch, very bright and exaggerated highs ... much better suited for home theater.

KEF seems to be pretty neutral and absolutely crushes the RTI series in terms of soundstage.
Sep 9, 2003
509 posts
19 upvotes
Vancouver
Another consideration for those debating between the Q100 vs Q300 is the size of the room. I forget the numbers for smaller spaces like a condo or a bedroom, the Q300 can get a little overwhelming.
Sep 3, 2016
555 posts
773 upvotes
Tsuioku wrote: Another consideration for those debating between the Q100 vs Q300 is the size of the room. I forget the numbers for smaller spaces like a condo or a bedroom, the Q300 can get a little overwhelming.
Not sure why this would matter, they are both front ported?

Breathing room isn't going to make or break these.

Unless your talking about the physical size?
Jan 3, 2016
78 posts
21 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Zimtron wrote: Polk is very similar to Klipsch, very bright and exaggerated highs ... much better suited for home theater.

KEF seems to be pretty neutral and absolutely crushes the RTI series in terms of soundstage.
That's right, the high frequencies sounds pretty noisy on my RTI A9. I have to tune it down with my receiver's eq. Sounds much better after that. I was looking into the Q700 and a few other brands back at that time. I nearly bought a pair of used Q500 at Canuck Audio Mart... But then the RTI A9 got a huge sale, 800 a pair.. Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy
Jan 3, 2016
78 posts
21 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
unknownone wrote: It's for a pair.

Admittedly, I haven't done research on Polk, but as far as I know, in the audiophile world, Polk isn't very highly regarded. KEF makes some very good stuff.

So without doing any research really on either, I would expect that the KEF is probably better based on reputation.
That's a very good deal then.. Tempting..
Feb 16, 2017
68 posts
20 upvotes
Zimtron wrote: Polk is very similar to Klipsch, very bright and exaggerated highs ... much better suited for home theater.

as someone who has owned both polk and klipsch and demoed these you are right its not really even that close in terms of sound stage. these sound really nice and dont fatigue at all. and the lows are pretty good for a speaker this size i would say they compete against the svs ultras and paradigm monitors.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2011
1380 posts
549 upvotes
Oakville, ON
JS1989 wrote: That's a very good deal then.. Tempting..
Do it. I love my Q900's. I can't play them at 0 dB on my receiver cuz they're too loud in my medium-sized basement room.
Sep 9, 2003
509 posts
19 upvotes
Vancouver
Zimtron wrote: Not sure why this would matter, they are both front ported?

Breathing room isn't going to make or break these.

Unless your talking about the physical size?
Porting allows the speaker to breathe but the driver size determines how sound projects.
Sound can get muffled if you put a large driver in a small room. Larger drivers also tend to require more power to get the detail out of them which can get over powering if you are too close.

This is an extreme simplification. There are many discussions/articles on this topic and gets complicated really fast.
Sep 3, 2016
555 posts
773 upvotes
Tsuioku wrote: Porting allows the speaker to breathe but the driver size determines how sound projects.
Sound can get muffled if you put a large driver in a small room. Larger drivers also tend to require more power to get the detail out of them which can get over powering if you are too close.

This is an extreme simplification. There are many discussions/articles on this topic and gets complicated really fast.
Porting has nothing to do with how a speaker "breathes", if there is air for the woofer to push then it has to work harder ... plain and simple. Sealed ports have more accurate bass with a drawback of rolloff in the lower frequency while open ports sacrifice accuracy but provide more bass in the lower frequencies. If you have ever listened to a car subwoofer that is sealed vs ported this is the best way to differentiate the two, its the exact same concept.

However you place your speakers and what room they are in can change the acoustics. I have played around with different bookshelfs (rear/front ported) and positioning however never found a significant difference. The biggest difference I did find was using a pair of isoacoustic stands which greatly improve the lower frequencies.

The size of the woofer/tweeter has nothing to do with how much power they require ... all sensitivity ratings are done at 1w, Q100 rated at 86db / q300 RATED AT 87db (literally no difference in terms of power requirement).