Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Visions Electronics

Logitech Harmony Elite $298.00

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2018 4:19 pm
19 replies
Apr 1, 2009
454 posts
252 upvotes
GTA
Thank you!
I was looking for a discount on this since my Harmony One started to give up.
Jun 6, 2005
735 posts
186 upvotes
Olbi wrote: Thank you!
I was looking for a discount on this since my Harmony One started to give up.
I wish they would bring a new one of these to market with the form factor of the One. I think the numbers are critical on a remote. I still have 3 in the house but would replace all if there was an equivalent newer model.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2008
1789 posts
509 upvotes
GTA
I have the Ultimate and I definitely do not like the layout of the buttons. I'm constantly pressing buttons on the touch screen by mistake. And that's even with the screen locked.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
bigred123 wrote: I wish they would bring a new one of these to market with the form factor of the One. I think the numbers are critical on a remote. I still have 3 in the house but would replace all if there was an equivalent newer model.
The one has those ridiculous PVR buttons above the screen. I didnt even notice this one doesnt have buttons. Been lusting after it for a while.

I grabbed a 665 Boxing Day as my 880 is slowly slipping away. No idea who is designing these things now. Like they are trying to fail.
Oct 12, 2011
887 posts
746 upvotes
CARP
Jerico wrote: The one has those ridiculous PVR buttons above the screen.
Not the old One(looks the same as the 900 IIRC)
Dec 27, 2013
665 posts
300 upvotes
Toronto
FWIW, bought this a couple years back along with a "smart" companion remote. I use the companion remote 99% of the time, pretty much only use the Elite when I have lost the other one in the couch cushions somewhere and am too lazy to search for it, or when I want to make a change to something on a device itself (change picture mode, etc), which I can do most of via the phone app as well. The Elite is a beautiful remote, but as others have noted the lack of number buttons limits the use somewhat and my family is constantly accidentally touching something on the screen, both of which are reasons we use the companion 99% of the time.

Unless you a) really need a cool looking remote or b) find yourself constantly tweaking (I use to be a constant tweaker with my old remote and don't anymore with the activity functions setup perfectly) than maybe the extra ~$150-200 is worth it for the Elite.
Jan 24, 2008
134 posts
146 upvotes
bigred123 wrote: I wish they would bring a new one of these to market with the form factor of the One. I think the numbers are critical on a remote. I still have 3 in the house but would replace all if there was an equivalent newer model.
Holy Hannah.. I didn't even notice the lack of a numeric keypad.. WTF.. dealbreaker.. crap, it looked good. I find the button layout for PVR's useless on many of the Logitechs, I use the skip button for commercials more than anything else, so something with them tucked up top is also a deakbreaker.. hopefully my One can hang on until they release a better design.
Jul 28, 2011
256 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
Sweet Bejesus Mother of Time!!! Do people really pay 300+ for the remote? I mean, I love tech, but this is beyond me.
Oct 18, 2015
388 posts
279 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Me too! It's too bad the LCD is so easily broken and the fix is basically the cost of a new remote. I have been buying used ones whenever I find a cheap one and is on my 5th already.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2005
4244 posts
316 upvotes
Seriously! The One also felt much better in hand and had less wobble when on a flat surface compared to this one...
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2007
1479 posts
1645 upvotes
Pbc100 wrote: I use the companion remote 99% of the time, pretty much only use the Elite when I have lost the other one in the couch cushions somewhere and am too lazy to search for it, or when I want to make a change to something on a device itself (change picture mode, etc), which I can do most of via the phone app as well.
Is this because with the Companion remote, you cannot switch devices and do a function on that device unless you start a whole new activity? I'm trying to understand these hub remotes.

Lets say I start an activity that involves starting the TV, changing input to media box 1, then I watch something. While watching, I just want to quickly switch to my media box 2 to see some settings. My understanding is I cannot use the remote to just change input/source to media box 2 HDMI, then all the buttons are switched to operate media box 2, then when I switch back to media box 1 HDMI, the buttons would switch back? Instead I have to initiate a new media box 2 activity that stops media box 1?
Dec 27, 2013
665 posts
300 upvotes
Toronto
Zaptor99 wrote: Is this because with the Companion remote, you cannot switch devices and do a function on that device unless you start a whole new activity? I'm trying to understand these hub remotes.

Lets say I start an activity that involves starting the TV, changing input to media box 1, then I watch something. While watching, I just want to quickly switch to my media box 2 to see some settings. My understanding is I cannot use the remote to just change input/source to media box 2 HDMI, then all the buttons are switched to operate media box 2, then when I switch back to media box 1 HDMI, the buttons would switch back? Instead I have to initiate a new media box 2 activity that stops media box 1?
Correct, with the companion remote all you can do is select activities. E.g., to watch TV I hit the TV button, and in the background setup the macro to turn the set on, AVR on, TV input to HDMI 1, cable box on, etc. If while watching TV I want to check something on my android media box, I hit the "Movie" button, and it then goes through the same sequence (discrete on for TV, AVR, switches the AVR input to my Android Box, etc). But takes a few seconds to go through all the selections.

Thinking about it, I guess I could set up the functions so that some of them are simply switching inputs and control of the companion remote. You can do up to 6 (3 buttons with long press vs short press for each).

The biggest pain is when I want to switch from say one picture setting (e.g., Movie - Dark which is my ISF'd setting to say Movie - Bright for when I watch things that are a bit too dark on my android box), I Can't do that with the companion remote and have to do it through my phone or the Elite. That's pretty much what I use the $300 Elite remote for, to select picture modes or when I can't find my companion. Would also need to use it for any other detailed things, e.g., switching sound mode on my AVR, etc.

Again, thinking about it there are 3 or 4 "coloured" buttons on the Companion I could use to do some of this, but then I'd have to remember which coloured button does what. E.g., I know Red turns on my android box when it's in sleep mode. I guess I could select Blue to run Inputs on my TV or the settings menu sort of thing. I'm sure there are workarounds for all of it, but haven't spent enough time bothering with it given I use my Elite or phone maybe twice a week for those functions, if that.

I thought I'd hate it coming from an HTM MX-500 type of remote (still my overall favourite), but this one is much easier for the wife and kids to use and I can use it with Google Home via voice command (Another novelty function I guess).
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2007
1479 posts
1645 upvotes
Pbc100 wrote: Correct, with the companion remote all you can do is select activities. E.g., to watch TV I hit the TV button, and in the background setup the macro to turn the set on, AVR on, TV input to HDMI 1, cable box on, etc. If while watching TV I want to check something on my android media box, I hit the "Movie" button, and it then goes through the same sequence (discrete on for TV, AVR, switches the AVR input to my Android Box, etc). But takes a few seconds to go through all the selections.

Thinking about it, I guess I could set up the functions so that some of them are simply switching inputs and control of the companion remote. You can do up to 6 (3 buttons with long press vs short press for each).

The biggest pain is when I want to switch from say one picture setting (e.g., Movie - Dark which is my ISF'd setting to say Movie - Bright for when I watch things that are a bit too dark on my android box), I Can't do that with the companion remote and have to do it through my phone or the Elite. That's pretty much what I use the $300 Elite remote for, to select picture modes or when I can't find my companion. Would also need to use it for any other detailed things, e.g., switching sound mode on my AVR, etc.

Again, thinking about it there are 3 or 4 "coloured" buttons on the Companion I could use to do some of this, but then I'd have to remember which coloured button does what. E.g., I know Red turns on my android box when it's in sleep mode. I guess I could select Blue to run Inputs on my TV or the settings menu sort of thing. I'm sure there are workarounds for all of it, but haven't spent enough time bothering with it given I use my Elite or phone maybe twice a week for those functions, if that.

I thought I'd hate it coming from an HTM MX-500 type of remote (still my overall favourite), but this one is much easier for the wife and kids to use and I can use it with Google Home via voice command (Another novelty function I guess).
Thank you for the explanation. I think I like the activities to simplify the daily tasks of watching stuff, but the limitations in changing other device settings would drive me crazy. Maybe I can get the companion set for activities and the harmony 665 to do the device specific changes when needed. Or Logitech can combine the Elite and companion into 1 super remote :)
Dec 27, 2013
665 posts
300 upvotes
Toronto
You can do just about everything you want on the Elite. Really the only drawback is the lack of hard numeric buttons and having to swipe the screen a couple times to get to the number buttons on the screen.

I was the same, that's why I ended up getting the Elite, as I thought it would drive me nuts as well. I'm actually surprised at how little I actually use those functions now and stick to the Companion. Just wish it was backlit is my biggest complaint now.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
2228 posts
276 upvotes
Toronto
I never realized the Elite didn't have the number keys, but from my perspective, that's not a problem since I'm a cord cutter and all my TV watching is via streaming apps, so the numeric keys are never used anyway.
Apr 1, 2009
454 posts
252 upvotes
GTA
The lack of number keys is not a big deal for me since there are a only handful of channels we watch - anything else is arrow keys controlled. I definitely prefer the layout and the overall shape of the old Harmony ONE, but this is the closest of the Logitech's remotes. It supports all devices I need and my elderly parents need the screen. Plus all my activities and devices from the ONE transferred without any issue and this alone saved me a ton of time in reprogramming (which is way worse than the old Logitech Harmony desktop application)!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)