• Aug 11th, 2018 2:51 pm
[OP]
May 13, 2009
4671 posts
7805 upvotes
Scarborough

[Visions Electronics] Neontek 4K N11 TV Box $78 free shipping

Added pics in 2nd page...

Price today is $99 ($94 with in store pickup), one day special of $78 August 11 (tomorrow), extra savings when picking up in store - YMMV
https://www.visions.ca/catalogue/catego ... 31&sku=N11

SoC, RAM and storage
At the processor level the NEONTEK N11 TV-Box includes a AMlogic S905W Quad Core SoC which includes four 64-bit ARM Cortex-A53 CPU cores capable of reaching 1.5GHz and a Mali-450mp5 GPU capable of decoding video up to 4K@30fps. Integrated on the board we find 2 GB of DDR3 RAM and 16 GB of eMMc storage memory that can be expanded by installing a memory card in the microSD slot found on the side.

Connectivity and other features
At the level of wireless connections includes WiFi b/g/n with internal antenna and Bluetooth 4.0, essential for the remote control it includes. In terms of connectivity we find two USB 2.0 ports, an HDMI 2.0a, 10/100 network port, analog jack for audio and video and an SPDIF digital audio output jack. The operating system is Android TV based on Android 7.1.2.

Neontek 4K Android Media Box Highlights:
Android Quad core 4K media streaming box
Android 7.1 Nougat, Google and Netflix licensed
4K video decoder and 1080p video streaming
HDMI input, AV output, 2 USB input, Lan
2GB DDR, 16GB Nand Flash
Bluetooth Voice Remote

https://androidpctv.com/neontek-n11-a-n ... installed/

$199 at London Drugs
https://www.londondrugs.com/neontek-4k- ... 64821.html
$140 USD at aliexpress
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Google- ... 62213.html

Eladmk
Moderator / Deal Sniper
RedFlagDeals.com Forum Rules
hot-deals/announcement-a.html
23 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1216 posts
517 upvotes
montreal
Is that box really good?
or is it similar to any Chinese 2GB/16GB android boxes available on amazon?
[OP]
May 13, 2009
4671 posts
7805 upvotes
Scarborough
superbigjay wrote:
Aug 10th, 2018 11:57 am
Is that box really good?
or is it similar to any Chinese 2GB/16GB android boxes available on amazon?
This one will be comparable to the xiaomi mi box with Android TV (perhaps a cheaper version that you can get locally?). None of the tv boxes in amazon are google certified and most of them run on a stripped down version of mobile Android OS with custom GUI as far as I know. I am going to give this a try.
Eladmk
Moderator / Deal Sniper
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
13273 posts
1277 upvotes
Toronto
No mention of wireless AC or 5 GHz for this box. Is this an oversight?
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11755 posts
1239 upvotes
Kanata
It's not listed on Netflix's site for approved streaming media players, are they not up to date? About to purchase a Mi Box, would love if this was an alternative.
Mar 20, 2013
470 posts
332 upvotes
Winnipeg
What does Netflix approved mean? Can it do Netflix in 4K?

I thought that the cheap Chinese 'Android' box could not do Netflix in 4K and that you needed a real 'Android TV OS' box for that.

I might be wrong, but this looks like just another 'Android OS' TV box. (and not the official Android TV OS)
Feb 5, 2017
160 posts
131 upvotes
Vancouver
Tried to do online search on this particular device, but very limited info.
Most likely do Netflix in 1080p rather than 4K.

I was particularly hoping that it has some type of ChromeCast functionality....
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
2543 posts
1708 upvotes
This is not a licenced Android TV box. It is a generic Android media player based on the current Amlogic S905W chipset, with an unauthorized clone of Android TV software.

Aside from the Android TV clone, similar boxes self for half this price on Amazon.ca. Whether the Android TV clone is worth the extra money is up to you. It does bring a few benefits, such as authorization play Netflix in HD, and Chromecast emulation. But since it's unauthorized hacked software, it's likely that not all features work, you won't be able to update it, and both Google and Netflix will probably find a way to invalidate it fairly soon.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1216 posts
517 upvotes
montreal
eladmk wrote:
Aug 10th, 2018 12:05 pm
This one will be comparable to the xiaomi mi box with Android TV (perhaps a cheaper version that you can get locally?). None of the tv boxes in amazon are google certified and most of them run on a stripped down version of mobile Android OS with custom GUI as far as I know. I am going to give this a try.
Interesting ...
I will give it a try too I think!

Thanks
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
14426 posts
5175 upvotes
Oakville
Is this actually legitimately Google certified? Or is it just running a bootleg version of Android TV for its OS? Because I can't find anything anywhere listing this as a certified Android TV box.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB recipient
[OP]
May 13, 2009
4671 posts
7805 upvotes
Scarborough
wearysky wrote:
Aug 10th, 2018 2:30 pm
Is this actually legitimately Google certified? Or is it just running a bootleg version of Android TV for its OS? Because I can't find anything anywhere listing this as a certified Android TV box.
I will have to go check out the packaging in store and look for any signs of google certification.
Eladmk
Moderator / Deal Sniper
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1216 posts
517 upvotes
montreal
eladmk wrote:
Aug 10th, 2018 2:35 pm
I will have to go check out the packaging in store and look for any signs of google certification.
Very interested in your findings ...
Cheers!
Apr 21, 2009
391 posts
106 upvotes
Tri Cities
No 5ghz wifi or wifi AC, makes this old tech. I would just get a mi box
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
1003 posts
365 upvotes
Kitchener
Yes, please report back if this is actually google android TV certified. Packaging can have anything on it these days, doesn't mean its true.

But would love some more official boxes for competition.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)