• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2019 9:10 pm
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
25009 posts
5280 upvotes
ironmen77 wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 10:26 am
How hard are these to install if you’ve never done it before? Really debating putting this into my 15 Chevy Cruze. I need CarPlay Face With Tears Of Joy
If you're good with doing wiring (don't need soldering really, just crimping) then it's more time consuming than difficult. I've installed things like car stereos and alarms/remote starters (mobile/12V electronics) since before I could even drive on my own lol. However times have changed a bit and a screen HU, though not really any harder than an old-skool single-DIN CD HU or something, they are certainly more involved and time consuming.

I think this is a "skill" lost on a lot of people these days, I mean even the ones that would have been into that sort of thing say 20 years ago. I mean teens don't even seem to get into this at all anymore, like we did when I was a kid. They basically just have their parents buy them a car with a "premium" sound system or some crap and think that's the cat's meow and whatnot :facepalm: You know the kinds that promise something silly like "20 speakers" of nonsense and "800W" that's really 150W, lol. Most kids today wouldn't know a resistor from a relay. So the people that would usually get into this, don't do this anymore and aftermarket car audio has really gone downhill in terms of market. Ask one of them who/what Fosgate, Orion, or MTX are and they'll probably have no idea; Soundstream, they'll probably tell you bluetooth speakers lol; and the list goes on. Perhaps Americans would do better, but def. not urban Canadian kids.

Anyway aside from that business (ranting?) there's also the fact that not only are the HUs more complicated, so are the cars. Many cars don't even have a practical or reasonable way of installing a standardised (DIN, double-DIN) unit anymore. Everything is all integrated and designed into the car, sometimes heavily so. Even the cars you can do it, often require expensive kits and adapters to incorporate/replace other factory controls and displays, like climate controls, information readouts, vehicle settings, etc. So it gets even more complicated.

If you have an "easy" car, it won't be difficult but again it can still be quite time consuming, esp. if you start getting into things like reverse cams, GPS antennas, steering controls/CAN bus adapters, and the like. There can be a lot of wires and wiring to do, and if you want a reliable and dependable installation you have to do it right.

Honestly I don't envy a first-time-installer in one of today's vehicles, with today's HUs. You should probably find a DIY on a Cruze forum and see what you think of it. If you think you understand everything and can handle it, by all means have at it. In any event, good luck! :)
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2004
4601 posts
685 upvotes
Crutchfield is the better vendor to buy from. Their return policy is amazing. And you get discounts on all the parts needed, too.

Crutchfield gives you a full detailed install guide, too. Also you can call them up if you need help.

I needed to way to install the backup camera connected to my xav5000, the tech recommended me to tap it in the front kick panel and even told me which colour wire to tap.

For crimping, if you get those stereo install crimp connectors, it's super easy, no stripping or soldering required. Just screw the two ends together. Crutchfield sells them.
"I live my life a quarter-mile at a time, for those 10 seconds or less... i'm free."

11 Never Summer Heritage, 08 Rome Targa
08 Nitro Eero Ettala 155, 07 Rome 390
07 Capita Outdoor Living 154
Cervelo Soloist Carbon Ultegra
Feb 1, 2015
844 posts
427 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ES_Revenge wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 8:50 pm
If you're good with doing wiring (don't need soldering really, just crimping) then it's more time consuming than difficult. I've installed things like car stereos and alarms/remote starters (mobile/12V electronics) since before I could even drive on my own lol. However times have changed a bit and a screen HU, though not really any harder than an old-skool single-DIN CD HU or something, they are certainly more involved and time consuming.

I think this is a "skill" lost on a lot of people these days, I mean even the ones that would have been into that sort of thing say 20 years ago. I mean teens don't even seem to get into this at all anymore, like we did when I was a kid. They basically just have their parents buy them a car with a "premium" sound system or some crap and think that's the cat's meow and whatnot :facepalm: You know the kinds that promise something silly like "20 speakers" of nonsense and "800W" that's really 150W, lol. Most kids today wouldn't know a resistor from a relay. So the people that would usually get into this, don't do this anymore and aftermarket car audio has really gone downhill in terms of market. Ask one of them who/what Fosgate, Orion, or MTX are and they'll probably have no idea; Soundstream, they'll probably tell you bluetooth speakers lol; and the list goes on. Perhaps Americans would do better, but def. not urban Canadian kids.

Anyway aside from that business (ranting?) there's also the fact that not only are the HUs more complicated, so are the cars. Many cars don't even have a practical or reasonable way of installing a standardised (DIN, double-DIN) unit anymore. Everything is all integrated and designed into the car, sometimes heavily so. Even the cars you can do it, often require expensive kits and adapters to incorporate/replace other factory controls and displays, like climate controls, information readouts, vehicle settings, etc. So it gets even more complicated.

If you have an "easy" car, it won't be difficult but again it can still be quite time consuming, esp. if you start getting into things like reverse cams, GPS antennas, steering controls/CAN bus adapters, and the like. There can be a lot of wires and wiring to do, and if you want a reliable and dependable installation you have to do it right.

Honestly I don't envy a first-time-installer in one of today's vehicles, with today's HUs. You should probably find a DIY on a Cruze forum and see what you think of it. If you think you understand everything and can handle it, by all means have at it. In any event, good luck! :)
I appreciate the time you took to respond. Everything you said definitely makes sense and I can see where you’re coming from. I wouldn’t have a lot of additional feature to wire outside the rear cam, but I’ll probably have someone do it who’s experienced; better safe than sorry.
Feb 1, 2015
844 posts
427 upvotes
Toronto, ON
KhajitGotWares wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 12:13 pm
It's not overly complicated, but may require soldering a few wires. Also, you most likely need to buy a frame (DIN kit) to match your vehicle. (Usually $30-$40).
You'll also want to check if your steering wheel audio controls will still work after the upgrade.

Thanks for your reply as well. I’m gonna use a service to install because I haven’t done it and would rather pay a fe bones to have it done right
Jan 12, 2007
271 posts
44 upvotes
Does anyone have good experience with any installers in GVR area?
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
1907 posts
167 upvotes
Bolton
PriceHunter wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 11:42 am
Will this be installed in a Jetta trendline+ 2013? Will it get bluetooth with it?

Never done this, just exploring options. Anyone has a link will be highly appreciated.
You will get BT. Just keep in mind that your stock speakers will not be able to handle non-oem head unit and be prepared to replace them. In fact due to same issue, I'm replacing my doughtier speakers + AMP in her 2011 Jetta today.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
2510 posts
2780 upvotes
ancnfamily wrote:
May 26th, 2019 11:02 am
You will get BT. Just keep in mind that your stock speakers will not be able to handle non-oem head unit and be prepared to replace them. In fact due to same issue, I'm replacing my doughtier speakers + AMP in her 2011 Jetta today.
Do you have a picture of it installed? I am just worried about it fitting in to start.
Oct 9, 2018
74 posts
29 upvotes
Looking to get one of these as I just purchased a 2006 Acura TSX.
I noticed on Crutchfield there are packages with installation kit included... are those mandatory?
What would someone to with just this unit and not the installation kit?
Feb 26, 2017
400 posts
248 upvotes
bluetroll wrote: Crutchfield is the better vendor to buy from. Their return policy is amazing. And you get discounts on all the parts needed, too.

Crutchfield gives you a full detailed install guide, too. Also you can call them up if you need help.

I needed to way to install the backup camera connected to my xav5000, the tech recommended me to tap it in the front kick panel and even told me which colour wire to tap.

For crimping, if you get those stereo install crimp connectors, it's super easy, no stripping or soldering required. Just screw the two ends together. Crutchfield sells them.

+1 I highly recommend Crutchfield if you’re a newb like myself. I bought a Sony HU and one of the wires in the mounting bracket wasn’t lined up in the correct slot for my car. It was a 5:00 on a Sunday and my dash was totally apart.

I phoned up their customer service in the states - which they allow and the person totally saved me. It was really impressive.

I could have got the same HU from visions for a few less, but in that instance I had no clue what was wrong
And almost had to hire someone at $150 or whatever.

I mean if you’re a pro - I’m sure you just look for price. But a newb who’s never tried this. No debate IMO
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2004
4601 posts
685 upvotes
reeepo wrote:
May 26th, 2019 2:36 pm
Looking to get one of these as I just purchased a 2006 Acura TSX.
I noticed on Crutchfield there are packages with installation kit included... are those mandatory?
What would someone to with just this unit and not the installation kit?
You wouldn't need the kit if you already have an aftermarket HU and replacing it with a newer aftermarket HU.

You're going to need a kit if you are installing an aftermarket HU. The alternative if you cut every wire on the factory HU harness and splice it to the aftermarket HU harness, but that's the dumbest idea ever.
You will need the dash trim kit, unless your vehicle currently has a double din sized factory HU.
"I live my life a quarter-mile at a time, for those 10 seconds or less... i'm free."

11 Never Summer Heritage, 08 Rome Targa
08 Nitro Eero Ettala 155, 07 Rome 390
07 Capita Outdoor Living 154
Cervelo Soloist Carbon Ultegra
Sep 23, 2013
393 posts
337 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
vancdeals wrote:
May 24th, 2019 12:09 pm
Does anyone have good experience with any installers in GVR area?
Got my sony deck installed at RPM Electronics in Burnaby. I knew i couldnt do it myself, especially given the backup camera. Quick and knowledgeable and way cheaper than those jokers at Visions just a block away. Reviews online are excellent for them.
Jul 27, 2015
686 posts
253 upvotes
British Columbia
hartzfizzo wrote:
May 27th, 2019 1:06 am
Got my sony deck installed at RPM Electronics in Burnaby. I knew i couldnt do it myself, especially given the backup camera. Quick and knowledgeable and way cheaper than those jokers at Visions just a block away. Reviews online are excellent for them.
Yah Visions wanted $200 for install plus Parts! Yikes!
The deck i was looking at was $179.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3028 posts
334 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
bluetroll wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 9:40 pm

Just for anyone who's interested in these Posi-Tec screw-on connectors, you really need to make sure that you don't strip off too much wire - else you'll be struggling to screw on the caps even halfway and end up with blisters on your thumbs.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2017
8593 posts
2052 upvotes
Scarberia
make sure u get carbridge app if ur JBd! can play any apps on carplay, imo this still too expensive..maybe when it hits sub 200 i'd get it
*SIG: Ryzen™ R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit @39.99$
https://valid.x86.fr/f3xr98