Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1321 posts
118 upvotes
Winnipeg
taylour wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 12:00 am
Is the 55" hitachi deal for $778 any good? 2001 has it for $1000

Looking to get a deal on a non 3d, non smart tv led in the range of 55"-60".

Bestbuy has a 55" insigna led for $600 but the hitachi seems like a better deal since it isn't no name. Still waiting for the BB and FS flyers, hoping to see a better deal.

How does edge lit compare to full led?
the biggest problem with edgelit is the background uniformity. when done well, usually with dimming, it's not a real issue. but when done poorly, it can make the tv absolutely unwatchable in the dark. if you watch tv at night with the lights off, or in a light controlled room, you DEFINITELY want to check out the TV in a dark environment and make sure the store has some kind of satisfaction guarantee. it's very difficult to see the flashlighting and clouding in the store.

but here, to give you an idea. here's a pic i snapped of a samsung d6300 i took before returning it. this is supposed to be a flat black screen:

that was actually the 2nd one i brought home, the first was even worse because a lot of the clouding was at about 2/3rds of the way up, right where the 'black' sky is supposed to be in most night scenes. so it was super obviously. trying to watch a movie like batman made me want smash the tv.
Jul 24, 2006
312 posts
12 upvotes
what do you guys think about the alpine dvd navigation double din for 598
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
4947 posts
500 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
I hope that someone can give me a good reason to not get the Sharp LC80LE632U.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2012
2565 posts
420 upvotes
kamascottra wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 11:53 pm
i'm voting for spoiled. i remember buying a samsung 50" b530 plasma for 999 a few years back and that was a 'great' price at the time. now the 60" is going for under 900. that really is quite cheap for a decent 60" tv. it's just not worth the hassles of fighting off stupid boxing day shoppers when you can get that tv for that price in oct
It's called economies of scale. Learn about it. All old technology goes down in price. We're saying relative to regular sales, Boxing Day is looking pretty meh. That's it. It has nothing to do with being spoiled, just expecting more from our marketplace. Canadian consumers already get the short end of the stick, you want us to just lay down and take it?
BrownLotus wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 1:19 am
Geez, the nexus & is never on sale.
Dude it's already pretty much at cost. You won't see it go on sale, at least not much lower than it is to buy directly from Google.
Feb 2, 2009
121 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
BrownLotus wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 1:19 am
Geez, the nexus & is never on sale.
It was 202.00 + tax yesterday at Shoppers with the coupon. Could only buy 1 though. Still.
Dec 20, 2012
20 posts
1 upvote
can anyone tell me why is when i click on the ear phones that are on sale it says that the product is not there or something does that mean they dont have anymore left? also when i click on the tv sales it says the sale is on till the 24 th thats odd .
Mar 31, 2011
160 posts
17 upvotes
Super strokey wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 11:15 pm
Any comments on the 99 sub and the 187 onkyo amp?
$187 onkyo sr309b amp was on sale $199 2 years ago, old model but should work, I have this one working with my polk audio M70+M50. $99 for a 10" polk audio sub is not bad, but if I want a sub, I prefer 12" ones.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1321 posts
118 upvotes
Winnipeg
VanceMendoza wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 4:33 am
It's called economies of scale. Learn about it. All old technology goes down in price. We're saying relative to regular sales, Boxing Day is looking pretty meh. That's it. It has nothing to do with being spoiled, just expecting more from our marketplace. Canadian consumers already get the short end of the stick, you want us to just lay down and take it?

i know what he's saying, and he was asking if it's because we get good prices all year, or if it's because boxing day prices are high. i say it's because we get good prices all year. the boxing day prices aren't bad(some of them are "$500 off"), they just aren't any better than the incredible sales you can find in feb, oct, ect.

i don't think we are laying down at all. yes, there are some better deals in the states, and that's frustrating, especially when our dollar is stronger. but i think it's pretty ignorant to think anybody on this site year-round is 'laying down' and taking the high prices.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1321 posts
118 upvotes
Winnipeg
famouswings10 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 10:22 am
can anyone tell me why is when i click on the ear phones that are on sale it says that the product is not there or something does that mean they dont have anymore left? also when i click on the tv sales it says the sale is on till the 24 th thats odd .
the links take you to their CURRENT listing for the product. like most stores, these things are on sale more than once a year, so there is a current sale on now, and the flyer lists what the price WILL BE for boxing day/week sales. so it's just there for you to clearly see the product info, not the pricing.
as for the one that doesn't come up at all, maybe it's an item they are bringing in specifically for boxing day and don't normally carry
Dec 20, 2012
20 posts
1 upvote
Ok RFD peeps I have 1600 buxs for a tv . I want something like 60 inch 3d tv smart tv is there anything out there as for that price .Always cheaper the better but a good product .
Jun 15, 2011
37667 posts
5425 upvotes
Richmond Hill
The Samsung 40" LED looks nice for the price BUT doesn't meet two of my needs :( - Ethernet/WIFI or DLNA :(

Otherwise it has what I need.
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Feb 19, 2004
6945 posts
92 upvotes
New Westminster
that hitachi 46" looks good. has anything have any experience with Visions' tv delivery?
insert witty comment
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
3853 posts
607 upvotes
Granby
that $288 40" westinghouse can be had online too right? seems decent enough for my needs
Dec 3, 2007
235 posts
41 upvotes
Interested in the shaw hd receiver box. noob question: can i order online instead of visiting the store?
× < >