Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Visit the Grove City premium outlets (Pittsburgh) for only $78

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 25th, 2013 12:24 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2010
2153 posts
392 upvotes

Visit the Grove City premium outlets (Pittsburgh) for only $78

Deal Link:
Price:
$78
Expiry:
November 2, 2013
hey guys... I'm a long time member, but I finally decided to post something useful (I hope)

I saw this on the chinese tours webpage: a shopping tour to the Grove City Premium outlets in Pittsburgh (Pennsylvania... meaning: no tax on clothing or shoes!!!), for only $78, if you book a room for 4 people... it includes the bus trip, plus the hotel.

http://taipantours.com/Travel/Details/P ... -Days-Tour

I've traveled before with them, and they book nice, clean hotels, and give you lots of time when it's a shopping tour... and on top of that there's a visit to another mall in Pittsburgh (not an outlet, but there's a Macy's there... and macy's got awesome prices... think as Macy's like The Bay, but around 30%-50% cheaper)... so it's a pretty good deal, IMO.

Plus, if you travel on the Nov.2-3 weekend (which is what I'm doing), it's when we change back the clocks one hour, so it's one more hour to sleep before going to the mall!!

not related to them whatsoever, just wanted to share this with you all!... just remember you need a passport to cross the border
29 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4451 posts
2139 upvotes
Toronto
Do you have to be chinese to go on these tour buses? Would a non-asian or non-Cantonese/Mandarin speaking person stand out or not understand what's going on?
Banned
Oct 19, 2010
7433 posts
1142 upvotes
Mississauga East
Ha ha ha - 4 to a room?
I guess some ethnic groups are used to that.

Last time I did that was in university - but the night is just a hazy drunken memory
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2005
2370 posts
914 upvotes
Calgary
Is this trip more then 48 hrs? How does tax exemption work when boardercrossing back to canada?
Life is short make it long
Aug 2, 2006
351 posts
4 upvotes
i think over 24 hrs is up to 200 dollars
RFD is making me poor.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18226 posts
36618 upvotes
Scarborough
zz000ter wrote: Ha ha ha - 4 to a room?

Last time I did that was in university - but the night is just a hazy drunken memory
I'm pretty sure most people are used to 4 to a room. Sure it might be a little uncomfortable sleeping 4 guys to a room but there's always the floor and bathtub if it really bugs you.
azn_riceboi wrote: i think over 24 hrs is up to 200 dollars
Yup $200 for 24 hours.
RFD Staff - Got a question? Send me a private message.
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2010
2153 posts
392 upvotes
Anybody can go, they always speak in mandarin or Cantonese, and then in English (broken but understandable)

and 3 friends and myself are taking one room, but you can choose to take a room only for yourself with a friend (bit more expensive). They will never accommodate you with somebody you don't know
Repooc wrote: Do you have to be chinese to go on these tour buses? Would a non-asian or non-Cantonese/Mandarin speaking person stand out or not understand what's going on?
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2007
2105 posts
686 upvotes
The $78 per person is if you put 4 people in a room. For double occupancy it seems they charge $108. BTW, OP do you know if you have to pay extra for a 5 year old kid?
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
I can go to Grove City for FREE during my visit to Monroeville, PA on a yearly basis. Vs paying $78.
Blanka
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2007
2105 posts
686 upvotes
djemzine wrote: I can go to Grove City for FREE during my visit to Monroeville, PA on a yearly basis. Vs paying $78.
Good for you.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
7675 posts
10978 upvotes
Scarbs
zz000ter wrote: Ha ha ha - 4 to a room?

hazy drunken memories are the best kind :D
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2010
2153 posts
392 upvotes
Good question, but I don't know that. You might wanna call them to confirm that.
simplylgg wrote: The $78 per person is if you put 4 people in a room. For double occupancy it seems they charge $108. BTW, OP do you know if you have to pay extra for a 5 year old kid?
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2010
2153 posts
392 upvotes
Mmmm... Congratulations???
djemzine wrote: I can go to Grove City for FREE during my visit to Monroeville, PA on a yearly basis. Vs paying $78.
Banned
Sep 2, 2013
161 posts
84 upvotes
Brampton (in Toronto…
Jan 8, 2008
491 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
This is a pretty good deal for them. Please note that trips aren't guaranteed and they call you on the last day if the trip is/isn't guaranteed. The bus ride is indeed long and there is no Wifi or Power outlets onboard. Also note that if you are over the height of 5"10 the leg room is very tight. Also there is a MANADATORY tip payout you need to pay in USD funds for the 2 day trip they collect $9USD per a person/per a day. so this is a 2 day trip you need to pay $18USD for tips to them. They collect these funds, lunch/dinner buffet costs, Optional tourist paid areas, once you hit the border. Make sure you have USD funds on you to pay this as they will collect this. Do not opt for the dinner/lunch buffets its overpriced and bad quality food they only give you an hour to eat and poop and its very time sensitive. Another good note is this is a CHINESE TOUR bus so you will definetly be expecting people who just have visas so upon entering the border many of them will be fingerprinted and pictures taken and this can last 1-4 hours depending on person so be prepared for that. The last trip I took with them to NYC had 16 people who needed this done and we waited 3 hours for this to get done.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2010
2153 posts
392 upvotes
Partly true, but last time I traveled with them they had WiFi on the bus at no extra charge, with lots of leg room. Also, remember this is a shopping trip, so there are no extra tourist attractions to pay, and even if there were some, you don't have to pay for them if you don't want to (on a NYC trip I did, I just used the bus to get around cuz I did my own stuff)
you're right about the food.... You're better off finding a fast food joint, but again, this is a shopping trip so there are food courts at the malls.
and if you're going on a trip to the states, or any trip at all, it is always advised to carry emergency cash, do not rely 100% on credit cards... Just common sense.
iceprince wrote: This is a pretty good deal for them. Please note that trips aren't guaranteed and they call you on the last day if the trip is/isn't guaranteed. The bus ride is indeed long and there is no Wifi or Power outlets onboard. Also note that if you are over the height of 5"10 the leg room is very tight. Also there is a MANADATORY tip payout you need to pay in USD funds for the 2 day trip they collect $9USD per a person/per a day. so this is a 2 day trip you need to pay $18USD for tips to them. They collect these funds, lunch/dinner buffet costs, Optional tourist paid areas, once you hit the border. Make sure you have USD funds on you to pay this as they will collect this. Do not opt for the dinner/lunch buffets its overpriced and bad quality food they only give you an hour to eat and poop and its very time sensitive. Another good note is this is a CHINESE TOUR bus so you will definetly be expecting people who just have visas so upon entering the border many of them will be fingerprinted and pictures taken and this can last 1-4 hours depending on person so be prepared for that. The last trip I took with them to NYC had 16 people who needed this done and we waited 3 hours for this to get done.
May 16, 2007
31 posts
4 upvotes
For people considering this, you should know that you will not be visiting Pittsburgh. I just did the Woodbury tour and the hotels are usually in really random locations with hardly anything nearby. The tour takes you to the mall, drops you off, takes you to a buffet, and then takes you to the hotel. There really isn't anything else to do.

I'd recommend just driving there yourself. I visit family in Pittsburgh maybe once a year and the five hour drive really isn't that bad. If you really want to do a lot of shopping, you can stop by the Buffalo outlet mall and Grove City on the way to Pittsburgh. Book a hotel, visit the city, and then there's another Tanger outlet about half an hour south of Pittsburgh you can visit too.

Hotel (~$150/night) plus gas (~$100) makes it about $100/person for four people, which is pretty comparable to this deal's price including the tip. But you'd get the convenience of going wherever you want and less delay at the border.