Travel

Visiting the U.S. Would I be in trouble if I bring weed killer across the border?

• Last Updated:
  • May 14th, 2012 12:39 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2004
1090 posts
12 upvotes

Visiting the U.S. Would I be in trouble if I bring weed killer across the border?

Can I bring weed killer into Ontario? Thinking of packing some in my suitcase. :confused:
30 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
2884 posts
29 upvotes
Since alot of people are going to tell you to do it anyway..

If it's legal in Ontario you are fine.

If it's part of the banned pesticides/fertilizers , then it's grounds to refuse it entry and have you return it, or have it taken from you.

Andd so now do whatever what you want, just accept the reality of possible outcomes.
The wonderous minds of some RFDers:
nx2k wrote:
Apr 13th, 2009 5:47 am
so let me get this straight
if you did the crime, you should do the time?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8102 posts
1323 upvotes
London
natalienicole wrote:
Nov 30th, 2009 5:58 pm
Can I bring weed killer into Ontario? Thinking of packing some in my suitcase. :confused:
You think bringing a noxious chemical in a suitcase on an airplane is a good idea? Really?
Deal Guru
Mar 2, 2009
14142 posts
584 upvotes
Ottomaddox wrote:
Nov 30th, 2009 6:04 pm
You think bringing a noxious chemical in a suitcase on an airplane is a good idea? Really?
OP could be driving across the border...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2004
1090 posts
12 upvotes
45ED wrote:
Nov 30th, 2009 6:06 pm
OP could be driving across the border...
No...I am taking a plane.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2003
2637 posts
11 upvotes
Calgary
They will think you are a terrorist and ship you to Guantanamo bay! don't do it!
RIG SPECS: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Z170 - Intel i5 6600K @4.4GHz - GSkill Ripjaw 4 16GB Dual Channel @ 3000MHz - MSI Frozr GTX 1080 @ 1950/5000 - EVGA SUPERNOVA 1300W G2 PSU - Radeon R7 240GB x2 Raid 0
HEATWARE
Banned
Jun 19, 2006
9349 posts
42 upvotes
natalienicole wrote:
Nov 30th, 2009 6:15 pm
No...I am taking a plane.
Obviously not then, and you could even earn yourself a spot on a no-fly list if you pulled that sort of stunt, in addition to other penalties of transporting undeclared dangerous goods.

You may want to look into the requirements of 7 USC 136 o(c) and 19 C.F.R. paragraph 12.112 for the EPA licensing that may be required for importation of herbicides and pesticides into the United States. ie: you'd probably have to apply for an import license.

edit: oops, I see you want to import to Canada. Well, Environment Canada probably has the same licensing requirements which you would need to adhere to.
"I worked with several H1B employees that were/are borderline ********. One of them wanted to spray an electrical patch panel with solvent to see if it would make the “network go faster”". <--- lol (source)
Apr 20, 2009
265 posts
26 upvotes
Is there any province in Canada that is still allowed to use weed killer.

I have a trucker friend that drives coast to coast that can maybe pick some up.
Aug 31, 2004
518 posts
10 upvotes
Ottawa
natalienicole wrote:
Nov 30th, 2009 5:58 pm
Packing weedkiller in a suitcase is like packing a bottle of javol bleach in a suitcase. What hapens if it leaks... Both are noxious. In any event, you'll probably get flagged as other posters outlined earlier and then you have to dig yourself out of a hole.
Mar 15, 2007
626 posts
271 upvotes
Would I be in trouble if I bring killer weed across the border?
Either one is probably not a good idea.
I'm a travel junkie that's hooked on deals from airports that start with Y.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
3682 posts
267 upvotes
I did a lot of research into this last summer and the best I could come up with is that it's illegal to sell or use (residentially) the weed killer, but posession doesn't seem to be illegal. (assuming we're talking about 24d that is)

I may very well bring a case back next spring as I don't see how it's illegal. I'd be driving though. On a plane, all bets are off. Best advice I can give is make damn sure there's no fertilizer in there.

Actually, the best advice I can give is to ask the CBSA. They've got a hotline for stuff like this.
Everything in moderation... including moderation :twisted:
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2005
1200 posts
73 upvotes
when I read the subject, I missed the "killer" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Aug 22, 2003
15539 posts
960 upvotes
Niagara Falls
We did it all last summer and the summer before, by land. We were never once asked if we has fertilizer of weedkiller but fully declared the value. It's the neighborhood joke that if you want any of the lawn stuff that is blacklisted here to just ask my hubby, LOL!
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
11198 posts
1419 upvotes
From my research:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/pubs/pes ... ex-eng.php

Fact Sheet on the Requirements for the Commercial Importation of Pest Control Products (Pest Control Products Act)

[INDENT]Noncommercial importations are for the personal use of the importer and are not intended for resale. Chemical pest control products or devices not registered in Canada may be imported for personal use only if:

A) the total quantity of the pest control product being imported does not exceed 500 grams by mass or 500 millilitres by volume; and

B) the monetary value does not exceed $100 (Canadian)[/INDENT].

Looks like it has to be less than 500 ml or 500 grams (of 2-4-D content) , less than $100 cdn and for personal use only, not withstanding whether it's legal to apply the pesticide within that particular province. BTW, the trade names of the pesticides in the US don't coincide with the Canadian names (i.e. Killex vs. Weed be gone), so it's likely that the US name won't be registered in Canada
Jan 4, 2010
11 posts
FYI- I called and they stated the same answer as above.

The customs phone number is 18004619999 and they directed me to the Health Canada number which is 1-800-267-6315

500g or less (liquid or powder)- not for commercial use and no more then $100.

I'm also wondering why you couldn't - considering it is illegal to use in Ontario- however, may be used elsewhere in the country (i.e. a friend in Manitoba).
× < >